Ollie Watkins

alreadyexists

He's so good, watching him over the last few games and you can see him growing in personality as well as on the pitch. He's the best striker I have seen play for villa, world class.

• Like 1

Bit of a counterpoint here, and I absolutely love Ollie, but I thought his decision making was lacking a bit last night. There were a few times when he made the wrong choice. The obvious one was the cut back on the left where Ginny was wide open for a tap in and he shot wide. There was another as well where he drove toward the byline and put it in the side netting, when if he'd just held it for another second, support was steaming into the box. 

• Like 1

58 minutes ago, HKP90 said:

Bit of a counterpoint here, and I absolutely love Ollie, but I thought his decision making was lacking a bit last night. There were a few times when he made the wrong choice. The obvious one was the cut back on the left where Ginny was wide open for a tap in and he shot wide. There was another as well where he drove toward the byline and put it in the side netting, when if he'd just held it for another second, support was steaming into the box. 

And the one where Rogers was wide open and he went for the shot again. That one should have been a penalty in the end but still, he should have found Rogers for a tap-in.

• Like 3

3 hours ago, HKP90 said:

I don’t think that sort of awareness is really Ollie’s strength. He’s got a bit of tunnel vision for the goal. 

Mind you still joint top in assists for the league so he’s got awareness when it’s not on but I have a feeling once he decides to shoot, no one else is getting a pass. 

25 minutes ago, beachboys1 said:

the amount of headers he is scoring now is an improvement  a complete striker

Made doubly more impressive when you remember that unlike Haaland he's not some 6'5 monster.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, DJBOB said:

Him and Emi dragging us through both competitions at this point.

If only we had 11 of them like Man City eh! I’m happy if being dragged is what we are ! 🙂

When the pressure hits you find out who’s the real deal.

We all know Martinez excels under pressure but Watkins has been an absolute revelation and is now for me the only candidate for player of the year. If anything, he’s the one who has found his voice and seems to be thriving the harder it gets.

Hopefully McGinn can have a similar response (the signs are there following the performance v Lille) as we need him at a similar level to get us over the line. 

22 hours ago, HKP90 said:

Disagree on the second of those (and struggling to remember the first).  With the second you absolutely want your main striker to be looking to fashion half a yard of space and get a shot away.  If he'd got it on target it would have been difficult for the keeper to save cleanly (or even get to it at all) so you're then looking for your other attackers / midfielders to be getting on the end of any save / block / deflection and to bury the rebound.

Â