Matty Cash

paul514

4 minutes ago, Chicken Field said:

It is aaaaaallways Cash who fails to hold the offside line. He is always a step behind the rest of the defenders. 

Just came to post this. He's been doing it for over a year now under Emery. Never going to learn.

Just now, The_Steve said:

Needs to learn how to hold the line. 

he cant, he always struggles with it.

• Like 2

I thought he was excellent actually. Played a big part in the first goal by actually taking a risk and stepping forward rather than checking back and playing a safe pass.

He played throughout the game like he knew we needed to step up the tempo compared to everyone else who  decided to only do that forty minutes in.

Bit annoying he hardly saw the ball in last ten minutes compared to Digne who wasted so many crosses in that period.

Always bemuses me how much stick Cash gets on here as it doesn't really relate to what I see on the pitch most games.

We're going to need to see far more players take his attitude into next week to have any chance of turning this around.

• Like 4

Just now, VillaChris said:

I thought he was excellent actually. Played a big part in the first goal by actually taking a risk and stepping forward rather than checking back and playing a safe pass.

He played throughout the game like he knew we needed to step up the tempo compared to everyone else who  decided to only do that forty minutes in.

Bit annoying he hardly saw the ball in last ten minutes compared to Digne who wasted so many crosses in that period.

Always bemuses me how much stick Cash gets on here as it doesn't really relate to what I see on the pitch most games.

We're going to need to see far more players take his attitude into next week to have any chance of turning this around.

Completely agree, he's been an engine in these games. I don't know where he gets it from. 

For the first he played onside, but its risk and reward and it was brilliantly executed by them. 

Going forward he’s decent.

But every time he has to hold the offside line he’s a split second behind the other players so takes a step back just as they step forward.

• Like 1

Yea at fault for first goal but did well to get our back, overall not bad, which is a problem when he's one of the best players on the day 

He had a really good game, really positive and aggressive.  He does need to step up one or two paces though to avoid playing people onside.  Only blot on his performance 

Sadly, there are no excuses for not looking across the defensive line as a fullback before dropping. That's schoolboy stuff.

He wasn't alone, however. Digne did the same for their second.

Other than that blip he was largely positive and it was his hard running that lead to our opener.

I find him to be incredibly similar to Alan Hutton (altough better) - you can never blame his effort or attitude but he is very one dimensional and can only run in one direction, lacks football inteligence (especially when defending, he is awful at holding the defensice line), and just limited in technique. His work rate hides his limiations

He’s decent going forward at times but his lack of defensive IQ makes him a liability. Not the first time he’s made that mistake with the line.

Not our biggest problem tonight but I’d be surprised if he plays more than a minor role next season if he’s still here. We have to improve and some players will be sacrificed for that.

7 minutes ago, ozvillafan said:

Sadly, there are no excuses for not looking across the defensive line as a fullback before dropping. That's schoolboy stuff.

He wasn't alone, however. Digne did the same for their second.

Other than that blip he was largely positive and it was his hard running that lead to our opener.

Against Spurs Konsa played them all on for goals one and two IIRC.

It happens. Our offside trap is incredibly well drilled but we simply won't get it right 100% of the time.

Cash showed excellent mentality after this "error" in a way I'm afraid Douglas Luiz simply didn't after making a worse decision for the third goal.

• Like 1

Good when he started bombing forward but we don't do that very often with the RB in this system. He was the one player who was suited to the way Gerrard played, a lot of running up and town and arrive in the box, getting to the byline and crossing. He's not a 3rd CB, why do we keep trying to do it? Play Konsa RB and Carlos CB. 

Â