Matty Cash

paul514

3 hours ago, IrishVilla10 said:

I think he’s a good player, and would probably benefit from playing a purely defensive role. But I wouldn’t be surprised if he’s starting on the bench this season with a centre back playing ahead of him. 

I think Emery has only done this at one club, everywhere else he has used a proper eighth back. I’d be very surprised if Cash isn’t the starting one

Having let Young leave, we must be in the market for a new right back. I know that Chambers and Konsa could fill in there but neither are anything more than an emergency fill in. I also think that Cashy is the obvious weakness in our first eleven in terms of technical capability. He is so nervous in possession and although we tend to focus attack down the left I’m sure Unai must want a more technically assured player at right back.

The links to alternative right backs do seem to be a bit thin on the ground. There have been a few mentions in the media but nothing with any traction. I would think that we’ll try and move some players on before returning to right back in a few weeks. Maybe a loan with option to buy. Anyone got any ideas? Someone who is comfortable in possession, quick, physical and fairly tall would be the ideal.

• Like 1

Cash is not a weak link in our team. I have no idea where you get this idea that he is nervous on the ball and can't pass the ball. Utter rubbish! He has been a solid player for us since his arrival, is rarely responsible for conceded goals and is quite capable going forward. Nothing he has done makes me concerned about him as a player for us. No he isn't our best player on the pitch but the idea that he desperately needs to be replaced is nonsense. What we need is another right back to compete with him who can offer different strengths to give us options.

• Like 4

13 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

Cash is not a weak link in our team. I have no idea where you get this idea that he is nervous on the ball and can't pass the ball. Utter rubbish! He has been a solid player for us since his arrival, is rarely responsible for conceded goals and is quite capable going forward. Nothing he has done makes me concerned about him as a player for us. No he isn't our best player on the pitch but the idea that he desperately needs to be replaced is nonsense. What we need is another right back to compete with him who can offer different strengths to give us options.

Defensively I would say he is. We are playing with a very high line which requires our back four to be very careful in holding the line, you could see Cash not coping so well with this at several times last season. I think it was the game against Arsenal at home where they ran through several times and often it was Cash who didn't hold the line. Also in other games I have noticed that. Also defensively he is not 100%, a bit clumsy and rash in his tackles and sometimes gives away cheap free kicks. His passing is allthough not bad, not top class either. I think all this contributed to Emery preferring Young as RB last season.

Cash has got a really good engine, running up and down the pitch and gets himself into dangerous positions, creating space for our attacking players. A good lad and a good buy, but not good enough to be our first choice for where we are now imo.  

• Like 1

Right back is now the weakest position in the XI.

Lot to like about Cash and definitely keep him in the squad but we need an upgrade that doesn’t get pulled out of position like Cash sometimes and can deliver quality in the final third.

• Like 4

I think whether we need a new RB basically depends what job is going to be asked of them most of the time which we don't really know yet. If it's going to be a more defensive player tucked in I'm going to guess we use Konsa or Carlos there and don't sign one. However if they're expected to get forward and provide width then I'd say Cash needs some competition.

50 minutes ago, Monkeypuzzle said:

A bit aggressive for a Sunday afternoon mate. Anyway, I didn’t say that he can’t pass the ball. I do however think that when he receives the ball in tight areas he struggles. He either loses possession or plays the ball down the line into the channel. This is not what Unai wants. 

• Like 2

Cash was very good in the period at the start of our 10 game run unbeaten. He got injured then with Poland and said he wasn't fully fit for end of the season. He's clearly a very good player. I do think he'll mix it with Konsa at times in RB though

• Like 2

2 hours ago, M_Afro said:

Having let Young leave, we must be in the market for a new right back. I know that Chambers and Konsa could fill in there but neither are anything more than an emergency fill in. I also think that Cashy is the obvious weakness in our first eleven in terms of technical capability. He is so nervous in possession and although we tend to focus attack down the left I’m sure Unai must want a more technically assured player at right back.

The links to alternative right backs do seem to be a bit thin on the ground. There have been a few mentions in the media but nothing with any traction. I would think that we’ll try and move some players on before returning to right back in a few weeks. Maybe a loan with option to buy. Anyone got any ideas? Someone who is comfortable in possession, quick, physical and fairly tall would be the ideal.

Juan Foyth was class in that run Villareal had in europe and he has previous experience with Spurs in prem but doubt they'd sell half of their defence to us in one summer.

• Like 1

39 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Cash was very good in the period at the start of our 10 game run unbeaten. He got injured then with Poland and said he wasn't fully fit for end of the season. He's clearly a very good player. I do think he'll mix it with Konsa at times in RB though

UE still put him in for the Anfield game and then Brighton decider so I don't think he's as anti-Cash as half of this forum seems to believe.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

UE still put him in for the Anfield game and then Brighton decider so I don't think he's as anti-Cash as half of this forum seems to believe.

A vote of confidence more than anything. Let Young go and not had a RB as anywhere on the priority list. Probably won't sign one at all

7 hours ago, Keener window-cleaner said:

Defensively I would say he is. We are playing with a very high line which requires our back four to be very careful in holding the line, you could see Cash not coping so well with this at several times last season. I think it was the game against Arsenal at home where they ran through several times and often it was Cash who didn't hold the line. Also in other games I have noticed that. Also defensively he is not 100%, a bit clumsy and rash in his tackles and sometimes gives away cheap free kicks. His passing is allthough not bad, not top class either. I think all this contributed to Emery preferring Young as RB last season.

Cash has got a really good engine, running up and down the pitch and gets himself into dangerous positions, creating space for our attacking players. A good lad and a good buy, but not good enough to be our first choice for where we are now imo.  

Last game against Brighton was another one.

Will see how he develops. Already glimpses of different tactical instructions in possession. 

I think Unai likes his athleticism, but the question is if Cash can keep up with the demands that will be placed on him. 

Either way, desperately need another RB for competition/rotation. 

1 hour ago, DJBOB said:

Will see how he develops. Already glimpses of different tactical instructions in possession. 

I think Unai likes his athleticism, but the question is if Cash can keep up with the demands that will be placed on him. 

Either way, desperately need another RB for competition/rotation. 

I’d want a new starter to be honest.

I have never been keen on Cash and if someone came in with the money we have seen in media reports from previous windows I wouldn’t be sad to see him go, book an FFP profit and try for better.

Â