U.S. Presidential Election 2020

maqroll

U.S. Presidential Election 2020  

125 members have voted

1. 1. Who wins?

16 minutes ago, LondonLax said:

You mean CNN’s social media guy is planting these ideas on behalf of the Democrats? Or are the Democrats directly telling CNN’s twitter guy what to write? I think it’s just that whoever wrote the tweet was editorialising based on their own thoughts, not a coordinated strategy.  

The media are far more partisan in the US though, aren’t they. Donna Brazile was under contract with CNN when she leaked the debate questions in advance to Hilary last time round - though she was sacked when it came out. 

CNN is obviously more aligned editorially with the wider Democratic Party platform than with the Trump Show Republicans, I’d be surprised if there wasn’t a two-way unofficial dialogue almost constantly. 

Edit: as there will be between Trump’s people and Fox. 

Edited by Awol
  • Like 2

President Trump’s son-in-law and senior adviser, Jared Kushner, met privately last weekend with Kanye West, the rapper who has filed petitions to get on the November ballots for president in several states.

The meeting took place in Colorado, where Mr. Kushner was traveling with his wife, Ivanka Trump, those familiar with the meeting said. Mr. West had been camping in Colorado with his family, and afterward flew to Telluride to meet with Mr. Kushner and Ms. Trump, but was not accompanied by his wife, Kim Kardashian West, those with knowledge of the meeting said.

The meeting came at a notable time. Mr. West recently criticized Joseph R. Biden Jr. in an interview with Forbes. He did not deny that he is acting as a spoiler to damage the Biden campaign with his effort to get on several ballots in states like Colorado, where he will appear. 

https://www.nytimes.com/live/2020/08/12/us/biden-vs-trump#kanye-west-who-is-pursuing-a-spot-on-the-2020-ballot-met-with-jared-kushner

15 hours ago, LondonLax said:

I wouldn’t mind seeing a Venn diagram showing how much overlap there is between ‘People who would vote of Kanye West’ and ‘People who take politics seriously enough that they will actually vote in a US election’. 

I think if the choice was Kanye West or Donald Trump, I'd vote Kanye West every day of the week. Genuinely

If there was an ACTUAL politician in the race though, I wouldn't vote for West

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This looks like something you'd make in Double IT when the teacher wasn't looking

It is quite funny though in a toddler type way 😀

Don't forget every race starts with a first step 👍

Edited by Amsterdam_Neil_D
  • Haha 1

4 hours ago, Stevo985 said:

This looks like something you'd make in Double IT when the teacher wasn't looking

Perhaps, but in terms of messaging, compare with the vid linked by Blandy above. That goes on and on. The message contained therein is so important but the effectiveness of the delivery is ruined. It should have been broken into a number of shorter on point vids. 

The Trump vid, regardless of the message therein is short and on point.

Given the "independents" are the target market, which msg is more likely to have made an impact?

10 minutes ago, villakram said:

Perhaps, but in terms of messaging, compare with the vid linked by Blandy above. That goes on and on. The message contained therein is so important but the effectiveness of the delivery is ruined. It should have been broken into a number of shorter on point vids. 

Given the "independents" are the target market, which msg is more likely to have made an impact?

I don't disagree or care to be honest. It was just funny

29 minutes ago, villakram said:

So good I couldn’t stop watching. 

45 minutes ago, villakram said:

I agree, and will make another comparison to Brexit. The people running that campaign, like Trumps manage to get little bits of information to stick and stay in peoples mind. 
“we need to build a wall” and “Hilary is a crook”. It gets delivered in a very memorable way for the target audience.

• Like 2

10 minutes ago, Genie said:

I agree, and will make another comparison to Brexit. The people running that campaign, like Trumps manage to get little bits of information to stick and stay in peoples mind. 
“we need to build a wall” and “Hilary is a crook”. It gets delivered in a very memorable way for the target audience.

That's true, or was true.

I wonder whether people will start to tire of 3 word messages and in the light of the general cluster-pork, start to want a little more? If they'll start to be a bit more questioning of stuff like "Stay at home protect the NHS" or "MAGA" or "Build the Wall" in the light of PPE scandals and the USA's death and joblessness rates and so on.

You'd hope so.

2 minutes ago, blandy said:

You'd hope so.

I would, but I think if anything it’ll go more the other way.

People don’t trust experts anymore so won’t invest time to understand the detail. People make up their minds based on memes on social media now that’s why images of refugees and big red buses with writing on the side are so powerful. 

Edited by Genie

Just now, Genie said:

I would, but I think if anything it’ll go more the other way.

People don’t trust experts anymore so won’t invest time to understand the detail. People make up their minds based on memes on social media now.

Fair enough. Optimistically, perhaps I tend to think people will come the crunch (e.g. the US election) want to hear more than slogans and name calling and that they'll make a degree of judgement on how the incumbent has helped them or not and which promises have been kept or broken.

• Like 1

Â