Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

3 hours ago, VillanousOne said:

Smith on Ollie Watkins’ fitness: “We are not too sure about Ollie at the moment, if he’s pain-free today then he will train, if not then he won’t be involved tomorrow.”

translates to: He's out for 3 months but we'll tell you he's almost ready to return or back in training ten times before he actually does return

edit beaten to it 😁

Lol, came here to post something similar. 

You’ll know when he’s 6 weeks away from returning because he’ll be ‘back out on the grass’.

Sanson took a knock a while back and may never play again. 

• Haha 1

4 minutes ago, dont_do_it_doug. said:

Far more plausible considering the manager has stated that he has no intention of playing Watkins on the left, because he's a central-striker... 

...:trollface:

Ings, famous left winger.

Anyway the point is not that Watkins might be played on the left, it’s that Smith could be referring to a front 3 as 3 ‘central’ strikers and not someone to replace Jacks position as a Left midfielder. It’s a different formation. Not sure why you’ve got such a hard on arguing this doug, I don’t want him on the left. Just interpreting what Smith has said.

6 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Anyway the point is not that Watkins might be played on the left, it’s that Smith could be referring to a front 3 as 3 ‘central’ strikers and not someone to replace Jacks position as a Left midfielder. It’s a different formation. Not sure why you’ve got such a hard on arguing this doug, I don’t want him on the left. Just interpreting what Smith has said.

Something like:

Gabby-Benteke-Weimann.

• Like 3

4 hours ago, a m ole said:

I don't have a hard on for arguing about it, I don't really care that much. I was pulling your leg, hence the emoji. But as you insist I'll try again...

Because you can't fit 3 centre forwards on the pitch at one time, it would be too congested in the middle of the pitch to be a viable tactic in the real world. Obviously it could be that Dean's interpretation of centre forward is misleading (i.e. wrong), I cannot know for sure. But I feel confident he knows the difference between a centre forward, an inside forward (e.g. left/right sided forward) and a winger. Also, even forwards have to defend, so the left sided forward would have to defend the left side of the pitch. Hence, they would be playing on the left for half the game regardless of what you want to call them.

Basically, he knows where the middle of the pitch is. By saying centre, he means centre. Or he could be lying through his teeth to throw the opposition of the scent. I am just interpreting what he has said with specificity.

Edited by dont_do_it_doug.

TBH, I think the most reliable evidence of how Smith will use Watkins/Ings is what he did in the last pre-season game (against the Italian team whose name I can;t remember) - i.e. Watkins leading the line; Ings as the no 10/SS type player. It didn't work quite as well in the first half (though Ings did still get a goal) but I suspect Smith will persist with it to see if it clicks over time. 

I fully expect us to start 4-4-2 the first few games with Buendia right, Bailey left and Ings/Watkins down the middle

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, robby b said:

Blimey, what's  happened to Watkins then? Has he picked up an injury in training? :s

Bruised bones according to Dean,  we were making a late assessment on whether he's OK to start,  seems he's not 

Got the impact injury in the Salernitana game

Edited by MrBlack
  • Thanks 1

I'd rather we rest Watkins then risk aggravating any injury and then having him have to miss more games. Genuinely so glad that we have a more than able replacement in Ings, if this had happened last year then it would be very concerning going into the first game. The great thing with Ings is that I am more than confident he can play alongside, as well as instead, of Watkins. 

Hopefully he is back for next weeks game against Newcastle and then Brentford, so Villa park can see him put a few in the net for us. I think it was only those fans able to go to the Chelsea and Spurs game who were able to see him play live for us right? Although there may have been a game or 2 during that trial period during christmas. Either way, I think he will score a hatful again this season and beat last year's tally

1 minute ago, Mantis said:

This is why Ings was such a good signing because we are now no longer **** if Watkins has to miss a game.

Exactly this. The unbreakable, as some said on here, is now broken. Hopefully only for a week but shows how useful having two quality strikers is going to be.

4 minutes ago, ferguson1 said:

Exactly this. The unbreakable, as some said on here, is now broken. Hopefully only for a week but shows how useful having two quality strikers is going to be.

Even if he isn't broken per se, he has time to rest without us stressing over who can play instead of him. Rushing back he who shall not be named last season ended up in him getting injured more. Look forward to seeing Ollie with Ings eventually though, reckon that could be a great duo.

• Like 1

Just imagine if we hadn't signed Ings....

I think he'll be back next weekend if he was close to making today but laughable anyone thinking we can seriously challenge top 7 with just one top class striker in the squad, odd mentality and Ings starting is obviously so much better than having to put Wes in who isn't feeling so good about life currently and hasn't started a game in 18 months.

• Like 1

Â