Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

6 hours ago, Rolta said:

I'm from Tiverton, and I also have a big soft spot for Ollie for his being from Devon as much as anything. Exeter City were the real local team for me, so it only compounds things further. I also think he's been a great signing and I rate him anyway.

I’m living in South Devon. Lad I work with played 5 a side against him some years back. Literally ridiculously good  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I don’t think he is either. We are the right level for him which is why he ain’t going anywhere. 

But a lot around here would have told you he isn’t even good enough for us a few weeks ago. 

I’m afraid that’s the reality of the matter - he wasn’t good enough. You might prefer to say he was off form, going through a difficult spell - you can spin it whichever way you choose, but he wasn’t good enough and I think many of us felt the same. 
Since Unai came in - thankfully Ollie is improving, he is looking more calm and assured in himself and confidence is restored and I would wager he feels he is going to score in every game at the moment and this is fantastic for us - however for me a cautionary note, we have to judge him over a longer period to see if the improvement is sustained or Ollie is in a rich vein of form. I’m hoping it’s the former.

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, ChesterDad said:

I’m afraid that’s the reality of the matter - he wasn’t good enough. You might prefer to say he was off form, going through a difficult spell - you can spin it whichever way you choose, but he wasn’t good enough and I think many of us felt the same. 
Since Unai came in - thankfully Ollie is improving, he is looking more calm and assured in himself and confidence is restored and I would wager he feels he is going to score in every game at the moment and this is fantastic for us - however for me a cautionary note, we have to judge him over a longer period to see if the improvement is sustained or Ollie is in a rich vein of form. I’m hoping it’s the former.

If Ollie wasn’t good enough then nobody in the team were good enough and all needed replacing. 

• Like 2

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

If Ollie wasn’t good enough then nobody in the team were good enough and all needed replacing. 

If that’s your view then fine. I don’t recall many calling for the whole team to be replaced - but I’m pretty sure there were many who wanted Ollie out not so long ago.

I was one of them and now I’m hoping his transition is permanent, but I’ll wait a little longer before making a judgement call 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, ChesterDad said:

If that’s your view then fine. I don’t recall many calling for the whole team to be replaced - but I’m pretty sure there were many who wanted Ollie out not so long ago.

I was one of them and now I’m hoping his transition is permanent, but I’ll wait a little longer before making a judgement call 

That’s the point. People single out certain players when the whole team isn’t performing or if they don’t win.  Ollie was one of them. Mings and Mcginn had it bad too.

If and when the team go through another poor run of form Ollie will be singled out again I’m sure. 

49 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

That’s the point. People single out certain players when the whole team isn’t performing or if they don’t win.  Ollie was one of them. Mings and Mcginn had it bad too.

If and when the team go through another poor run of form Ollie will be singled out again I’m sure. 

But the criticism aimed at Ollie was totally valid - let’s have it right, he was quite dreadful at times and could have had very little reason to have complained if he had been benched.

But let’s hope this is behind him now and Unai’s coaching continues to mould him into a complete striker - the core elements are there without question 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Unlucky for Ollie. As for Toney, the whole situation around him baffles me, he's already admitted to betting charges and will likely face a ban at some point, but Southgate still calls him up. Joke that. 

Still, less chance of Ollie getting injured and I don't care much for England these days. 

Edited by MachoFantastico

3 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Toney and Kane are tough to get past. He's unlucky

Not really, he could have taken all three and left out any of: Phillips, Dire, Maguire or Gallagher, none of whom deserved a call up.

Yes they play different positions but it’s never stopped the tool picking too many right backs before. I feel for Ollie because he deserved to be in that squad.

• Like 1

Â