Matty Cash

paul514

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

He looked better in the second half but his shortcomings and lack of pace are holding him back. The RB position is going to be addressed for sure - but we need better competition if he’s to stay. 

Saying that his is a position that we might to look for an upgrade is a perfectly reasonable statement. You could say the same about a few in our first eleven, that's how we progress as a squad. I just get fed up with fans slagging our own players off, calling them bad players and treating them like some kind of problem, when in reality, our whole squad have stepped up their game massively. The same happened with Bailey and people were getting really toxic when what he needed was our support and patience.

It's not like when we played the peripheral players in the cups against Man Utd and Stevenage. You could tell that Unai was not happy with those players and he has barely picked them as starters since. We should be more supportive of our players. If we replace them, that's one thing but far too many people are becoming toxic against players they should be supporting.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Saying that his is a position that we might to look for an upgrade is a perfectly reasonable statement. You could say the same about a few in our first eleven, that's how we progress as a squad. I just get fed up with fans slagging our own players off, calling them bad players and treating them like some kind of problem, when in reality, our whole squad have stepped up their game massively. The same happened with Bailey and people were getting really toxic when what he needed was our support and patience.

It's not like when we played the peripheral players in the cups against Man Utd and Stevenage. You could tell that Unai was not happy with those players and he has barely picked them as starters since. We should be more supportive of our players. If we replace them, that's one thing but far too many people are becoming toxic against players they should be supporting.

As long as people aren't booing them or abusing them on social media, I think discussing our players' shortcomings on here is absolutely fine.

I would say right back is one of the areas we should be looking to upgrade.

Personally thought Cash was our poorest player yesterday but to be honest, particularly first half, the defence (excluding Digne) weren't at their best.

I think overall he allowed crosses into the box too easy and was beaten one on one too easily.

There were some factors in his defence though like for example he was up against very good players, a number of times he wasn't helped so the winger was doubled up on and also he isn't long back from injury.

As we look to move on from top 7-10 to the next positions we'll need to upgrade in certain positions and right back surely is high on that list.

• Like 1

Thought he had a real tough match against Enciso and Mitoma and was blowing around 60 minutes. 

Which made it more surprising for me that Unai didn’t substitute him out for Ash. 

Unai can be ruthless, but feel like sometimes he will leave them there if they’re fit enough to say, “I believe in you, back yourself to stop him.”

Cash has the athleticism and of our defenders, played the least under Unai so I’m hoping Unai can work his magic with Cash too. 

Before his injury Cash looked really good I thought...

He's been chucked back in and has struggled a little, possibly a match-fitness issue. Yes it was a tough game for him and receiving the yellow early on nullified his play a little but I thought he looked better in the second-half. Cash led Mitoma down a few dead-ends and got the better of him a few times.

Brighton are much stronger down that side and they did seem to target him a little also.

I really like Cash, possibly because my eight year old loves him.

Not called up for Poland and reportedly had injections to play the last two games. Explains a little bit and also a big question mark over Ash's fitness for the last two matches as well.

Glad he did what he could to pull through against some tricky customers.

With Young moving on it strongly hints we will be in for a new RB, can't see Cash wanting to play second fiddle to someone as he'll want to get back into the Poland team. So maybe we will see a major and minor signing in this area.

3 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

With Young moving on it strongly hints we will be in for a new RB, can't see Cash wanting to play second fiddle to someone as he'll want to get back into the Poland team. So maybe we will see a major and minor signing in this area.

I hope Cash has a little more faith in his abilities to fight for a starting place in the team. He's a good player and we need good players coming off the bench to have a shot at the top of the table.

Who plays at RB if this new signing gets injured like most of our new signings do? Cash isn't going anywhere. If he's good enough to start World cup knock out matches he's good enough to start for us in the europa.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Who plays at RB if this new signing gets injured like most of our new signings do? Cash isn't going anywhere. If he's good enough to start World cup knock out matches he's good enough to start for us in the europa.

He won't hang around to be on the bench he'll want to keep his place in the Poland team above all else.

8 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

He won't hang around to be on the bench he'll want to keep his place in the Poland team above all else.

Poland don't have endless top level players in all positions. Bednarek still made their World cup squad despite barely playing for us when we were s*** and not featuring much for Southampton before they loaned him to us.

Cash will still be called up regularly unless there's been increased level of dissent against him since that injury he picked up in March.

Does feel a bit bizarre people are claiming Emery dosen't rate him when he's started pretty much all our matches under him when fully fit. Emery didn't have to start him at Anfield given his near two month lay off but he did so I don't see him just getting sold if we sign a new RB, that will be more of a Young replacement.

Having Chambers as backup RB next season is certainly a big downgrade from what we've had this season anyway imo.

• Like 2

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

The point is if he performs on the pitch and in training he won't be on the bench, regardless of who we sign. Competition is healthy and we'll have a lot of games next season.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, AV82 said:

The point is if he performs on the pitch and in training he won't be on the bench, regardless of who we sign. Competition is healthy and we'll have a lot of games next season.

Thanks for stating the obvious but the point is Cash seems to have fallen out of favour and we are apparantely looking for new starting RB.

Just said something in the young chat.

Cash has very poor positional sense....and its been happing all season and last season too.

He backs off too much and tucks in too much...almost CB

Every winger gets a good 30 yards to run at him and all.the space in the world to get a pass....every team we play against exploits this and it ends up.being resolute defending rather than good defending on the edge of the box...or most times....allows a cross to come in.

Watch the season back you'll see what I'm.on about.

Definitely need a RB and a better one too

Edited by Bazmonkey

Has been a bit unfortunate with not regaining his place after Young did well post-WC, and then his injury.

I’m willing to give Cash some more time to see if he can improve in the same way others like McGinn, Mings and Konsa have under Emery, before I’d be wanting him to move on. With Young not getting a new deal, there will be a new RB coming in regardless so hopefully it’s someone to challenge for the starting spot and it spurs Matty on.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Cash has very poor positional sense....and its been happing all season and last season too.

Every winger gets a good 30 yards to run at him and all.the space in the world to get a pass....every team we play against exploits this and it ends up.being resolute defending rather than good defending on the edge of the box...or most times....allows a cross to come in.

i agree with most of your points, we defo need a new RB to compete with Cash, not an understudy to Cash.....tbh we need a new starter who Cash can compete with.

Cash is ok, decent.....but he is a very limited full back.

• Like 1

Before his injury Cash was playing really well....

Like others given a bit of luck with injuries Cash can also improve under a elite manager such as Emery.

I had a feeling he was rushed back, didn't look quite fit, I thought it was match-fitness but seems like the injury wasn't completely gone. Fair play to cash for playing through it. Respect.

8 hours ago, Bazmonkey said:

Not noticed that, but have to say our high line is faultless with Moreno, Ming's, Konsa, young.   Less faultless with the other options.... Really like cash though so hope he can improve on this and stay around the club

Â