Matty Cash

paul514

4 hours ago, Tom13 said:

Lowton was an intelligent fullback. Not blessed with electric pace or anything, but he knew how to defend.

Villa v Sunderland, Lowton gave the best performance I have seen from a villa fullback, probably down to a poor Sunderland team but he was unstoppable.

His time at villa was overshadowed by the club been in turmoil, same as few other players that found their form once they had left us. 

Cash is under the world cup cloud, think a few premier League players are , Man City , Chelsea and Liverpool have all suffered. 

• Like 3

I like Cash but I don't think he is the type of right back Emery wants. Saw a video when Emery joined explaining his tactics at Villareal where the left back was given freedom to attack but the right back stayed back so they always had three defenders plus the holding midfielders to stop a counter attack. In a recent game I saw Cash bomb forwards only to remember his instructions and rush back.

2 hours ago, I Make Pies said:

I like Cash but I don't think he is the type of right back Emery wants. Saw a video when Emery joined explaining his tactics at Villareal where the left back was given freedom to attack but the right back stayed back so they always had three defenders plus the holding midfielders to stop a counter attack. In a recent game I saw Cash bomb forwards only to remember his instructions and rush back.

Juan Foyth would be perfect for that. Wonder if we'll try to tempt him back to the premier league in the summer.

• 2 weeks later...
3 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

Damning on him that young, at 37, is 10x the player 

I don't think it's damning on him because Young is exceptional, but he's a long way off the standard we need to improve the team. Would be one of my first sales in the summer along with Digne. I think the back line in front of the keeper needs rebuilding tbh. 

1 minute ago, avfc1982am said:

I don't think it's damning on him because Young is exceptional, but he's a long way off the standard we need to improve the team. Would be one of my first sales in the summer along with Digne. I think the back line in front of the keeper needs rebuilding tbh. 

I think three of the starting four at the back will be gone or back up options come the summer, full backs are more of a priority. 

• Like 1

Just now, The_Steve said:

I think three of the starting four at the back will be gone or back up options come the summer, full backs are more of a priority. 

I think so too. Konsa and Mings need to be broken up now. 3 years they've had together and aren't improving enough. Today was as bad as ever how easy they were to get in behind and both far to oblivious of danger. 

16 hours ago, rbcuk said:

The amount of times Bailey had the ball looking for cash to overlap down the side, didn’t do it once, hopefully we replace him in the summer and get a decent transfer fee for him

That wasn’t really his job , looking at Matty and Ashley Young’s heat map in the match and previous matches they are positioned primarily near the half way line, whilst Moreno  is predominantly in the final third.

20 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Cash has gone backwards hapoy to cash in on him

Backwards is a good word. He played well most of last season. He's capable. The question is, why has he gone backwards?

Frankly, I don't know. Unlike Targett, whose regression could be written off as an average player who couldn't keep up a higher level when he didn't have Grealish in front of him, we have no facile explanation for Cash. I'd give him another season. We don't know whether last year or this year is the anomaly. Sometimes good players have bad years, sometimes bad players have good years

As a practical matter, Ashley Young isn't going to play forever, and even if we bring in a new right back to replace him when he finally retires, Cash is, at the very least, capable cover for Young and his eventual replacement. Do you wish we still had Elmo or Guilbert as a backup RB? Do you really want Konsa covering at RB?

Selling him would be foolish.

21 hours ago, Demitri_C said:

Cash has gone backwards hapoy to cash in on him

24 minutes ago, TomC said:

Backwards is a good word. He played well most of last season. He's capable. The question is, why has he gone backwards?

i dont think he has gone backwards tbh, i just think that as the players have been asked to play a more technical/intelligent style, he is becoming exposed.

I think his early good performances with us were as a basic up and down full back, last ditch defending at speed, throwing himself about, sliding tackles, low tactical nuance type stuff, he was very Roy of the Rovers and decent at it.

Over time, and more so under Emery, the players are being asked to be tactically aware, positionally aware, be technical, intelligent and composed, and all these things are exposing his weaknesses.

He just isnt that type of full back, and it shows.

Edited by MaVilla
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Â