Premier League 2020-21 thread

Jareth

6 hours ago, John said:

We also have a Villa fan (Mervyn King) on the group that are suggesting this. 

Well that worked out well the last time he was involved. 

• Haha 2

I paid 50 something pound a month for mine and my boys season ticket. I reakon £15 a game means I'll probably be paying more to watch us on the box than in person 😂

When it comes to the bailout, I think a big question is...Why should they? 

It'd be great if they did, and probably better for the sport, but should they be forced to? Is Tesco being told to bail out other grocers? Is Costa bailing out smaller coffee shops?

It seems odd that there's an expectation that in football, the bigger companies will help the smaller ones get through it. 

21 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

It'd be great if they did, and probably better for the sport, but should they be forced to? Is Tesco being told to bail out other grocers? Is Costa bailing out smaller coffee shops?

It seems odd that there's an expectation that in football, the bigger companies will help the smaller ones get through it. 

Its a tough one. A lot of teams have benefited by happening to be in the top division when the Premier League was formed and they've grown far wealthier as a result. Teams in the top division when I was young like Forest, Sheff Wed, Luton, Coventry, etc, missed out on huge riches just by timing and luck to an extent. 

Tesco's in this analogy are getting more money thrown at them just by being part of a certain club while the other grocers who missed out are getting nothing. A case of the rich getting richer. 

Maybe. 

I know what I mean! 

• Like 1

46 minutes ago, Davkaus said:

The whole point of sport is the competition between teams. If you apply a capitalist ‘survival of the fittest’ mentally and let all the teams below the PL go to the wall then you have shot yourself in the foot as the quality and interest in the PL league would diminish.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Sorry I don't think thats a very good analogy. Football can't survive without competition. With all the money the Premier League clubs have and the obscene amount thats has been spent on transfers fees they have a moral obligation to support the clubs in the lower tier of english football. If Coronavirus had happened 20/30 years ago every club would have gone out of business. 

3 hours ago, Davkaus said:

well they definitely should BUT the issue is the clubs that Go Big with the Premier League money and waste it. I think clubs in League 1 and League 2 deserve some sort of support but I dont have much sympathy for top flight teams that went down to the Championship with no plans(I include Villa under Lerner in this) or Championship clubs chasing the dream

10 hours ago, Zatman said:

well they definitely should BUT the issue is the clubs that Go Big with the Premier League money and waste it. I think clubs in League 1 and League 2 deserve some sort of support but I dont have much sympathy for top flight teams that went down to the Championship with no plans(I include Villa under Lerner in this) or Championship clubs chasing the dream

Surely 'Villa under Lerner' is an example of how vastly more complicated the whole issue is than is being made out. Lots of people on both threads are saying that clubs should 'live within their means', but that's exactly what post-2010 Villa attempted to do under Lerner. Transfer spending was massively cut back, high earners were attempted to be forced out of the club ('the bomb squad'), and what was the result? Inevitably, eventual relegation through squad degradation. Many of the same people banging the 'live within your means' drum would have been banging the 'showing no ambition, circling the drain' drum 6 years ago.

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

Surely 'Villa under Lerner' is an example of how vastly more complicated the whole issue is than is being made out. Lots of people on both threads are saying that clubs should 'live within their means', but that's exactly what post-2010 Villa attempted to do under Lerner. Transfer spending was massively cut back, high earners were attempted to be forced out of the club ('the bomb squad'), and what was the result? Inevitably, eventual relegation through squad degradation. Many of the same people banging the 'live within your means' drum would have been banging the 'showing no ambition, circling the drain' drum 6 years ago.

We had to massively underspend in those days because of ludicrous overspending in the years before spending massive transfer fees and outrageous wages on a bunch of really average players. 

Even then there were still ways to muddle through but again we just employed the wrong managers and bought the wrong budget players. 

I don't think what happened in the later Lerner years is worthy of any comparison of what happens in football. We were about as badly run as its possible for a club to be run.  

Look at Burnley, Crystal Palace (OK mainly probably due to Woy) Bournemouth for a number of years and most especially Leicester. 

Well run clubs who make good decisions can compete and do well on limited budgets. 

We were poster boys for what happens when you get a ton of money and throw it around without any plan. 

Even then we could have carried on being reasonably successful if Randy hadn't turned the money tap off. 

• Like 1

12 hours ago, HanoiVillan said:

I actually thought it was refreshing when we were signing the lower league randoms in 2012. They weren't all bad as Lowton and Westwood have since proved (although we probably should've stopped there rather than attempt to mould Bowery into the new Gabby...) and other teams like Sheffield and Burnley have proved you can carve out competitive premier league teams with those sort of players. Some were out of their depth but they weren't all bad.

Would've loved us to become a top 10 team at least with that sort of set up but we forgot to add the experienced premier league player into that mix which costs money. At least we've learning that this time with Ross Barkley.

41 minutes ago, Phil Silvers said:

I pray to the baby Jesus and all the little angels in heaven in the hope that ManU (not a chance while VAR has a say in the matter) and west ham and Southampton get relegated this season.

Zero chance United go down.  I would so so love it if they did but their squad even as bad as it is compared to what it should be for the amount spent is still going to finish top half. 

Also they would by then have got rid of Solskjaer and employed a proper manager.  And of course spend £500m in January if they're looking remotely like going down by then. 

Sadly it's just almost impossible to see United ever getting relegated. 

Edited by sidcow

this season is one of the most recent seasons where I have absolutely no clue how it'll shape out. I had thought that Liverpool was going to stroll the league, but I can't see that now with VVD missing probably the rest of the year. will be a very fascinating season no matter what. 

• Like 1

To be fair to Fulham, they play some nice stuff but they look SO soft at the back, and toothless going forward.

Seems like they've panicked and shoved a load of new signings into the team again.

9 minutes ago, StefanAVFC said:

To be fair to Fulham, they play some nice stuff but they look SO soft at the back, and toothless going forward.

Seems like they've panicked and shoved a load of new signings into the team again.

One of their new defenders got injured.

Sheffield United surely got to put Brewster on.

Â