Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 hour ago, Kiwivillan said:

Just looked at Watkins heat map from last season. It's ridiculously weighted left side of opposition half.

Then I did game week range that Grealish was out and it's even more pronounced left side

100%. He was always drifting into the left channel. Very rarely on the right.

• Like 3

The benefit of him drifting out left was that he'd be dragging a CB out there with him and they couldn't cope. If you start him out wide, he'll instead be up against fullbacks who typically have more pace and are more streetwise to pacy wide players.

• Like 1

I think it's a big mental challenge for Ollie this season, reacting to not being the nailed on best striker at the club. Smith knows him though, and I'm pretty confident that as a good, young player, with one season in the top flight under his belt, playing with and training with an experienced player like Ings is only going to make him a better forward.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Davkaus said:

I think it's a big mental challenge for Ollie this season, reacting to not being the nailed on best striker at the club. Smith knows him though, and I'm pretty confident that as a good, young player, with one season in the top flight under his belt, playing with and training with an experienced player like Ings is only going to make him a better forward.

I’d agree, I see Watkins as seeing the positives in Danny Ings arriving. It seems that many fans see only the negatives in almost everything. 

I’d say we’re already a stronger squad than last season. The introduction of a commanding central midfielder is probably the missing piece in the jigsaw. Anything else would be a bonus. 

• Like 2

6 hours ago, Keyblade said:

The benefit of him drifting out left was that he'd be dragging a CB out there with him and they couldn't cope. If you start him out wide, he'll instead be up against fullbacks who typically have more pace and are more streetwise to pacy wide players.

If he is utilised on the left I don't think it'll be as a winger though. Watrkins, Ings, Bailey could be used as a narrower front three, similar to Liverpool, where the wide players are playing mainly between the full back and centre back. We have full backs that are good crossers as well so this could suit the likes of Ollie down to the ground. However, for that to be a viable option, I think a new defensive midfielder would be required, unless Smith thinks this is the season Nakamba becomes a first 11 regular.

It's just nice to have options, rather than a flat 11. Competition and balance usually produces an improved team.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

He did also say we could now play 3 strikers, one of which would have to be left of centre. I assume Ollie would play that role, but wouldn’t have the defensive duties of someone playing as a winger.

Nah. If he meant for Ollie to play from the left in a 3 up front, he wouldn't have said, and I quote: "Watkins hasn't played wide for couple of years. I didn't bring him in to play there. He scored 26 goals for Brentford playing as a centre-forward in the Championship & came to us & got 16 goals also as a centre-forward - so no, I don't envisage him out there"

Just now, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Nah. If he meant for Ollie to play from the left in a 3 up front, he wouldn't have said, and I quote: "Watkins hasn't played wide for couple of years. I didn't bring him in to play there. He scored 26 goals for Brentford playing as a centre-forward in the Championship & came to us & got 16 goals also as a centre-forward - so no, I don't envisage him out there"

Wide and in 3 upfront are two different things.

When he says “now we can play 3 upfront”, who are the 3 and which position do they play? Considering he called Bailey a striker and we know he plays predominantly on the right.

2 hours ago, a m ole said:

Wide and in 3 upfront are two different things.

When he says “now we can play 3 upfront”, who are the 3 and which position do they play? Considering he called Bailey a striker and we know he plays predominantly on the right.

He specifically refers to him as a centre forward. Twice. 

2 hours ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

He says straight after we can play 3 up top so who else would be on the left of a 433 than Watkins?

13 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

He says straight after we can play 3 up top so who else would be on the left of a 433 than Watkins?

Not Watkins, because I'm confident Smith knows the difference between a centre forward and an inside forward. Unless he was being cute of course, or outright lying. 

Â