Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

10 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Not Watkins, because I'm confident Smith knows the difference between a centre forward and an inside forward. Unless he was being cute of course, or outright lying. 

So who’s in the 3 up front?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Any 3 from Ings, Watkins, Bailey, Buendia, El Ghazi, Traore, JPB, at a guess at time of recording? 

So,

Watkins Ings Bailey?

considering none of the others are strikers.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ok. I mean I have the same information as you. 1,2 or 3 up front are all now options & Watkins will be used as a central-striker. 

So there was no point in repeating the Smith quote to me then?

Part of what makes Watkins' role next season tricky to work out is that he's probably in the best shape of anyone in the squad and basically never gets injured. You can imagine that Ings will be in and out given injuries and I'm sure Buendia/Bailey will have their knocks etc. so you'd rotate them around to an extent. But Ollie basically never misses a game if last season is to go by so to shift him/bench him you'd be actively moving him from his best role up front to accommodate someone else. FWIW for that reason, plus Smith's strong relationship with him, I think he plays comfortably over 30 games next season as the main striker with some combination of Ings, Bailey, Buendia, Traore, El Ghazi, JPB and maybe Young in the 3 AM positions behind

As anove this 4 up top will cause chaos . Watching Bailey his passing is a huge asset .he is as clever a passer from what i have seen as Greedish was, albeit at twice the pace. Him and Buendia are very quick and sharp passers. They will cause chaos 

8 minutes ago, NurembergVillan said:

Ings, Watkins, Bailey.

However they line up when the ref blows his first whistle, they will all be interchanging across the front line throughout the game.

When Smith had Benrahma, Maupay and Watkins at Brentford, that was the approach.

Jack was a phenomenal talent but couldn't ever have played centrally other than CM or CAM.  This three will be a nightmare to mark, and I'd expect to see Buendia playing in the proper "10" role just behind them and arriving late into the box.

If it works, and on paper it should, a few teams will get an absolute pasting this season.

I agree with you.

I said soon as Ings signed for us that Ings is smart enough and good enough to take over Jack's role on the left. Ings makes similar plays along the edge of the box as well and he certainly makes intelligent runs on the left. Ings will score playing on the LW.

Bailey will be ace on the right, he and Traore with boss that RW with the speed they have and sure Bailey will be a starter but Traore will be an excellent sub for the RW.

Watkins should stay CF, he's done so well there why take him away from it.

Between those 3 in those positions, it's a heck of alot of pressure that teams will have to be on the top of there game all game. So then I take in Bunedia would be in the CAM role behind Watkins, it's an exciting front line for sure and looking forward to see it in action at full strength.

41 minutes ago, JPJCB said:

Part of what makes Watkins' role next season tricky to work out is that he's probably in the best shape of anyone in the squad and basically never gets injured.

Ironic that he currently has a knock then.  Should be back for Watford though but you never know.  

I always find it funny when people talk about lack of injury of the past assuming that continues in the future.  Injury free history doesn’t guarantee anything for the future especially for elite sports people.

2 minutes ago, nick76 said:

Ironic that he currently has a knock then.  Should be back for Watford though but you never know.  

I always find it funny when people talk about lack of injury of the past assuming that continues in the future.  Injury free history doesn’t guarantee anything for the future especially for elite sports people.

People still seem to think he's invincible Nick, where does this daftness come from mate?

Just now, Dave-R said:

People still seem to think he's invincible Nick, where does this daftness come from mate?

I honestly don’t know.  

I know one of our favourite posters said genetics but genetics doesn’t stop a bad tackle from an opponent.  

We also know kids and in early twenties that lads are invincible but after wear and tear as you go through your twenties injuries catch up with you and they start occurring to the point in the thirties when you’ve had a few.

An injury free past is no guarantee of injury free future.  A bad tackle, a funny landing on your foot, over stretching for the ball, tiredness wear and tear or even something non football related can have you on the sidelines for a duration.

This also doesn’t take into account poor form.  We all know about second season impacts and sometimes players/teams struggle second season until they can step back up again.  That’s a separate issue but injury history is no guarantee of injury future.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NurembergVillan said:

Ings, Watkins, Bailey.

However they line up when the ref blows his first whistle, they will all be interchanging across the front line throughout the game.

When Smith had Benrahma, Maupay and Watkins at Brentford, that was the approach.

Jack was a phenomenal talent but couldn't ever have played centrally other than CM or CAM.  This three will be a nightmare to mark, and I'd expect to see Buendia playing in the proper "10" role just behind them and arriving late into the box.

If it works, and on paper it should, a few teams will get an absolute pasting this season.

I love it when you talk dirty

• Haha 1

10 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Ok. I mean I have the same information as you. 1,2 or 3 up front are all now options & Watkins will be used as a central-striker. 

Or the left striker in a 2 with Bailey being the other one.

Â