Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

On 08/08/2021 at 19:16, hippo said:

Wasn't exactly gushing in praise when Ings scored ! For a guy who smiles a lot that was one hell of a scowl !!!

From the outside looking in, this is a great chance for Ollie to learn a lot from a player like Ings. But, to be fair, in the space of a week Ollie's gone from "I can't wait for the hottest property in English football to get back, his through balls are going to help me get into the World Cup squad" to "my place in the Villa XI is under threat by another English striker". I trust Deano and co to get Ollie to see the good in this, but can't begrudge him if it takes him a while to warm up!

• Like 3

9 hours ago, zab6359 said:

Pre season has been a mess for everyone with Euros etc. we aren't unique in that.

We don't know the extent of Buendia's injury I'm pretty sure if it was a bad one the club would have released a statement - stop Catastrophizing 

No we don't know how long Bailey will take to settle, from a similar style of league so hopefully not to long 

Smith experimenting shock horror better to do it in pre season than once the seson has started

We don't need a direct Greedish replacement we have strengthened and improved our forward line and creative play considerably 

We may struggle until everyone gets upto speed and the team gels but i'm very optimistic about the season.

It’s important we stay off their backs, then we will attack and the league won’t like that

13 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Starting to lean towards you.

-Pre season been a mess.

- Buendia injured.

- We have no idea how long it will take for Bailey to settle and get going.

- Smith is experimenting with different formations just before a new season

- No direct Grealish replacement on the left

This really isn't good, and I have no idea why people are being criticized for sharing absolutely legit concerns.

I was wondering where the real villalad had gone the last few days with all the positivity I was seeing. 

Welcome back.

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

I actually find the aversion to him playing left sided forward a bit odd. We haven't seen nearly enough of him there to know whether he can do that to a high standard in the Premier League, but that doesn't mean that he can't. In fact, the only times we have seen him there, Keinan Davis has been playing through the middle. I like Keinan so I mean no disrespect, but he's not Danny Ings. 

Watkins is nothing like Jack Grealish, no. Perhaps he is a better centre forward than left sided forward, I don't have the evidence to hand either way. But, at least with Baliey and potentially Buendia not ready for Watford, I have absolutely no issue with Ollie playing off the left in a 4-3-3 and it'll be interesting to see how it goes. He's certianly not going to embarrass us and I would put a fair amount of cash on him being a better option than El Ghazi (who I also do not hate, for the record).

• Like 1

Watkins has 2 roles for me this season. The role he played last season with Ings replacing the role Barkley had. Bailey and Buendia or El Ghazi and Traore in the wide channels.

The other is a left inside forward with Bailey the right inside forward and Ings a kind of false 9 or Kane type of role where he drops deep to midfield. Watkins and Bailey are the fastest players in our team and that is a potent counter attacking threat. 

• Like 3

7 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

I actually find the aversion to him playing left sided forward a bit odd. We haven't seen nearly enough of him there to know whether he can do that to a high standard in the Premier League, but that doesn't mean that he can't. In fact, the only times we have seen him there, Keinan Davis has been playing through the middle. I like Keinan so I mean no disrespect, but he's not Danny Ings. 

Watkins is nothing like Jack Grealish, no. Perhaps he is a better centre forward than left sided forward, I don't have the evidence to hand either way. But, at least with Baliey and potentially Buendia not ready for Watford, I have absolutely no issue with Ollie playing off the left in a 4-3-3 and it'll be interesting to see how it goes. He's certianly not going to embarrass us and I would put a fair amount of cash on him being a better option than El Ghazi (who I also do not hate, for the record).

Didn’t he also spend a whole season playing their for Brentford? 

9 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

100% on all of this. Deano has also worked with Ollie for a fair amount of time, so I’d trust him to know how he can best use/not use him. 

13 minutes ago, LockStockVilla said:

100% on all of this. Deano has also worked with Ollie for a fair amount of time, so I’d trust him to know how he can best use/not use him. 

He had several chances to play him on the left last season, but didnt. I don't think he fancies him there and we'll bring in a new left sided forward.

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

He had several chances to play him on the left last season, but didnt. I don't think he fancies him there and we'll bring in a new left sided forward.

Was that because he didn’t fancy him there or didn’t fancy the centre forward that took his place?

• Like 1

On 09/08/2021 at 12:51, zab6359 said:

Pre season has been a mess for everyone with Euros etc. we aren't unique in that.

We don't know the extent of Buendia's injury I'm pretty sure if it was a bad one the club would have released a statement - stop Catastrophizing 

No we don't know how long Bailey will take to settle, from a similar style of league so hopefully not to long 

Smith experimenting shock horror better to do it in pre season than once the seson has started

We don't need a direct Greedish replacement we have strengthened and improved our forward line and creative play considerably 

We may struggle until everyone gets upto speed and the team gels but i'm very optimistic about the season.

We’ll have to be patient I think, Havertz and Werner took a some time to settle , both came good in the end despite Werner’s lack of goal he kept Tammy and Giroud on the bench 

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Was that because he didn’t fancy him there or didn’t fancy the centre forward that took his place?

Could be both tbf and it's a valid point. 

I just don't see Watkins skill set suiting a wide forward position. He's really good at playing off the shoulder of the last man, getting in behind and stretching defenses. He also has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. It's completely different to a wide man who is expected to dribble, pass and cross.

It could work and I could be pleasantly surprised, I just don't see it. 

• Like 2

32 minutes ago, Rich192 said:

According to WhoScored, Ollie’s ratings, goals and assists in each position in his career is this:

AML: Played 50, scored 14, assisted 6, rating 7.20

AMR: Played 18, scored 4, assisted 4, rating 7.18

FWD: Played 90, scored 40, assisted 8, rating 7.22

It should also be noted that his highest rated season was him primarily playing on the left in 2017/18.

I’ve been of the opinion that Ollie must start up front, and was against the idea of signing Tammy. Ings is a different proposition though, he’s one of the best finishers in the league, and for me must start up front. 

I would primarily play Ollie on the left, I think with Grealish gone we can, and should adapt how we play. I look at how Salah plays on the right for Liverpool, basically a second striker, and that’s how I’d like to see Ollie play on the left for us. 

With Ings’ injury record, and the need to manage his fitness levels, Ollie will still get plenty of minutes as a striker. For example we can afford to take Ings off after an hour, move Buendia on the right, Bailey to the left and either bring on Carney, Nakamba, or bring Traore in on the right and keep Emi central, depending on the situation in the game. 

Starting games, when everyone is available, I would have Ollie, Ings and Bailey, with Emi floating as a number 10 behind. 

I’m torn on what I’d do in the market, as we all want top players to join, but if we went in to the season with our current array of attackers, I wouldn’t be too disappointed. The caveat to playing the above formation is that we need more steel in midfield, and that’s what I’d go all out for in the remainder of the summer.

Tl:dr, Ollie’s great, must start, and will play equally as well in any of the front three positions. 

I can see this happening most games, Ings will need to be managed well to get the best out of him physically and Ollie is just a machine, he will happily move central when Ings goes off and play a full 90 minutes. 

It's going to be interesting to see how Buendia is played I know he is touted as a RW but I think he is brilliant centrally, but more as a hybrid 8/10 as he does like to come deep at times and carry the ball or play killer passes.

Just now, Delphinho123 said:

I just don't see Watkins skill set suiting a wide forward position. He's really good at playing off the shoulder of the last man, getting in behind and stretching defenses. He also has a knack of being in the right place at the right time. It's completely different to a wide man who is expected to dribble, pass and cross.

I see what you mean but I do think he is deceptively fast and skilful. He has a knack of dropping a shoulder and beating a man to get a cross in. Plus I always think centre forwards are the best crossers of the ball at times. They understand the type of ball they would like played. 

• Like 1

Getting a rating of 7.2 as a striker in the Prem is better than a rating of 7.22 as a LW in the Champ.

I also don't think his style of play is suited for there either. He is a perfect striker, shoe horning him to play on the left doesn't feel like the right move. 

Doesn't help that I'm comparing his style of play with our last no10

I think he'll have to be rotated with Ings as the main striker. 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

36 minutes ago, CVByrne said:

Watkins has 2 roles for me this season. The role he played last season with Ings replacing the role Barkley had. Bailey and Buendia or El Ghazi and Traore in the wide channels.

The other is a left inside forward with Bailey the right inside forward and Ings a kind of false 9 or Kane type of role where he drops deep to midfield. Watkins and Bailey are the fastest players in our team and that is a potent counter attacking threat. 

Ings in not a No 10 never ever is he going to play there?

7 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Winger yes. Inside forward though, not necessarily their main role chap?

• Like 1

Â