Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not just about scoring goals though is it? He was involved in way more goal involvements than Foden and had the most assists in the league.

Compare Watkins with Haaland and Foden with Bailey. At least you’re then comparing like for like with their rolls in the side. 

Even compared with Haaland Watkins has had a good season and should be very proud. 

Posted (edited)
2 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

Compare Watkins with Haaland and Foden with Bailey. At least you’re then comparing like for like with their rolls in the side. 

Even compared with Haaland Watkins has had a good season and should be very proud. 

Had a brilliant season*. Here’s to hoping with a stronger squad he gets to 20 next season!

Edited by Aston_Villan4
  • Like 1

1 minute ago, Aston_Villan4 said:

Not just about scoring goals though is it? He was involved in way more goal involvements than Foden and had the most assists in the league.

Still doesn't mean he should get it. Palmer had more goal involvements than both, so by this logic he should have won it over Ollie.

Foden has been far more consistent and influential in a title winning team. I wouldn't be against either of those 3 winning it, but saying it's a load of shit that one won it over another is silly.

• Like 3

25 minutes ago, Tom13 said:

Five games without a goal to end on 19...gutting.

I'm sure he went on a 5 or 6 game no goal streak before Xmas to get to his 50th PL goal too

• Like 1

Just now, Keyblade said:

Still doesn't mean he should get it. Palmer had more goal involvements than both, so by this logic he should have won it over Ollie.

Foden has been far more consistent and influential in a title winning team. I wouldn't be against either of those 3 winning it, but saying it's a load of shit that one won it over another is silly.

Ehh I hear what you’re saying but it’s still a load of shit Foden won it. If influential is the primary criteria then Palmer should’ve run away with it. 

34 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Get him back on penalties next season to help him out with the 20.

I love Ollie but would rather help him to 20 with a fit squad of Buendia, Bailey, Diaby and Ramsey linking up. With our high line and playing out of the back the addition of Ollie doing penalties would be last step inducing a heart attack.

39 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

Get him back on penalties next season to help him out with the 20.

no thanks brother, there is a reason he stopped taking penalties.

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, Wainy316 said:

Was he the top scorer without penalties?  Pens aren’t real goals anyway, they should count half.  

Just checked Haaland 20 goals non penalty. Watkins and Foden tied 2nd with 19. 

• Thanks 2

8 hours ago, Wainy316 said:

Was he the top scorer without penalties?  Pens aren’t real goals anyway, they should count half.  

Why? If you start discounting pens, you probably need to take off tap ins and deflected goals. 

2 hours ago, cheltenham_villa said:

Why? If you start discounting pens, you probably need to take off tap ins and deflected goals. 

Personally, I'd rather penalties were removed from the game totally for non denial of goal scoring opportunity offences, but that's for a different thread.

Posted (edited)

The funny thing about penalties is in FPL winning a penalty is counted as an assist but not in PL assist tally.  Watkins won PL Playmaker with 13. Palmer 2nd with 11. FPL assists Watkins 18 Gordon 16 Palmer 13

I think winning a penalty that is scored should count as an assist. 

So in FPL Watkins had 37 goal contributions. That's insane and also the most of any player with Haaland and Palmer on 35

Edited by Kiwivillan

On 15/05/2024 at 21:59, briny_ear said:

Can you give me an example of a “team on the rise” that has successfully applied such a model in, say, the past 20 years in the premier league?

Manchester City?

Sane

Jesus

Palmer

Cancelo

Sterling

Danilo 

Zinchenko

Ferran Torres

Douglas Luiz

Shaun Wright Phillips

Â