• El Ghazi (Davis, 82)
    • McGinn (Hourihane, 60)
    • Trezeguet (Nakamba, 82)
    • Taylor (Targett, 11)
    • Elmohamady (Konsa, 60)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/20 at 22:59

4 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

To be fair he did play him when he first came but he’s absolutely crap to the point that he was genuinely worse than Nyland.

Another one for the list of dreadful signings made this season. 

Was he though? He was like poor in one game in particular I remember, 2 games at the absolute most. He was definitely solid for us when he first came in.

I think people are exaggerating a bit how poor Reina has actually been in an effort to defend Smith's decision to choose Nyland.

• Like 3

Just now, Laughable Chimp said:

Was he though? He was like poor in one game in particular I remember, 2 games at the absolute most. He was definitely solid for us when he first came in.

I think people are exaggerating a bit how poor Reina has actually been in an effort to defend Smith's decision to choose Nyland.

Yes he was absolutely dreadful. Looked completely past it. I don’t think Nyland is very good but I don’t doubt for one minute that Reina is worse.

If Steer was fit or if he threw Sarkic in for a game I’d understand that but dropping Nyland for Reina would not be a good decision for me. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Hev said:

As i said in the match thread at least if the season had been cancelled we could have claimed to have been unfairly relegated🤬 If we could only just once pull off a supposed shock result. How far have we fallen.🤬

Haven't I read this post before? 

• Haha 1

47 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

Moutinho finally came to Villa Park at least. Such a shame I couldn't be there to see him.

We were linked with him a fair bit when he was 23/24, that was the sort of signing that would have taken us forward, in a midfield with the likes of Barry, Young, Milner, Petrov. Instead we signed nobodies and been downhill ever since.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Laughable Chimp said:

What's wrong with playing 2 up front and hitting long balls? The intention there is obviously to have Davis be the target man and have Samatta play off him. That's not inherently a bad strategy.

The problem was imo that none of our attackers had the belief nor motivation that they could push through Wolves's defence. We ended up passing it sideways where it became an ineffective cross or passed it backwards which led to more long balls forward.

Not sure I noticed Samatta getting into positions too often to take the knock-downs, even if they had been coming.

So in that sense the strategy might have been not bad but the actual execution was woeful, which is one of the reasons why we had no real chances.

Indeed, the clearest thing to emerge from the match for me was how clear the Wolves players are about where they are playing on the pitch and what to do in those positions, and our almost complete lack of awareness on that front. And that from a game where we were a little more organised than usual.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 2

13 minutes ago, tom_avfc said:

To be fair he did play him when he first came but he’s absolutely crap to the point that he was genuinely worse than Nyland.

Another one for the list of dreadful signings made this season. 

I have more faith in him than Nyland.  The defence must have zero confidence in him too.

38 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

The point is im sure most managers would do better than ehat smith is. Id say he is even doing worse than farke

Agree. Compare what Farke has spent to Smith. I’m struggling to find a comparable. Absolutely abysmal management staff... smith, JT etc all need to go

• Like 3

5 minutes ago, smg said:

Reina has actually had the virus perhaps he is still suffering after effects and is not as sharp as he could be ?

I think this is a fair point. I’m a bit surprised he’s even on the bench - just shows how threadbare our goalkeeping resources are I guess. 

We can’t improve or progress under Smith. If we have to spend, let it be on a decent manager.

There is enough talent in our squad to be mid table. We have no system, defensively we have improved but we are really terrible going forward, and it’s not our forwards fault, the system is terrible. We also have insufficient attacking options, even with Wesley back, we need variety and speed/directness. 

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Wolves is such a well drilled team.

Knows exactly what they are doing.

Not often you come across a team that is so defensively strong.

its called good management ..they all know their rolls in the team, the platform & structure is in place, trust in the manager team.

wolves are in every way what villa want to be, however ..under smith it wont happen 

• Like 3

40 minutes ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

We were linked with him a fair bit when he was 23/24, that was the sort of signing that would have taken us forward, in a midfield with the likes of Barry, Young, Milner, Petrov. Instead we signed nobodies and been downhill ever since.

This rot is the result of a stubborn MON. 8 points ahead of Arsenal and we signed Heskey. We were offered Falcao and Cavani and another midfielder but I've never found out his name. He signed Heskey. Then cried and ran off when Lerner said no to McGeady.

• Like 1

26 minutes ago, cbr600rr said:

its called good management ..they all know their rolls in the team, the platform & structure is in place, trust in the manager team.

wolves are in every way what villa want to be, however ..under smith it wont happen 

love a good roll me . Tasty.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, dubbs said:

That's why I don't watch this shower of shit anymore.  Refuse to allow these "professionals " ruin my mood every match day.  Smith is a joke and so are his coaching team. 

The break was nice and I did not miss football that much, then I started looking forward to the restart now Im in a foul mood all the time its not healthy supporting Villa, my daughter  (7 year old) decided she wanted to be a Man City fan ,Im so glad she won’t go through this crap

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, gwi1890 said:

my daughter  (7 year old) decided she wanted to be a Man City fan ,Im so glad she won’t go through this crap

There is still time to change her mind. You know you want to. ;)

• Haha 1

Wolves never got out of second gear, we stayed in fourth all game. I’m not buying this “we were tired” from Smith. Nonsense.

We’re talking about professional athletes, surrounded by trainers, medical staff etc, that should be able to give them sufficient recovery methods.  The truth is, we’re not good enough for this league with our current squad.

I’m fed up of excuses. We barely troubled them let’s be honest.  We severely lack any creative spark and rely solely on Jack to do it all.  God help us when he goes.

This is exactly why I wasn’t missing the footie over the last few months, because I knew we’d come back to this.  My only surprise is that we’ve stopped conceding 20 shots against.  Wow, great.  

We desperately need a change somewhere next season and most probably it’ll be the coaching staff all round. However, we must look at our player recruitment policy and our scouting network.  It’s been poor for years and looking at the two sides today, we’re poles apart.  Sad state of affairs. 

Edited by ferguson1
  • Like 1

Â