Matty Cash

paul514

He had a really hard game Sunday against two of the leagues in-form wingers.

People have mentioned him backing off and I somewhat agree, sometimes I was urging him to "make a tackle", but that comes with its own risks such as;

Beating him means our other CBs then have to shift over to his position to stop the winger shooting, which then allows Brighton to get more men in the box and have more options (pull back, driven crosses, shots on goal).  Ergo, we're WAY more likely to concede if he doesn't back off and get beat easily.  

I think it was probably part of the plan "do not let them last you, give them a yard and make them make the mistakes".  

By him letting the wingers get closer to the box/in the box, they've still got to beat his block, plus we maintain our strength in height and body numbers by not having one of Tyrone/Konsa having to get over to his position.

I actually think that whilst from a distance it looked like he struggled, I actually think in hindsight he had a great game, because we saw him make blocks, saw him make the wingers put the ball out of play and not many big chances came from his side, despite him not appearing to get stuck in.  It was a really strong game from him tactically.

All that said, I think RB will be a place Unai looks to bring another body in (hopefully of the level of Moreno or better!) 

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

• 3 weeks later...
4 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Is he injured? Hasnt been involved Poland squad this time around

yes, he played our last PL game with injections afaik, so unfit for the Poland games.

• Like 1

I guess Matty hasn’t really had that much of a chance to prove himself to Unai, what with injuries and WC involvement…

We could see an improvement in his game, much like our other players such as McGinn…

We need competition for his position at the minimum though, if not an upgrade…

8 hours ago, Jas10 said:

I guess Matty hasn’t really had that much of a chance to prove himself to Unai, what with injuries and WC involvement…

We could see an improvement in his game, much like our other players such as McGinn…

We need competition for his position at the minimum though, if not an upgrade…

He's started 15 out of the 20 or so games he's been available under Emery so I don't really get this thing that Emery dosen't rate him that much.

Take the end of season. He had the injury from playing for Poland. Just missed out on making the bench for Wolves, then came on for last 10 minutes v Spurs to see out the game and then he started at Anfield and v Brighton.

Emery could've easily just decided to stick with Young given he was consistent during April against some good teams.

Was same after WC, was on the bench for Liverpool and Spurs but then started pretty much every game until the March injury.

Of course after all that dosen't mean we won't sign another RB given we're a bit short there now and Cash does pick up injuries during a season that keep him out for 4-5 weeks at a time.

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

He's started 15 out of the 20 or so games he's been available under Emery so I don't really get this thing that Emery dosen't rate him that much.

Take the end of season. He had the injury from playing for Poland. Just missed out on making the bench for Wolves, then came on for last 10 minutes v Spurs to see out the game and then he started at Anfield and v Brighton.

Emery could've easily just decided to stick with Young given he was consistent during April against some good teams.

Was same after WC, was on the bench for Liverpool and Spurs but then started pretty much every game until the March injury.

Of course after all that dosen't mean we won't sign another RB given we're a bit short there now and Cash does pick up injuries during a season that keep him out for 4-5 weeks at a time.

Had a fairly disruptive season, injuries and knocks. Hard for him to get any consistency.

Hopefully he’ll fare better next season, I expect Unai to bring the whole squad on even more… especially with new signings to help and enhance the team..

• 2 weeks later...
19 minutes ago, alreadyexists said:

I don’t know what Cashy has been up to over summer but he looks 10 years older! 

That's what playing for Poland does to you. 

• Haha 1

20 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

That’s a combination I never thought I’d see! 

It's a good watch. Not a bad player also, suppose to be a very good golfer aswell 👍

22 minutes ago, villan-scott said:

That’s a combination I never thought I’d see! 

I saw a photo of Ollie Watkins with Chris Hemsworth ( Thor ) in Ibiza the other day, so that's another one!

20 minutes ago, Nigel said:

I have a feeling we are going to see Diego on the right.

That would be a turn up for the books!

The fella is large. Not sure how well he'd deal with wingers.

Â