Matty Cash

paul514

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

you don't need to be at the training camp....to stop a cross.

he couldn't stop a pig in an entry.

its clear, he lets too many crosses come in to the box....just lately added nothing passes to his game too.

I am totally with UE on this.

I dont rate him  myself. Think hes a poor fullback and his crossing is woeful. He is just a runner. 

• Like 1

I do wonder what future holds for him. I think Emery wants a passing RB and Young is a far better passer of the ball especially his long passes. Cash is a good defender and is athletic, he can get up and down the right side and carries the ball forward more than people realise. We all know Young is getting on and Hayden is at least 18 months away from competing for the position. 

On left side Digne is a good passer, his short pass % is very high for full back. Cash is bottom 20% and Digne top 20% in this department in top leagues. So on left we've options of Digne or Moreno they offer different things. I feel like Emery will want a new RB in who can be key to building from the back. Hayden feels a natural RM in Emery system. 

I think Young will get an extension and Cash is on a long term contract and is a quality player. In 18 months time though Cash might be wanting a move.

Just now, bobzy said:

Cash in front of Young worked very well when he came on against Spurs. That sort of versatility is useful in a squad. 

I think Emery has that idea for the full backs and why he wants two good options on both sides as he will use his subs. 

The issue with Cash is he isn't a good passer of the ball and building up from the back isn't going to work with him in RB unless we are playing a team who don't press high 

• Like 1

i think his days are numbered as a first choice 11 player.

im not sure if that means he will be sold, or act as backup/competition, but looking at Moreno i dont think Cash is an Emery type of player at all.

We may go for a more defensive right back to balance the left back/right back thing, but i just dont see that being Cash long term under Emery.

• Like 1

44 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

im not sure if that means he will be sold, or act as backup/competition, but looking at Moreno i dont think Cash is an Emery type of player at all.

We may go for a more defensive right back to balance the left back/right back thing, but i just dont see that being Cash long term under Emery.

Nor me. He’s perhaps an unfortunate casualty because I really like him and he’s not a bad player. He was a cracking signing for the money we paid. 

But he has his limits. At the end of the day, if all our players were up to it, we’d have finished in the top half of the league by now. We haven’t, and players like Cash, Konsa, Luiz, Buendia are not good enough to get us there I don’t think.

A good offer and we sell. He’s regressed massively and the qualities he offers have become far less obvious. But I’d welcome some quality competition for him too. Kaine might be too inexperienced this season to step up. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, The_Steve said:

He’s regressed massively and the qualities he offers have become far less obvious. But I’d welcome some quality competition for him too. Kaine might be too inexperienced this season to step up. 

Every player regressed under Gerrard. Cash will be a solid premier league player under a better manager such as Emery.  Whether Emery gives him that chance or not though, he might find someone better from Europe.  

As for KKH, there's still a 90% chance he'll never make it at the Premier League level and 99.999999% chance he's not ready to step up this season.

• Like 1

I feel as soon as Gerrard started to curb his attacking runs it really messed with his own identity and confidence, he has always excelled as an attacking full back - and he uses his pace well to defend, but as soon as he is turned into a tentative defensive right back who mainly passes backwards he seems to lose heart and composure.

He is out of form and lacking belief, he was good at times during the world cup, but we haven't seen vintage Matty Cash in a long time, Slipping Steve pummelled the last of his form firmly out of him.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, The_Steve said:

A good offer and we sell. He’s regressed massively and the qualities he offers have become far less obvious. But I’d welcome some quality competition for him too. Kaine might be too inexperienced this season to step up. 

What? No he hasn't - we've just found his ceiling, that's all. Not really developing is not the same as regressing. 

13 hours ago, MaVilla said:

This guy said pretty much the same about Cash even before we played Man Utd 

Good video of Emerys tactics in Spain and how he expects him to implement them at Villa and that exposes Matty Cash 

20 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

I feel as soon as Gerrard started to curb his attacking runs it really messed with his own identity and confidence, he has always excelled as an attacking full back - and he uses his pace well to defend, but as soon as he is turned into a tentative defensive right back who mainly passes backwards he seems to lose heart and composure.

He is out of form and lacking belief, he was good at times during the world cup, but we haven't seen vintage Matty Cash in a long time, Slipping Steve pummelled the last of his form firmly out of him.

the thing is tho, Cash isnt that good in an attacking sense.

He is quick, which is a huge asset, but he is very uncomfortable on the ball, not a technical player, and he cant cross for toffee.

He isnt a bad player tho, he is decent, but he defo isnt a great "attacking full back", other than his pace.

8 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

the thing is tho, Cash isnt that good in an attacking sense.

He is quick, which is a huge asset, but he is very uncomfortable on the ball, not a technical player, and he cant cross for toffee.

He isnt a bad player tho, he is decent, but he defo isnt a great "attacking full back", other than his pace.

The truth is always halfway between two opinions, he can assist and score - he has shown that, he can cross well also, but plenty of times he has lacked composure and his crossing is awful, but then again Digne's crossing is equally poor most of the time. If we play on the break Cash and even Digne are assets, if we play slow build up 'unlock the defence' style football, we end up trying to cross into a box full of defending players and every ball is blocked easily, don't think that is completely down to the level of crossing, more that there is no movement or targeting of someone to cross to, or too many players to bypass.

Agree 100% his pace is his greatest asset. We can play to his strengths if Emery wants to play that way and thinks he can coach him better.

We brought him after one year after playing Right Back.

Like many of the players we have recently brought....they are learning on the job and in the Prem.

His defensive frailties IMO mean we should be looking for better...his main problem is his positioning.....he allows wingers to much time and space.....I would love to play as a winger against him...get a 20 yard head start and a free touch before he even starts to close me down.

• Like 1

54 minutes ago, VillanousOne said:

He hasn't for me. He can bomb up and down all day, but he hasn't got the skill to beat a man, is an average crosser of the ball, and he doesn't have the composure to regularly pick out dangerous cutbacks. He also doesn't spot penetrative passes like Ashley Young does.

• Like 1

Â