Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

2 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Getting a rating of 7.2 as a striker in the Prem is better than a rating of 7.22 as a LW in the Champ.

I also don't think his style of play is suited for there either. He is a perfect striker, shoe horning him to play on the left doesn't feel like the right move. 

Doesn't help that I'm comparing his style of play with our last no10

I think he'll have to be rotated with Ings as the main striker. 

Absolutely no chance, Ings didn't come here to be rotated.

Ollie always run his socks off and gives 110%.At times made me tired just watching him last season.

Ings is a good veteran and I think they can play well off each other.Ollie is not a pouter from what I've seen and will do what best to help us succeed.

I see no reason he can't easily get into double digits scoring again regardless of whatever positions/roles he may play.

Edited by Big Salad

11 minutes ago, Lord Willard said:

Getting a rating of 7.2 as a striker in the Prem is better than a rating of 7.22 as a LW in the Champ.

I also don't think his style of play is suited for there either. He is a perfect striker, shoe horning him to play on the left doesn't feel like the right move. 

Doesn't help that I'm comparing his style of play with our last no10

I think he'll have to be rotated with Ings as the main striker. 

What ever the formation is for another discussion but there is no way Ings has come in to be rotated.  At 29 he wants to be playing most games and I think both him and Ollie will play most games in some formation.  I think it'll be the Liverpool style front three with Bailey and not the Villa style of a striker with two wingers.  Ings could've had better options than come to Villa and many are surprised he came here, he's not doing that to be rotated at 29 years old.

Edited by nick76
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, nick76 said:

What ever the formation is for another discussion but there is no way Ings has come in to be rotated.  At 29 he wants to be playing most games and I think both him and Ollie will play most games in some formation.  I think it'll be the Liverpool style front three with Bailey and not the Villa style of a striker with two wingers.  Ings could've had better options than come to Villa and many are surprised he came here, he's not doing that to be rotated at 29 years old.

Ings and Ollie have ther eye on Qatar neither want to be rotated.

• Like 2

Ollie had a brilliant first season for US. Good enough to get him an England call up and good enough to get a lot of pundits saying that Villa had made the signing of the season. We've even had posters worrying that Klopp might be trying to sign him,

Suddenly I read posts expressing doubt about whether he should be a first team starter. I guess that's just the way with forums, we eulogise players and then move on to the next "flavour of the month".

Ings is a good player and he's been bought to add to the teams' goals and assists, but not at the expense of our most impressively dangerous attacking athlete.

Watkins will still be one of the first names on the team sheet. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

playing on the left of a three will not preclude Watkins from scoring goals. in fact from the little bits we saw in the salernitana game, Ings and Watkins excellent link up play would possibly see them both having similar amount of chances

Just now, TheMelvillan said:

playing on the left of a three will not preclude Watkins from scoring goals. in fact from the little bits we saw in the salernitana game, Ings and Watkins excellent link up play would possibly see them both having similar amount of chances

They will interchange too during the game same as Bailey.

I actually think the most confusing thing is that both Watkins and Ings would be looking at the World Cup.

As strange as this might sound, it sorta seems easier for either of them to get in that squad as a ST as opposed to a winger. Not even HWMNBN could get a look in on a wing in the Euros.

Will be interesting to see - but to me that says they have to play centrally in a weird kind of rotating ST and second ST arrangement. If Ollie or Ings want to play for England it won’t be off the left or right IMO. 

42 minutes ago, TheMelvillan said:

Playing on the left of a three when the central player drops deep means you're the furthest forward. Same when he is up top on his own. 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Ings in not a No 10 never ever is he going to play there?

You need to stop viewing the shirt numbers though roles that number were primarily associated with formations from over a decade ago.

Look at where Ings touch map is to see where he receives possession and where he plays his passes. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 09/08/2021 at 12:51, villabromsgrove said:

Ollie will be a key player this season where ever he plays. I'm optimistic going forward as it's time for some good players to step out of Jack's shadow, and form a quality team unit with our exciting new signings. Onwards and upwards should be our new team motto.

We don't know the true feelings of the players.......maybe they will.

5 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

You need to stop viewing the shirt numbers though roles that number were primarily associated with formations from over a decade ago.

Look at where Ings touch map is to see where he receives possession and where he plays his passes. 

A No 10 is a role from a decade ago, sure about that? 

If anyone is seriously questioning wether Watkins starts need their head testing. This kid is quality, he has his faults yes, his first touch isn’t always great and he sometimes gives the ball away cheaply but other than that he’s been brilliant for us. If he was better at both things I mentioned he wouldn’t be playing for us though, he would already be a City player. Genuinely think he’s the best all round striker we’ve had at Villa since Yorke imo. 

Edited by WHY

4 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

He played there on Sunday! 

Second striker then. I agree though Ings absolutely was the striker dropping deeper. Same space Barkley was operating in last season when he played.  

• Like 1

Â