Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

This isn't going to happen in its entirety, the government have already warned them that any failure to agree something with consensus accross the footballing pyramid will lead to a fan-led review of it. Not quite sure what that means, and I've no love for the current government, but good to see such firm warnings at this point. 

• Like 1

A fair compromise for voting rights may be lowering threshold for passing resolutions from 2/3 majority (14 clubs) to 50%, which would only require 10 votes. Big six could then largely control the league with only 4 other supporters, which I’m sure they could manage with. You could even take voting rights away from newly promoted teams which would mean only 8/9 votes were required.

6 minutes ago, HanoiVillan said:

By bartering with them, you are doing exactly what they hope, and what this stupid document is intended to do. No, that wouldn't be a 'fair compromise' - there is no need to compromise from the truly fair system that we have now.

Turkey voting for Christmas springs to mind

• Like 2

They know what they are doing. They've tried to get the EFL onside with their proposal's. The rest of the proposals are so outlandish that they want clubs to negotiate with them to come to a compromise because a compromised solution for them is better than no solution. 

• Like 4

9 minutes ago, omariqy said:

They know what they are doing. They've tried to get the EFL onside with their proposal's. The rest of the proposals are so outlandish that they want clubs to negotiate with them to come to a compromise because a compromised solution for them is better than no solution. 

agree, they'll shout from the rooftops over some things that are so outlandish they probably know they'll never be accepted whilst as a compromise they'll quietly squeeze through some comparatively minor but still hugely damaging amendments 

• Like 3

Unsurprisingly Gary Neville is for the idea. Another clearing in the woods

Jonathan Walters on the other hand has been vocal on Twitter against this while indicating actual credible points but not as big of a name to get recognition

Utterly stinks; especially the "special voting rights". 

I think Rick Parry is causing a whole host of problems for the EFL. Am I reading it right that the majority of EFL clubs are in favour of this? Is this because of the financial package? Just bend them over a barrel why don't you. 

3 minutes ago, cyrusr said:

Utterly stinks; especially the "special voting rights". 

I think Rick Parry is causing a whole host of problems for the EFL. Am I reading it right that the majority of EFL clubs are in favour of this? Is this because of the financial package? Just bend them over a barrel why don't you. 

I imagine in the EFL it’s the League 1 and 2 clubs that are in favour as the lack of fans has pushed them towards financial ruin. Many at this level know they will never reach the PL so right now the cash is more important. It’s extortion as it will no doubt it will be damaging long term to many. I can’t see any ambitious Championship clubs voting for this as it will effectively lock them out of the PL after a few years.

Wonder how much power the rest of the PL can have.

There's some good stuff in there for the lower end of the EFL IMO.

But they are definitely killing off any challengers and might try to just say fix it yourselves then and not support them at all.

9 minutes ago, mikeyjavfc said:

I imagine in the EFL it’s the League 1 and 2 clubs that are in favour as the lack of fans has pushed them towards financial ruin. Many at this level know they will never reach the PL so right now the cash is more important. It’s extortion as it will no doubt it will be damaging long term to many. I can’t see any ambitious Championship clubs voting for this as it will effectively lock them out of the PL after a few years.

I suspect you are right and given their financial predicament at the moment, they will agree. It will remove any prospect of random teams making an impact on the Premier League ever again. 

No team should ever, ever, be given "Special Voting Rights", especially since Leicester aren't one of them and as has been said, they have won it more recently than 6 of the 9 clubs that would get "Special Voting Rights". 

"Some are more equal than others". Quite. 

• Like 1

There were a lot of the larger clubs in the Championship, us included at the time, that we’re extremely unhappy with the last TV package the EFL negotiated, with barely any consolation with the clubs. There was talk of lawyers getting involved and there was even a meeting arranged at Villa Park for all the Championship clubs. 

I don’t know what came of it and at the time we were “run” by Xia and his bunch of crooks. However this stinks of Parry and his filthy Scouse fingers. The timing when fans aren’t at grounds to vent their anger and the smaller clubs are desperate is disgusting. 

Business and money are no longer a necessary evil within football, they have become for those at the top the only reason that football exists. 

Fans at stadiums used to be required to create atmosphere and enhance the TV experience. No fans? No problem pipe the crowd noise in to the millions of TV viewers. Who needs those grubby urchins with their poxy few quid, awful pies and silly scarves. I’m pretty sure they already have the technology to do virtual crowds anyway. 

In 1992 football caught an almost incurable disease called money. Money always has it’s right hand man greed with it. A destructive duo that has brought the world’s greatest game to it’s knees. I fear that it may now be too late to save the patient. 

The Yanks never really understood Soccerball anyway, so it’s no surprise that Man U and the Scousers are here for the kill. 

• Like 1

The lack of parachute payments would really affect the league, surely they can't do it with one years notice? Especially with 5 teams getting moved down a league? Their existing contracts could kill them- even with higher championship TV money.

7 minutes ago, maxjackle said:

The lack of parachute payments would really affect the league, surely they can't do it with one years notice? Especially with 5 teams getting moved down a league? Their existing contracts could kill them- even with higher championship TV money.

This is the real killer for the day 1 rules. 

Every promoted team would have to do a Norwich and pocket the cash and accept relegation back down. 

It would be suicide to start paying PL wages and signing fees when you had no buffer if relegated.  It would be like falling off a cliff face. 

So you've cemented the current membership plus 3 perennial floaters up and down every season. 

But this is only phase 1.  The second the top 6 get the voting rights they will then begin the real agenda and the 3 "special" right teams will start to be marginalised by deals that benefit the current big 6. 

It stinks, absolutely stinks to high heaven. 

If anyone outside the big 6 vote for it I hope they rot in hell and suffer the consequences.

Even teams like Spurs and Arsenal will suffer in this.  It will end up with an annual 2 way title shootout between Liverpool and Man United because of their global fan base.

I mean, they of course know this which is their entire driver. 

Man United can already see their position slipping irrespective of their fan base and Liverpool have just been humiliated by little old us.

Neither of these things would happen under the new regime.  United would be paying Jack Grealish £600k per week right now and we'd be trying to beat Liverpool with Henry Lansbury as our driving force from midfield. 

• Like 4

it would drive wages up because you'd have to include relegation clauses in every contract, either a pay cut or cheap release clause

villa did it under lerner, there was a stink around us giving the likes of gabby and westwood new deals, it was us putting clauses in to protect ourselves, cant remember who told me that, it was someone to do with the club at a lions club meeting

I'd just love for the other 14 PL clubs + the EFL clubs to come up with something that excludes the "Big 6". 

I know it's not going to happen (and probably illegal) but let's see how long they'd last in their European "Super" League and no domestic football.  They'd soon come running back.

• Like 2

Would love it if Man Utd andLiverpool we’re expelled from the Premiership. It just might dawn on the rest of football that they need us more than we need them. I have increasingly grown bored by European football. Lacks the passion of the domestic game, especially against nearby clubs. F***k em, just F***k em.

• Like 4

12 minutes ago, chomer said:

I'd just love for the other 14 PL clubs + the EFL clubs to come up with something that excludes the "Big 6". 

I know it's not going to happen (and probably illegal) but let's see how long they'd last in their European "Super" League and no domestic football.  They'd soon come running back.

They will. Who would a liverpool fan gloat over a victory over Juventus for example? Same with spurs without west ham liverpool  etc.

It would be  a complete  flop. I hope they do get lost makes the pl much better for everyone  else

• Like 2

46 minutes ago, chomer said:

No more illegal than what they are trying to do. I love that Liverpool and Manchester United are the driving force behind this. They showed in their last game how much better they are than the rest of the league didn't they? 

• Like 2
  • Haha 1

Â