Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

17 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not a chance it’s a gimme. We finished 11th last season and have lost one of the best players in the world. Our form without him was relegation level stuff. 

We’ve not properly replaced him and addressed areas in the squad that need addressing. Ings is a fantastic player but is a position that didn’t need work (from a starting XI standpoint) and the other two creative players we’ve bought both like to play from the right.

Our left side and central midfield are far too weak for us to finish in the top 10 as things stand. 

I think that's largely where I am right now. Main difference would be that there are several unknowns going into the season. Buendia and Bailey could both really hit the ground running and cause lots of problems for opposition that certainly would help in the replacing Grealish bit. Ollie and Ings might dovetail very well. 

20 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Starting to lean towards you.

-Pre season been a mess.

- Buendia injured.

- We have no idea how long it will take for Bailey to settle and get going.

- Smith is experimenting with different formations just before a new season

- No direct Grealish replacement on the left

This really isn't good, and I have no idea why people are being criticized for sharing absolutely legit concerns.

Villalad agreeing with me. I've won, but at what cost. 😉

23 minutes ago, tinker said:

As things stand  I'm dreading the first game let alone the rest of the season.

With the players we have injured or resting after internationals we look weak. Add to that a lack of game time for our new players and we have a recipe  for a difficult  season. 

I think loads of teams are in the same boat though.  Cannot read too much into pre season I think that first game first goal is crucial it's all about confidence.

We have some experience now so hopefully that tells against Watford.

Need Ollie to be fit though obviously to run their defence ragged.

30 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Not a chance it’s a gimme. We finished 11th last season and have lost one of the best players in the world. Our form without him was relegation level stuff. 

We’ve not properly replaced him and addressed areas in the squad that need addressing. Ings is a fantastic player but is a position that didn’t need work (from a starting XI standpoint) and the other two creative players we’ve bought both like to play from the right.

Our left side and central midfield are far too weak for us to finish in the top 10 as things stand. 

Bang on.

Going to be a season of consolidation.

34 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

Jack leaving could be a blessing in disguise, everything went through him we were unhealthly a one man band, I can see us really kicking on now. I think we have more than replaced him and would be fine with no more signings, only one I'd maybe like is a marquee midfielder but not overly bothered tbh.

• Like 1

42 minutes ago, Delphinho123 said:

playing Watkins on the left. That, for me, would be a mistake. I have no doubt he can do a job out there but we should be looking to replace Grealish with a player accustomed to playing in that position. 

Watkins is accustomed to playing that position. He's played more games left forward in a 3 than any other position.... and under Dean Smith. Do you want Smith to fail so you can say I told you so like a negative curmudgeon?

Edited by Kiwivillan
  • Like 2

2 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

**** hell lads it's depressing in here.

Cheer the **** up.

It's a load of shit. Great signings made and the usual suspects not just on this forum are doom and gloom merchants. It's pathetic

• Like 4

3 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Watkins is accustomed to playing that position. He's played more games left forward in a 3 than any other position.... and under Dean Smith. Do you want Smith to fail so you can say I told you so like a negative curmudgeon?

That doesn't mean it's his best position does it? He's a very good centre forward. We had several chances to play him out on the left last season and Smith never opted for it. 

I won't rise to that 😉

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

It's a load of shit. Great signings made and the usual suspects not just on this forum are doom and gloom merchants. It's pathetic

Offering an alternative opinion isn't pathetic - that's what makes a good forum. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Delphinho123 said:

That doesn't mean it's his best position does it? He's a very good centre forward. We had several chances to play him out on the left last season and Smith never opted for it. 

I won't rise to that 😉

Manure have several attacking players in recent years that play where the manager puts them for the good of the team and they do alright 

2 minutes ago, Kiwivillan said:

Manure have several attacking players in recent years that play where the manager puts them for the good of the team and they do alright 

And if that's what we do, and it works, then great!

I'm just expressing an opinion that I don't think it's the right thing to do if we seriously want to kick on this season. I think we need a player who's better on the left and it makes me nervous that we haven't got one at present.

6 minutes ago, MaVilla said:

Any news on his injury??

None that I've heard... we don't talk about our injuries though so not expecting an update.

Guess we'll have to wait till the training pics pop up on Instagram and get our resident VT detectives on the case.

If he is injured then at least Dean doesn't have to shoehorn any players in outside of their favoured positions. Not that I'd be happy with him being injured. 

1 hour ago, zab6359 said:

Really I think top 10 is a gimme, we have recruited brilliantly but top 6 is too much.

Smith is unlikely to have his favoured starting 11 sorted until at least October.

The gap between 6th and 11th last season was just 10 points, so this level of certainty that we will definitely finish in one of only 4 places in the league table seems unwarranted.

Edited by HanoiVillan

2 hours ago, villalad21 said:

Starting to lean towards you.

-Pre season been a mess.

- Buendia injured.

- We have no idea how long it will take for Bailey to settle and get going.

- Smith is experimenting with different formations just before a new season

- No direct Grealish replacement on the left

This really isn't good, and I have no idea why people are being criticized for sharing absolutely legit concerns.

Exactly these are legit concerns when the season hasn't even started.

What about Watkins is there any news on his status yet??

If he's out and we have to rely on Ings, boy are we going to be in trouble if Ings gets injured also.

I'm not explaining in great detail for another 100 pages with others but these problems need to be addressed.

Ollie will be a key player this season where ever he plays. I'm optimistic going forward as it's time for some good players to step out of Jack's shadow, and form a quality team unit with our exciting new signings. Onwards and upwards should be our new team motto.

• Like 1

Â