Matty Cash

paul514

1 hour ago, VillaChris said:

Club probably didn't want to offer him a new deal but Gerrard was adamant so that's where giving a limited manager like him so much control over transfers is a bit of a problem.

I can remember the Atletico link and considering Trippier did well for them for two seasons could understand why Simeone could see potential in Cash.

He's getting plenty of criticism currently but I do think some of it is unjust.

20/21- comes in and slots into one of the best performing defences in that season. We kept clean sheets in nearly half our prem games.

21/22- In a very average season for individuals generally rated as one of our better ones on here.

22/23- Not so good so far but still started in two of our best wins of the season v Man. United and Brighton. Also enhanced his value by having a good world cup.

Considering he wasn't some wonderkid in the championship like Sessegnon and Djed Spence were I think overall he's done well for us.

Pretty clear he isn't what UE is looking for in a full back but I can't believe with him being mid 20s and what he's produced in last three years we're going to have issues moving him on for 25-30m. Leicester would have him I reckon, Palace aswell. 

We are talking about his form of late......He was much better some time back.

you can't dine out on what you did in the past.....we need to progress, and to do that, we need consistent performances, and performers.

We as supporters have our opinions and you can only comment on what you see.

If his form returns, and defies, what I am seeing at Present.....I will say so, and it will please me, to say so.

1 hour ago, Tom13 said:

Lowton was an intelligent fullback. Not blessed with electric pace or anything, but he knew how to defend.

did he....is that why we let him go?

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

shows what we know....

just kidding.....but players form deviates, and we as fans can only give our views on what we see, in any given match.

Its consistency, that defines a players status, and the ones who have it, are among the best.

I think Matty was playing better, for us a while back.....he seems to have lost the fire in his belly ( As pep says)

He looks far too passive, for me.

I know for sure, UE will not tolerate passive players.

I like Cashy. Seems a good lad and is solid enough but we could do with upgrading. What I wouldn't do, is what we did with Ings, and sell our best player in a position before we have bought a better replacement. 

Ash is having a good season but is very limited given his lack of pace and is to be used as a stop gap and not a regular starter.

Keep him until the summer and explore options.

Edited by GlobalVillan
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

No need for the patronising tone thanks.

sorry, didn't mean to be....just frustrated with your comment.

my wording was lazy and should have been better.

Sorry Tom.

Edited by TRO

4 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

And tbf my memory of Lowton may not be right but you don't play that many games for an all-defensive Burnley side not knowing how to defend.

I didn't rate him highly, sorry....as I don't Matty Cash.

but I rate cash highler than Lowton.

both Lightweights to a degree.

• Like 1

Think some of the comments are  a tad harsh, and I'm someone who is often frustrated by him.

I think he clearly has a great attitude, is adaptable and has a lot of elements that you want from a modern full back but he's just let down ultimately by out and out quality in both attacking and defensive senses (though contrary to what some seem to think I think he's usually better at the latter). He gets up and down the line great and takes up some excellent positions, but lacks so much composure in the final third that he makes things happen much less than he ought to. Similarly I think he gets through an awful lot of work defensively, and is far from a liability in that sense, but some of the critiques over the last couple of pages do apply to him and kind of highlight the reality that he's only recently moved to the position and still isn't all the way there yet at this level.

Much like how folk have said if you could blend Ings and Watkins' skillsets together you'd have exactly the kind of striker that would make a huge difference to us, you could probably say the same of Young and Cash. He's a useful, likable player though even if he is getting deservedly kept out of the starting XI of late. 

• Like 3

35 minutes ago, TRO said:

did he....is that why we let him go?

Yeah, the summer before we got relegated. The club was such a great judge of quality at that time. Then we switched divisions and he played in the PL while we were slumming it in the second tier.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Think some of the comments are  a tad harsh, and I'm someone who is often frustrated by him.

I think he clearly has a great attitude, is adaptable and has a lot of elements that you want from a modern full back but he's just let down ultimately by out and out quality in both attacking and defensive senses (though contrary to what some seem to think I think he's usually better at the latter). He gets up and down the line great and takes up some excellent positions, but lacks so much composure in the final third that he makes things happen much less than he ought to. Similarly I think he gets through an awful lot of work defensively, and is far from a liability in that sense, but some of the critiques over the last couple of pages do apply to him and kind of highlight the reality that he's only recently moved to the position and still isn't all the way there yet at this level.

Much like how folk have said if you could blend Ings and Watkins' skillsets together you'd have exactly the kind of striker that would make a huge difference to us, you could probably say the same of Young and Cash. He's a useful, likable player though even if he is getting deservedly kept out of the starting XI of late. 

Funny what type of right back people think we should have playing for us vs reality. How many decent right backs have we every had in 'modern times'.... Mark Delaney, Gary Charles...?

Matt Lowton was ok, but I don't remember him being rated that highly when he was here.

my biggest concern and i think the reason behind his drop in form is his relationship with Bailey. Cash likes to get forward and likes to overlap the winger, for me he did this best with Traore. With Bailey its almost like their is no point, Bailey rarely releases the ball for Cash in a position that he can do well.

When you take out the attacking part of his game, he is quite an average full back.

• Like 1

So, let me understand. Cash has had a drop in form (like the the rest of the entire squad). He goes away to World Cup so Emery (like with Martinez) has worked with the rest of the squad with eye to the Liverpool and Spurs games so Cash doesn't start those (because he was at WC and not with the rest of the team learning the Emery drills). He starts at Wolves and is injured for Leeds.

So we have decided he is to be written off. Completely ignore the fact he played 90mins in both United and Brighton wins before world cup. It's just ridiculous nonsense and just wild jumping to conclusions. 

• Like 2

43 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

So, let me understand. Cash has had a drop in form (like the the rest of the entire squad). He goes away to World Cup so Emery (like with Martinez) has worked with the rest of the squad with eye to the Liverpool and Spurs games so Cash doesn't start those (because he was at WC and not with the rest of the team learning the Emery drills). He starts at Wolves and is injured for Leeds.

So we have decided he is to be written off. Completely ignore the fact he played 90mins in both United and Brighton wins before world cup. It's just ridiculous nonsense and just wild jumping to conclusions. 

peak Villa Talk...

1 hour ago, VillanousOne said:

Funny what type of right back people think we should have playing for us vs reality. How many decent right backs have we every had in 'modern times'.... Mark Delaney, Gary Charles...?

Matt Lowton was ok, but I don't remember him being rated that highly when he was here.

Alan Wright was a beast and I always liked Luke Young. We had Kyle Walker for a season too.

Hardly have a million RB's to choose from and our in-form one is 37 so I think all of Cash being set off now is a non-starter.

His value isn't aggressively depreciating and with some coaching, hopefully he can rediscover some of his attacking play though it seems like Emery likes to use the RB as the more conservative option right now. Then we can decide in the summer if we can get some incomings at fullback too.

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

My opinion hasn't changed. No idea if he is off or not (anyone actually said he is?), but I've thought he's a limited player for a long time.

Â