Match Thread: Villa v Chelsea

limpid

1 minute ago, Spoony said:

I don’t particularly blame smith. It’s a shite squad from top to bottom. 

Nah, it’s not a brilliant squad but it’s not bad, if you believe the press we have half of Man Utd’s midfield. This is all on Smith, he doesn’t have a game plan, Has no tactics either drawing, trailing or winning, his formations never work, and his teams have no fight or drive. 

Why not Vassilev, or someone else who hasn't already wasted several opportunities to perform from the bench.  Nakamba was the sub to make when we were winning, not when we're behind.  Bizarre

• Like 1

We have such a timidity that most other sides in the league don't. As much as Burnley, Newcastle and the like get stick for just sitting back, don't literally let teams freely attack them. We're 1-0 up and just standing off would-be 50-50s, not closing heavy touches etc, basically just hoping the opposition don't make something happen rather than doing what we can to prevent it being easy for them.

I'm not too despondent about our position because I was expecting it and more than happy with the idea of finishing 17th, but it's the manner of it that kills me. I like Smith but as much as he has a sub-par squad to work with I struggle to see what kind of identity we have and those are usually the teams you see get relegated.