• El Ghazi (Davis, 82)
    • McGinn (Hourihane, 60)
    • Trezeguet (Nakamba, 82)
    • Taylor (Targett, 11)
    • Elmohamady (Konsa, 60)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/20 at 22:59

I now think Smith flattered to deceive in the CH, and I know I was certainly fooled by the storming end to the season.

But he achieved that by finishing 5th with players like Abraham, Grealish, Mings and Tuanzebe .

He has been found out at this level. He and his coaching staff must be relieved of duty when this season ends.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

I now think Smith flattered to deceive in the CH, and I know I was certainly fooled by the storming end to the season.

But he achieved that by finishing 5th with players like Abraham, Grealish, Mings and Tuanzebe .

He has been found out at this level. He and his coaching staff must be relieved of duty when this season ends.

Why wait?  Appoint a short term man like Warnock, Allardyce, etc until the end 9f the season.  A manager like that could keep us up.

Then appoint a Poch type, and we could go from strength to strength.

Unfortunately, i have nearly as little confidence in NSWE as i have had in any villa manager since venglos

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Villastine said:

Are you serious?

We played 2 up front and then hit long balls all game? 

Bread and butter for Wolves defence

What's wrong with playing 2 up front and hitting long balls? The intention there is obviously to have Davis be the target man and have Samatta play off him. That's not inherently a bad strategy.

The problem was imo that none of our attackers had the belief nor motivation that they could push through Wolves's defence. We ended up passing it sideways where it became an ineffective cross or passed it backwards which led to more long balls forward.

6 minutes ago, Sulberto21 said:

I disagree. The strength and fitness of the Wolves players compared to us and most other teams compared to us is superior.  So if Nuno was our manager our players would be stronger and fitter at least.

17th is fine but most fans are disgruntled with the lack of improvement in some areas during the season and also the effort. 

We’ll have to agree to disagree. With modern technology and methods, I doubt that there is  much difference in fitness between top sides worldwide. 

It may be that one reason better players and squads seem fitter is because they have better physical attributes to start with or perhaps less talented squads need to work harder and concentrate more just to stay in the game - we looked like we were paddling full speed to stay afloat today whilst Wolves superior squad was just cruising around

Lack of fitness is always one of the first charges levied against out of favour managers. Deadball restarts, throw-ins, passing, shooting and not shouting enough are also commonly cited - In reality in the main it is down to the quality of the players and we have three or four PL players and the rest don’t belong there

If we could find a Santos or Rafa I’d happily consider a change but for me Smith is a victim of his own success in gaining promotion last season

If you were expecting more than a point a game form you will of course be unhappy now

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

12 minutes ago, Demitri_C said:

So if we appointed poch or allegri we wouldnt be out? Not saying either would come but the odds are better of we had someone else than the hopelessly out of his depth dean smith

Poch or Allegri ain’t coming mate

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, chips'ngravy said:

I guess we all see the game differently but I'm struggling to see how you think we could have easily got a point. Didn't trouble their keeper the whole match and our strikers were a world away from looking like a goal threat. Wolves played well within themselves. 

Likewise, given the above...how does that convince you we would've beaten Sheff Utd and Newcastle? We created nothing.

Fair dos. I just think there were minimal chances in the game as a whole and could quite easily have seen it fizzling out into a 0-0. Don't get me wrong, we created next to nothing but I thought we looked pretty solid compared to pre-lockdown.

I was very impressed with Wolves to be honest, I think the team selection and formation wasn't bad and might have brought more joy against a lesser side in Newcastle and what looks to be a real out-of-sorts team in Sheff Utd.

29 minutes ago, AntrimBlack said:

Trouble is, we can say that every game.

We can mate, but I don't. I thought Chelsea and Newcastle were poor performances. This wasn't great but I just think they have better players and a better manager currently, and today it showed. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, VillaCas said:

We’ll have to agree to disagree. With modern technology and methods, I doubt that there is  much difference in fitness between top sides worldwide. 

It may be that one reason better players and squads seem fitter is because they have better physical attributes to start with or perhaps less talented squads need to work harder and concentrate more just to stay in the game - we looked like we were paddling full speed to stay afloat today whilst Wolves superior squad was just cruising around

Lack of fitness is always one of the first charges levied against out of favour managers. Deadball restarts, throw-ins, passing, shooting and not shouting enough are also commonly cited - In reality in the main it is down to the quality of the players and we have three or four PL players and the rest don’t belong there

If we could find a Santos or Rafa I’d happily consider a change but for me Smith is a victim of his own success in gaining promotion last season

If you were expecting more than a point a game form you will of course be unhappy now

I saw a stat today that Villa lose possession from 70 percent of their throws.

I suppose this is because our players have inferior physical attributes too amd not because of poor movement?

Literally every time we have a throw in it looks like there are 11 statues in villa shirts on the pitch we move so little.  Thats easily coachable, even league 2 sides to better than that against top tier sides.

Player ability may be a part of our problem, but my opinion is that its not, but the coaching is far more to blame for basic stuff like that.

• Like 2

37 minutes ago, pacbuddies said:

We don't beat the shitter teams either and Wolves hardly had any chances today. How many saves did Nyland make?

I thought the problem was we don't beat sides from the top 6 ? 

End of day we are where we are because we haven't won enough games whether that be teams against the top, middle or bottom.

Nyland I think had one save to make, which is a positive that we are not conceding 20+ chances per game like we had been doing.

The problem with the defensive improvements seems to be detrimental to our attacking play. Today we were totally nullified by the Wolves defensive unit.

If we had took a point today (not behind all realms have possibility based on possession/chances) I think this thread would be a lot more positive. 

Smith should have gone at Christmas. Many people said it and were shot down in flames for saying so. The result could be disastrous. Highest net spenders in the league and we get relegated. Brentford flourish and come up. Bruce underperforming in mid table 😔

• Like 4

6 minutes ago, WakefieldVillan said:

I thought the problem was we don't beat sides from the top 6 ? 

End of day we are where we are because we haven't won enough games whether that be teams against the top, middle or bottom.

Nyland I think had one save to make, which is a positive that we are not conceding 20+ chances per game like we had been doing.

The problem with the defensive improvements seems to be detrimental to our attacking play. Today we were totally nullified by the Wolves defensive unit.

If we had took a point today (not behind all realms have possibility based on possession/chances) I think this thread would be a lot more positive. 

We did not deserve to lose but our goal threat since the restart has been abysmal.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, AntrimBlack said:

I am surprised no one has mentioned Nyland's hilarious `throw'. Comedy gold.

And of course very lucky not to concede. Jota obviously was as surprised as the rest of us.

What's the point in bringing in Reina and sticking him on the bench.  Just another error and the ever growing list for Smith.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, dubbs said:

What's the point in bringing in Reina and sticking him on the bench.  Just another error and the ever growing list for Smith.

To be fair he did play him when he first came but he’s absolutely crap to the point that he was genuinely worse than Nyland.

Another one for the list of dreadful signings made this season. 

• Like 1

Â