Matty Cash

paul514

16 hours ago, rodders0223 said:

Honestly he plays better without Bailey.

When I see Cash and Bailey I'm reminded of an old five a side friend who would think he was Pele.

You'd be open. He'd look at you. You're screaming for at him  to give you the ball. You'd wait an hour and then he'd only give it you when he had no choice and you were getting closed down yourself.

"I don’t ****ing what it now!!!"

Cash plays well because he has that understanding with McGinn from the Gerrard era. McGinn puts him through on the overlap and is also positionally aware to now cover the space behind him. Where a Buendia/Bailey or similar if they were in RM would then charge into the the box to try get on the end of a Cash cross or pull back. 

Cash is asked and given license to play his game by McGinn being there. I feel we are best with the 4 CMs in the side 

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Were both fullbacks attacking though as normally it’s more down the left than the right. 

Seemed pretty equal to me. Maybe cash slightly more

1 hour ago, burchy said:

Didn’t see the Palace game but how did we set up, from the reports I’ve read Cash was allowed to get forward more.

Did we swap the 442 side and have Moreno/Digne more defensive while Cash bombed on?

No we played 4 4 2 but Buendia would drop off the forward line deeper with Cash and Moreno allowed to get forward to give the width. So the choice of when to get overlap was covered by McGinn or JJ who are experienced players at covering the full backs. I think it suits McGinns game more than JJs. Ramsey likes to carry the ball forward and it's tricky how he works as LM when Moreno is told to attack down the flank.

I think JJ is better with Digne behind him as Digne doesn't carry the ball forward. Moreno does and JJ does. While on the right side you've McGinn and Cash who know eachother well and both can choose to attack or defend and that gives options. 

Edited by CVByrne

i think he needs to be competition for a new RB.

He is a good player, but he also has some glaring weaknesses, he is so poor on the ball i cant believe he was ever a winger/midfielder (obviously i know he was - but its amazing that he was).

Not knocking him, he would be a good squad player, but i also think we could do with an upgrade in the RB position, a bit like we have with Moreno at LB.

• Like 1

I think he had a great game yesterday, and in my opinion he's our best full back. Better than Young, better than Digne, better than Moreno. I like him.

• Like 2

55 minutes ago, Risso said:

I think he had a great game yesterday, and in my opinion he's our best full back. Better than Young, better than Digne, better than Moreno. I like him.

Not better than Moreno for me. 50/50 between him and Young.

Cash and Moreno first choices now....

I like Cash, has improved his game recently and if given the opportunity will continue to do so under an elite manager.

Against Palace no player won more tackles (5) or completed more dribbles (3) than Matty Cash.

Three very good games in a row from him.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, The_Steve said:

His positioning and marking was awful today. Benrahma ran rings around him. Not good enough to be starting next season. 

Thankfully Benrahma had no end product today otherwise we could have been hammered 

2 minutes ago, HeyAnty said:

Thankfully Benrahma had no end product today otherwise we could have been hammered 

He got in 10 shots today, with 5 on target, not to mention of his crossing. Thankfully, he couldn't finish for toffee.

• Like 1

i realy dont rate Cash, might be ok as a squad player, but the RB position needs upgrading in the summer, Cash just gets turned or taken out of the game too easily.

Not saying he isnt a good player, he is, but he is poor technically, and tbh i think against trickier players he regularly gets turned over and over.

• Like 4

Its no good me commenting,because I rate full backs on their defending first and attacking second.

but I have seen teams often this season, drop long diagonal balls over the top of our full backs, like yesterday.....and they do it, to gain advantage.

We have full backs who struggle to defend those balls and too many crosses come in to our area.....that leaves 2 centre backs to do too much defending.

I saw Emi Buendia, lose his rag with Moreno for not intercepting the ball and sleeping.

Its great to see full backs whipping balls in to Ollie.....but they have to do more than just that in my book.

8 hours ago, The_Steve said:

The problem for Cash is, when he’s unable to get forward, his defensive weaknesses are greatly exposed. I think Unai waited too long to take him off yesterday. 

I agree.

The problem I have, is that in modern day football, they appraise them on their ability to go forward, before their ability to defend.

I can't do that.

23 hours ago, The_Steve said:

His positioning and marking was awful today. Benrahma ran rings around him. Not good enough to be starting next season. 

He’s always drifting into the centre, leaving all the space down that wing, he does it every game 

56 minutes ago, rbcuk said:

He’s always drifting into the centre, leaving all the space down that wing, he does it every game 

tbf that is probably the tactic, compacting one side of the pitch is a common tactic that is exposed if the opposition team can open the pitch up for a switch to the other flank.

Anyways, doesn't take away from the fact that Cash is super suspect defensively though, on that i totally agree.

I like Cash, but he always has to play at full tilt to join in the game and it disrupts everything he does. 

For me, I can accept the scrambled defending, but I think he is stunting us quite a lot through his safe passing. He's just not brave enough to pass through the lines, so more often than not he goes backwards. Very Neil Taylor-esque. 

A ball player, not too far off the standard of a younger Ashley Young would have a big impact imo.

Edited by May-Z
  • Like 2

Â