• El Ghazi (Davis, 82)
    • McGinn (Hourihane, 60)
    • Trezeguet (Nakamba, 82)
    • Taylor (Targett, 11)
    • Elmohamady (Konsa, 60)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 03/07/20 at 22:59

4 hours ago, TRO said:

Let me make one point very clear.

it is the managers job to get a response from the players.

one of the fundamental things a football manager has to do, is to get a response from his players. As an example....Neil warnock is a past master at it.

You can be the best technical manager around, but if the players don't do what you ask, you are toast.....its part of the motivation and leadership qualities.

Let me make one thing very clear.....really!

You can blame the manager all you like but he can only do so much...certain players just aren’t good enough at this level...

Warnock is good at a certain level but then can’t push on...look at Cardiff last season

Smith is still learning...who knows he may be another Warnock but may develop into another Sean Dyche...

If we sack the manager who is going to come in and turn us around?

UTV

💜💙

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Vincenzo said:

Let me make one thing very clear.....really!

You can blame the manager all you like but he can only do so much...certain players just aren’t good enough at this level...

Warnock is good at a certain level but then can’t push on...look at Cardiff last season

Smith is still learning...who knows he may be another Warnock but may develop into another Sean Dyche...

If we sack the manager who is going to come in and turn us around?

UTV

💜💙

I didn't blame the manager, that covers a multitude of sins...but if you think i am going to see my team lose as much as i do and not mention the manager you are wrong....its his responsibility and he should have the authority to address the issues.....if you are saying the players are duff, he was instrumental in signing them

I said its his job to motivate the players.....every manager is still learning.

I didn't say Warnock is a great manager.....what I said was, he gets a reaction, he is a motivator, not so good at many things, but what i did mention, he is good at.

You cannot keep losing and say " but who can we get to come in" and turn us around....thats the clubs job, to find someone.

Edited by TRO
  • Like 3

On 27/06/2020 at 15:54, tom_avfc said:

Yes he was absolutely dreadful. Looked completely past it. I don’t think Nyland is very good but I don’t doubt for one minute that Reina is worse.

If Steer was fit or if he threw Sarkic in for a game I’d understand that but dropping Nyland for Reina would not be a good decision for me. 

Steer and Sarkic both aren't anywhere near good enough either. I suppose the case you could make for Reina is he has performed at this level before and once was a world class goalkeeper, albeit a few years ago now. He did make a couple of errors back in February but Nyland looks more of a car crash to me.

Just a **** take Heaton got injured, then we wouldn't have this problem.

• Like 1

On 27/06/2020 at 20:05, TRO said:

I think your last line, is unfair, no one thinks that.

we knew going up that most teams were better than us.....We also knew that, when we entered the European cup in '82......but we defied it, through work rate, application and self belief.....our players were not necessarily better than theirs, individually, but collectively, we were a team that ground stuff out, we negated opposing teams threats......that comes from the training ground and coaching direction....it comes from organisation and method.

It is clear, we have come up short and the writing has been on the wall for some time....the tell tale signs have been there.

folk can grapple with the reasons why....but in my experience, it comes back to the manager....directly or indirectly, he has to take the responsibility.....if he has issues above he needs the balls to challenge them.

Exactly, our 1982 European Cup team was before my time but we did not have a team of superstars. All down to the efforts of the players and the great man management from Ron Saunders.

You could say the same about the Leicester team 15/16 that won the league - were they the best team in the league that season on paper? Of course they weren't, nowhere near. I'd even argue that apart from Mahrez, Vardy, Kante and Schmeichel, the majority of the rest of the team was Championship standard. But they played as a team, knew their jobs, and worked tremendously hard to get over the line. And when Ranieri had them perilously close to the relegation zone in his 2nd season, did the sit back and say "oh, we've lost Kante, we overachieved last season anyway, he has to stay". No, they were ruthless and sacked him - and taking Leicester to the league title with odds of 5,000-1 at the start of the season is a far greater achievement than Smith taking us up by scraping through the playoffs with arguably the best players on paper in the league. 

We don't expect top 6, or even top 10 - we just expect a lot more from this group of players and to see them fighting to keep this club in the league. They are not doing that and yet the manager contnues to be defended. 

• Like 2

2 hours ago, VillaFaninLondon said:

Exactly, our 1982 European Cup team was before my time but we did not have a team of superstars. All down to the efforts of the players and the great man management from Ron Saunders.

You could say the same about the Leicester team 15/16 that won the league - were they the best team in the league that season on paper? Of course they weren't, nowhere near. I'd even argue that apart from Mahrez, Vardy, Kante and Schmeichel, the majority of the rest of the team was Championship standard. But they played as a team, knew their jobs, and worked tremendously hard to get over the line. And when Ranieri had them perilously close to the relegation zone in his 2nd season, did the sit back and say "oh, we've lost Kante, we overachieved last season anyway, he has to stay". No, they were ruthless and sacked him - and taking Leicester to the league title with odds of 5,000-1 at the start of the season is a far greater achievement than Smith taking us up by scraping through the playoffs with arguably the best players on paper in the league. 

We don't expect top 6, or even top 10 - we just expect a lot more from this group of players and to see them fighting to keep this club in the league. They are not doing that and yet the manager contnues to be defended. 

I really don't see, why folk can't see the merits of posts like this.....spot on.

It took Ron Saunders some time to get to the dizzy heights.....but you could detect the gradual improvement almost game to game.

• Thanks 2

Â