Matty Cash

paul514

2 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Cash may step it up but he's a wing back, not a defensively minded full back.

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Also was used further forward and it wasn’t his game.

The opposing views about Cash around here are always interesting...

2 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

When I say further forward I mean in midfield. It wasn’t a wing back role.  I don’t think he looked comfortable at all.

OK, I thought you meant as wing back as opposed to defensively-minded full back.

I agree that he's not a midfielder...and he himself has said that he doesn't think that he would make a good pure winger. I wouldn't call how he played against Brentford a midfield role, however.

Finding a wing back who is world class both in defending and in attacking is rare. He's good at both with obvious flaws at both. As I've said before, he's a competent on-the-ball defender who has occasional concentration lapses that cause him to lose his mark off the ball. He's good at advancing the ball but his final ball is inconsistent. You might find someone who's better at one or the other, but you will pay big, big money for someone better at both attacking and defending.

In the Newcastle match, we saw Unai will be willing to let both fullbacks attack in some matches (though not simultaneously). Against Brentford, we saw that Unai will be willing to flip last season's system and have the RB as the wingback with the LB "stay-at-home." With that sort of flexibility, Cash still has a valuable role in this team.

There’s still times when it looks he’s thinking too much on the ball but they are getting fewer. More comfortable taking it inside when there’s space instead of pinging it down the line and also more comfortable keeping possession and playing it back. 

Had a nice take down and assist for mcginn and also a nice bit of play where he cut inside of pressure in the second half and made a nice switch to Revan eventually leading to the 3rd goal. 

Think we still need another player pushing him as well as concerns over his injury history. 

He's becoming much more confident at passing around corners using both feet now. Previously he would be stuck to a long ball down the line into the channel or a chop back. 

The work Emery is doing with each player has moved each one up a level or two

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, May-Z said:

He's becoming much more confident at passing around corners using both feet now. Previously he would be stuck to a long ball down the line into the channel or a chop back. 

The work Emery is doing with each player has moved each one up a level or two

I think he’s a fine starter and we need someone who can back him up and push him some as previously stated. He has played a lot of minutes this preseason. 

1 hour ago, The_Steve said:

Handled the Valencia press well and got forward well. My only criticism was the crossing. But overall looked very good last night. 

Yeah this was an important thing for him. Valencia aren't a good side by any stretch, but they did put our defenders under pressure and we needed to see Cash handle it well (and he did.). 

• Like 1

Â