Matty Cash

paul514

I was told the club planned to sell him last summer but Gerrard out a stop to it. We were apparently massively in for Mazraoui before Bayern’s interest… Think the club would’ve happily sold him to Atletico. We need to improve selling players at the right time. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

26 minutes ago, Bazmonkey said:

We brought him after one year after playing Right Back.

Like many of the players we have recently brought....they are learning on the job and in the Prem.

His defensive frailties IMO mean we should be looking for better...his main problem is his positioning.....he allows wingers to much time and space.....I would love to play as a winger against him...get a 20 yard head start and a free touch before he even starts to close me down.

Spot On.

He allows too many crosses to come in to our box, and fails to cut out danger....too easily negated.

Full backs for me, have to have defensive intelligence, else we are exposing the centre backs.

• Like 2

1 minute ago, TRO said:

Spot On.

He allows too many crosses to come in to our box, and fails to cut out danger....too easily negated.

Full backs for me, have to have defensive intelligence, else we are exposing the centre backs.

He’s stopped plenty of crosses.

problem being with his hand resulting in a penalty or Free kick. 😂 

27 minutes ago, thabucks said:

I was told the club planned to sell him last summer but Gerrard out a stop to it. We were apparently massively in for Mazraoui before Bayern’s interest… Think the club would’ve happily sold him to Atletico. We need to improve selling players at the right time. 

You were told were you? The player the club signed to a new 5 year contract on higher wages mere months before. Yes, I believe your information to be spot on.

This forum is getting worse by the day

2 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spot On.

Agree...because he allows the the attacker a free reign to run at him and get the cross in its the start of the domino effect....he then starts to back off and drop and the rest of the defence do the same...before we know it we are in our own box under pressure.

• Like 1

Club probably didn't want to offer him a new deal but Gerrard was adamant so that's where giving a limited manager like him so much control over transfers is a bit of a problem.

I can remember the Atletico link and considering Trippier did well for them for two seasons could understand why Simeone could see potential in Cash.

He's getting plenty of criticism currently but I do think some of it is unjust.

20/21- comes in and slots into one of the best performing defences in that season. We kept clean sheets in nearly half our prem games.

21/22- In a very average season for individuals generally rated as one of our better ones on here.

22/23- Not so good so far but still started in two of our best wins of the season v Man. United and Brighton. Also enhanced his value by having a good world cup.

Considering he wasn't some wonderkid in the championship like Sessegnon and Djed Spence were I think overall he's done well for us.

Pretty clear he isn't what UE is looking for in a full back but I can't believe with him being mid 20s and what he's produced in last three years we're going to have issues moving him on for 25-30m. Leicester would have him I reckon, Palace aswell. 

• Like 1

On 15/01/2023 at 11:40, bobzy said:

Cash in front of Young worked very well when he came on against Spurs. That sort of versatility is useful in a squad. 

Yes in just seeing out a game when we're 2-0 up with 15 minutes less. I assume you didn't see the Wolves game three days later as Cash was useless in that position from start of the game and I think that was a trial by UE.

We'll sign another RB in the summer. Only issue is who knows if Young will stay on given his age.

6 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Club probably didn't want to offer him a new deal but Gerrard was adamant so that's where giving a limited manager like him so much control over transfers is a bit of a problem.

I can remember the Atletico link and considering Trippier did well for them for two seasons could understand why Simeone could see potential in Cash.

He's getting plenty of criticism currently but I do think some of it is unjust.

20/21- comes in and slots into one of the best performing defences in that season. We kept clean sheets in nearly half our prem games.

21/22- In a very average season for individuals generally rated as one of our better ones on here.

22/23- Not so good so far but still started in two of our best wins of the season v Man. United and Brighton. Also enhanced his value by having a good world cup.

Considering he wasn't some wonderkid in the championship like Sessegnon and Djed Spence were I think overall he's done well for us.

Pretty clear he isn't what UE is looking for in a full back but I can't believe with him being mid 20s and what he's produced in last three years we're going to have issues moving him on for 25-30m. Leicester would have him I reckon, Palace aswell. 

Ridiculous statements like this, posted as if it's inarguable fact. 

What a joke of a post

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

53 minutes ago, thabucks said:

If the money offered was even close to what was reported he should have been sold regardless of what Gerrard wanted. He's bang average

He declined with the arrival of Gerrard. He used to drive forward, now he hardly gets past the half way line. When the left back has the ball, I hardly see him going higher to open up space.

He needs a good run under Emery and I am sure he will be back to his best. Whether his best is enough in 12 months time is another thing to consider. 

42 minutes ago, TRO said:

Spot On.

Lowton was an intelligent fullback. Not blessed with electric pace or anything, but he knew how to defend.

Some people are obsessed with writing players off. 

Cash is a good player who attracted the attention of a team who are far better than us. He can't be that bad.

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, Xela said:

Some people are obsessed with writing players off. 

Cash is a good player who attracted the attention of a team who are far better than us. He can't be that bad.

Won’t be the first nor last flop. Just because a players gets attention doesn’t mean we have to think they’re right. I’m not saying Cash is bad but if we had an offer for more than 30m then selling him is the right decision. 

1 minute ago, abdulaziz1 said:

Won’t be the first nor last flop. Just because a players gets attention doesn’t mean we have to think they’re right. I’m not saying Cash is bad but if we had an offer for more than 30m then selling him is the right decision. 

Cash isn't a flop. Far from it.

I'll trust Unai though, he's far more qualified! 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, Xela said:

Cash isn't a flop. Far from it.

I'll trust Unai though, he's far more qualified! 

Not for us, I meant for Atletico who are superior to us. I was just referring that him attracting them doesn’t mean he’ll success, and if he flopped he won’t be the first nor the last. 

54 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Lowton was an intelligent fullback. Not blessed with electric pace or anything, but he knew how to defend.

Surely revisionist history! Lowton had much better technique and had that deep cross that Benteke could get on the end of plus THAT goal. 

But he was constantly getting skinned by anyone with a modicum of pace since he ran like his feet were settled in concrete. 

• Haha 1

Just now, DJBOB said:

Surely revisionist history! Lowton had much better technique and had that deep cross that Benteke could get on the end of plus THAT goal. 

But he was constantly getting skinned by anyone with a modicum of pace since he ran like his feet were settled in concrete. 

Maybe my memory isn't what it was then :D

1 hour ago, CVByrne said:

You were told were you? The player the club signed to a new 5 year contract on higher wages mere months before. Yes, I believe your information to be spot on.

This forum is getting worse by the day

Atletico were very keen and I got this info from someone who works for Wasserman’s … take it or ignore it … 

Â