Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

4 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

I actually think the most confusing thing is that both Watkins and Ings would be looking at the World Cup.

As strange as this might sound, it sorta seems easier for either of them to get in that squad as a ST as opposed to a winger. Not even HWMNBN could get a look in on a wing in the Euros.

Will be interesting to see - but to me that says they have to play centrally in a weird kind of rotating ST and second ST arrangement. If Ollie or Ings want to play for England it won’t be off the left or right IMO. 

I think this is where we need to be brutal and put the success of the club over the ambitions of the players. They should play where Dean thinks they'll win us the most points, not in as position that might get them a jolly of to Qatar to be an understudy and watch Harry Kane impersonate a defensive midfielder. 

DCL went as our second striker, Kane stunk the place out for a few games, and DCL got 17 minutes in total, brought on when we were 4-0 up and the game was dead. If either of them think they're going to be starring at the World Cup, they've got another thing coming.

• Like 2

22 minutes ago, Rightdm00 said:

Second striker then. I agree though Ings absolutely was the striker dropping deeper. Same space Barkley was operating in last season when he played.  

He only looked like a second striker because we had all the ball. Had we been playing a better team I bet he would have dropped to make a 3 in the middle.

2 minutes ago, Jono62 said:

According to FPL, he has a muscle injury and has a 75% chance of playing. 

Ffs , he did look immediately uncomfortable, if 75% is the case then no chance for Saturday 

1 hour ago, Zhan_Zhuang said:

Villa should rest Watkins then, it's a long season...

El Ghazi      Ings       Traore

Against Watford?

As disappointing as it is to not see Watkins or Bailey in that,  isn't it great that that lineup is still pretty good. And should definitely be good enough against a newly promoted side.

Buendia potentially missing too, assuming he could play in a front 3 like that.

if he is out then behind that we are kind of struggling, McGinn, Nakamba, Ramsey picks itself. 

No Sanson or Luiz. No sub options other than Conor.

1 minute ago, Woody1000 said:

The disrespect in some of the other threads on here after what he did for us last season is astonishing.

Given your reaction to my post on him in the transfer thread, I can assume this is aimed at me. To clarify, I absolutely love Ollie and I'm actually kind of torn on us signing Ings. Because for one Ings is currently the better striker, I don't think it's controversial at all to say that. Ings is phenomenal, and the fact that we got him to come to us still blows my mind. But on the other hand, this means it'll probably hinder Ollie's development as a striker, because if we only play with 1 striker this season, Ings would get the nod if he's fit. Which is a shame, I was really backing Ollie to hit 20 goals this season.

8 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

Given your reaction to my post on him in the transfer thread, I can assume this is aimed at me. To clarify, I absolutely love Ollie and I'm actually kind of torn on us signing Ings. Because for one Ings is currently the better striker, I don't think it's controversial at all to say that. Ings is phenomenal, and the fact that we got him to come to us still blows my mind. But on the other hand, this means it'll probably hinder Ollie's development as a striker, because if we only play with 1 striker this season, Ings would get the nod if he's fit. Which is a shame, I was really backing Ollie to hit 20 goals this season.

Tbf mate it wasn’t aimed at you specifically, but yours was one of the opinions that prompted my post. It’s all opinions of course, but I don’t agree and I think there are some short memories amongst our support.

Phenomenal? Not for me I’m afraid, and that’s not meant as a knock on Danny Ings. Your post above makes it sound like we’ve signed Harry Kane.

I just don’t understand how Ings is so superior to Watkins in your mind, I say lets see how they start the season off before we judge them?

2 minutes ago, Woody1000 said:

Tbf mate it wasn’t aimed at you specifically, but yours was one of the opinions that prompted my post. It’s all opinions of course, but I don’t agree and I think there are some short memories amongst our support.

Phenomenal? Not for me I’m afraid, and that’s not meant as a knock on Danny Ings. Your post above makes it sound like we’ve signed Harry Kane.

I just don’t understand how Ings is so superior to Watkins in your mind, I say lets see how they start the season off before we judge them?

You wouldn't say Ings is phenomenal? I mean I'd say he's just a notch below Harry Kane, and I'd say Ollie is just a notch below that. If Ollie Watkins ever gets to within 1 goal of winning the golden boot, or scores 44 in 67 in the PL I guess we can put him on Ings' level.

As it stands, he had one excellent debut season in the PL and I hope he kicks on again. Which is why the arrival of Ings doesn't quite sit right with me. But as others said, if you want to progress, you buy players who are better than your starters which is I guess what we've done here. Again I would have been absolutely delighted if we went into the season with Ollie as our main striker. He's still one of the best in the league.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

As disappointing as it is to not see Watkins or Bailey in that,  isn't it great that that lineup is still pretty good. And should definitely be good enough against a newly promoted side.

Buendia potentially missing too, assuming he could play in a front 3 like that.

if he is out then behind that we are kind of struggling, McGinn, Nakamba, Ramsey picks itself. 

No Sanson or Luiz. No sub options other than Conor.

This is giving me flashbacks to the period when Jack is out. This isn't good, especially if our midfield is no better.

3 minutes ago, Keyblade said:

You wouldn't say Ings is phenomenal? I mean I'd say he's just a notch below Harry Kane, and I'd say Ollie is just a notch below that. If Ollie Watkins ever gets to within 1 goal of winning the golden boot, or scores 44 in 67 in the PL I guess we can put him on Ings' level.

As it stands, he had one excellent debut season in the PL and I hope he kicks on again. Which is why the arrival of Ings doesn't quite sit right with me. But as others said, if you want to progress, you buy players who are better than your starters which is I guess what we've done here. Again I would have been absolutely delighted if we went into the season with Ollie as our main striker. He's still one of the best in the league.

If I’m really honest, I don’t see Ollie posting those sort of numbers but there is so much more to his game than just the goals.

We will have to wait and see how DS uses them, are they going to be a partnership? Will Ollie be moved out wide? Will Ings play in behind?

I guess what I’m trying to say is that it’s not a clear upgrade for me, not just yet anyway.

I don't see how it's disrespectful to Watkins to say that Ings is phenomenal and the better player of the two. I think Ings' output speaks for itself. I also hope we play with both of them as much as possible because I can see a great partnership developing and Ollie is a fantastic player truly.

9 hours ago, KangarooVillan said:

I actually think the most confusing thing is that both Watkins and Ings would be looking at the World Cup.

As strange as this might sound, it sorta seems easier for either of them to get in that squad as a ST as opposed to a winger. Not even HWMNBN could get a look in on a wing in the Euros.

Will be interesting to see - but to me that says they have to play centrally in a weird kind of rotating ST and second ST arrangement. If Ollie or Ings want to play for England it won’t be off the left or right IMO. 

That's good if they can both make it.

That will mean we could sell both of them for £100 million plus the following summer to a champions league club and reinvest.

I am not bitter.

• Haha 1

Just looked at Watkins heat map from last season. It's ridiculously weighted left side of opposition half.

Then I did game week range that Grealish was out and it's even more pronounced left side

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 1

16 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Just looked at Watkins heat map from last season. It's ridiculously weighted left side of opposition half.

Then I did game week range that Grealish was out and it's even more pronounced left side

Interesting!

Â