Matty Cash

paul514

12 hours ago, Jas10 said:

Don't think the defensive side is the issue there. For me, he'd need to work on his composure on the ball - he likes operating at a fast speed, whereas this role would require someone who can hold it up when necessary and calmly choose the right pass under pressure. That's not really his game. 

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, lexicon said:

Don't think the defensive side is the issue there. For me, he'd need to work on his composure on the ball - he likes operating at a fast speed, whereas this role would require someone who can hold it up when necessary and calmly choose the right pass under pressure. That's not really his game. 

For me it really is. Cash is way too aggressive in going for tackles and Interceptions. He's really compromising as he often gets beat by balls over the top, in one on one situations and dives in way too often giving away pens, free kicks and 2 on 1 situations. 

That's on top of his offensive limitations. 

• Like 2

47 minutes ago, lexicon said:

33 minutes ago, MotoMkali said:

For me it really is. Cash is way too aggressive in going for tackles and Interceptions. He's really compromising as he often gets beat by balls over the top, in one on one situations and dives in way too often giving away pens, free kicks and 2 on 1 situations. 

Not disagreeing but… maybe Unai can improve and educate him as he has done (and will continue to do) with others… Matty probably had the least time or opportunity to impress him. World Cup involvement and injuries and knocks. His assist for Watkins was quite impressive too…

I mean, you’re kind of describing McGinn in a way too and Unai calmed him down, made him more composed and able to take more touches of the ball before releasing it, for example… what a turnaround in form.

I expect further improvement in our players because of Unai and his coaching methods. Some quality additions will make us a lot stronger too and a really formidable and dangerous side.

So much to look forward to.

• Like 2

Tbh I don't see McGinn and Cash as similar at all. McGinn's problem IMO was that he was coasting and not serious about his physical conditioning. He lost quite a lot of weight and has adopted a more serious, professional attitude rather than being the class clown 'lad' everyone likes. 

For Cash, it's a different case for me. Konsa is a far closer equivalent, in that he has become better under pressure and a little more expansive with his passing. Everyone has ceilings but this is not a strength of Cash's, so it depends on how well he can train himself mentally. 

13 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Not disagreeing but… maybe Unai can improve and educate him as he has done (and will continue to do) with others… Matty probably had the least time or opportunity to impress him. World Cup involvement and injuries and knocks. His assist for Watkins was quite impressive too…

I mean, you’re kind of describing McGinn in a way too and Unai calmed him down, made him more composed and able to take more touches of the ball before releasing it, for example… what a turnaround in form.

I expect further improvement in our players because of Unai and his coaching methods. Some quality additions will make us a lot stronger too and a really formidable and dangerous side.

So much to look forward to.

Excellent post .... I agree 100%. Cash was in and out last season due to injury and then not being fully up to pace after the World Cup break. He can be a blank canvas for Unai to create the kind of holding right back he wants. He has the right attitude and physicality, now he needs Emery to coach the tactical and positioning awareness into his game.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

That would be a turn up for the books!

The fella is large. Not sure how well he'd deal with wingers.

Just give them a death stare and flex his quads. And if that doesnt work just stamp on them . 

1 hour ago, Tomaszk said:

That would be a turn up for the books!

The fella is large. Not sure how well he'd deal with wingers.

It will be a back 3 pretty much, but he is quick for a big man. The more I think about it he's pretty perfect for the role.

I think cash will then be used when we need to open up.

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

Really enjoyed that, got a good luck at Bodymoor too but… why so many close ups of his hands and is Starbucks our next sponsor? 🤣

Club content is getting better…

yep. more of the same please villa.

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

My eight year old will love that...my son and I met him after the Forest game at Villa Park and he was a proper gent. Funny thing was he stopped and spoke to about sixty people and took selfies, autographs etc...thing is after he took my phone he didn't take the photo so I had to call back to him to do a re-take. 

As mentioned before I really like Cash and think he will improve under Emery.

I can also see a rotation between him and Konsa now and again.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, Jas10 said:

Really enjoyed that, got a good luck at Bodymoor too but… why so many close ups of his hands and is Starbucks our next sponsor? 🤣

Club content is getting better…

The videographer didn’t get enough b-roll, so milked the little he had, such as the hand shots. 

But I enjoyed that, he seems a nice character and liked by his team mates and staff. 

BMH, gave me college campus vibes. And atmosphere there felt relaxed and calm. 

On 10/07/2023 at 10:10, MotoMkali said:

I wouldn't call it "too aggressive", I would call that "reckless".....I too worry about balls over the top of him.

UE may decide to work on his game and mould him in to what he wants.

With the varying/ optional style of Matty and Konsa....I don't see another right back coming in.

29 minutes ago, Jas10 said:

It was a clue from the club showing his hands that Cashy is going to be our back up goalkeeper next season.  So obvious… 😜

• Haha 1

Â