• El Ghazi (Davis, 82)
    • McGinn (Hourihane, 60)
    • Trezeguet (Nakamba, 82)
    • Taylor (Targett, 11)
    • Elmohamady (Konsa, 60)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/20 at 22:59

I think that final free kick from Nyland summed it all up. We are woeful, clueless, don’t know how to score goals or even get close to creating a goal threat.

Smith finally got the idea of playing two strikers but didn’t know how to make that more telling in front of goal. 

We actually played quite well at the start of the match and Wolves had an off day for 90 minutes. But we have little chance of staying in this league unless we can learn how to capitalise on days like this.

I confess I am jealous of Wolves and the position they have achieved over about the same timescale since we both got Chinese owners.

Edited by briny_ear
  • Like 1

Just now, Sulberto21 said:

Douglas Luiz only player getting stuck in.  Only player who wasn't scared of Traore and the only player who wanted the ball other than Grealish.  Taylor honourable mention for him but where was the motivation.?

When Mick kearns used to coach us on Sundays by wallows Lane in Walsall he said if you can't beat them at least kick them. They're better than us fair enough but at least make them work.  

Get lost project restart. Pull us out now. 

Luiz was very naive with the goal we conceded and how he handled Traore in the build up. He should have fouled him, took a booking instead of letting him skip past him.

If he fouls him in that situation they don't score.

Thats the difference and thats what happens when Jack gets the ball in dangerous positions. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

What did you expect today ? To win 4-0, lads spraying ball about Barca-esgue? Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say we lost to a better team. Today was that day. 

We don't beat the shitter teams either and Wolves hardly had any chances today. How many saves did Nyland make?

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AvfcRigo82 said:

Probably with the 4th official feeling we should have had another 21 seconds left...

It was one of the coaching staff but they had their back to the camera then it switched to Wolves defending.

1 minute ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Its not the tactics here that's the problem imo. This time it seems like there's a lack of belief in motivation in the final third. And with each loss we take, that's not going to improve.

Are you serious?

We played 2 up front and then hit long balls all game? 

Bread and butter for Wolves defence

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

What did you expect today ? To win 4-0, lads spraying ball about Barca-esgue? Sometimes you just have to put your hands up and say we lost to a better team. Today was that day. 

Trouble is, we can say that every game.

• Like 2

Just now, imavillan said:

Luiz was very naive with the goal we conceded and how he handled Traore in the build up. He should have fouled him, took a booking instead of letting him skip past him.

Thats the difference and thats what happens when Jack gets the ball in dangerous positions. 

Yes and  in a way he had the easy job of playing defensive midfield. Kept things simple, but the more difficult job was what Grealish had to do create chances against a brilliantly disciplined Wolves defence and he failed at that 

The only positives I can find from today is that for parts of the game we were actually able to string some passes together, Luiz played well and I didn't waste any money paying to watch it. The negatives are plentiful, too many to list, or even waste time thinking about. 

Liverpool up next, don't be fooled into thinking they won't show up just because the league's been won. They could show up absolutely hanging and we still won't win. 

I can't see that sacking Smith now will change anything, but both him, his coaching team and the players are all to blame for this. 

Time to forget football and go and find something enjoyable to do, because watching Villa isn't that. 

Just now, imavillan said:

Actually the Wolves player on the ground hindered him. The best way to block would have meant standing on the player. Also nakamba sort of got in his way. After that moment Luiz had traore locked off. But yes he could have fouled him initially. 

3 minutes ago, sne said:

Yes they have far better players than us but they are also so much better drilled. 

Maybe. Hard to disentangle what is ability and what is application. NES is a better manager than Smith but I doubt if roles were reversed he could get a tune out of our bunch

We have a very, very poor squad, especially going forward. 

I thought Smith did an amazing job last season but the squad overhaul required, even if it had been very well done which I wasn’t, was always going to make it an uphill struggle

Victim of his own success - If we’d missed promotion and were now riding high in the Championship everyone would be singing his praises

For me, from the off, 17th place was always going to be the target. This is exactly what I thought this season would feel like - the higher your starting expectations the more disgruntled you’ll be feeling!

• Like 4

1 minute ago, Lord Willard said:

How the hell did Wolves get Santo in the Championship man. Quality coach.

We are relegation fodder. Luckily they're 5 other teams as bad as us

They got Santo when they were in the Championship because unlike most Villa fans on here they didn't keep saying or thinking "Who can we get that is any better than the useless word removed we have already?"

• Like 2

7 minutes ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

It's astounding that anyone can defend this, absolutely mind blowing.

We are both older fans on here. I agree I have never seen such lack of interest by a Villa team. We have been crap before and relegated many times. But never gave up without a fight. Please get a manager, any manager, that will make them try. Can you imaging if this was Fergie's team 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, jim said:

It was one of the coaching staff but they had their back to the camera then it switched to Wolves defending.

Hopefully he was telling them they're all on the dole now. 

Lack of effort appalling. As I said, a league one team would show more and give more effort.

Somebody said, and I can't reply in the march thread, that a league one team won't have to replace all their players.

That's absolutely nothing to do with effort.

• Like 1

I've seen a few say these players aren't good enough, but i guarantee you, anyone that leave at the end of this season will look a miles better player.

The squad we have is easily, and I stress easily, good enough for a lower mid-table finish.

There has to be a reason for us looking more like a bunch of strangers now than we did 9n match day 1.  There has to be a reason why the players look so far behind in terms of fitness than literally every other team 8n the league.  There mas to be a reason why we are in a relegation fight and yet the players are still playing like this is a preseason friendly.

The only commonality behind all these issues is the manager and coaching staff.  Its abundantly clear that the management team lack the skill and experience to compete at the top level.  Its been clear since before Smith got his new contract.

The owners have to take a massive portion of the responsibility for our free-fall for giving DS a new contract when he hadn't proven he could compete at this level - amateur hour.

Successful businessmen they may be, experienced at running sports teams in the US, OK, but theyv'e made very amateur errors with this club, and need to act to put it right.

As we speak, i have zero faith that anyone at the club has any idea what to do to even start putting this right.  There is just a sinking feeling for me that we are going to be the next Leeds or Pompey and end up 8n League one, that's how clueless and directionless the club looks to me right now.  Worst of all, i'm not convinced any of them care.

• Like 2

Â