Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

15 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

From what I've read, it seems to just be that elite athletes are more likely to be younger siblings as opposed to older siblings. In which case, I don't think you can use that to claim that Aaron should be better than Jacob. 

Imagine if 2 people entered different lotteries. A has a 2 percent chance of winning 200 dollars and nothing else. J has a 1 percent chance of winning 100 dollars and nothing else. Person A has a higher likelihood of winning more money than person J. But given that person J won his lottery, it wouldn't be correct to say that Person A is expected to win more money than person J actually won in his. In fact, he still isn't expected to win any money at all. 

Of course unlike Person A and Person J, the fact that Jacob has succeeded to reach such a high level is going to make it more likely that Aaron will too. However, there's a difference between making it more likely and making it expected. Even if person A's probability of winning increased all the way up to 20 percent as a result of person J's success, its still not correct to say that he is expected to win more than Person J. This is my view of the situation.

There are other studies that looked at relative performance beyond just did they make it or not. More often, the younger sibling reached a higher level,  or was considered to be better. 

I said "should" in my first post, so probably oversold it. But I've been reiterating since then that it is a more likely scenario, rather than being guaranteed, or even very likely. 

Jacob and Aaron being exceptional footballers of whatever level, aren't independent events, like your lottery scenario.

It is more likely that he'll be better than Jacob, than it is that he'll be worse. If you find a study that contradicts this let me know.

If we look at them in more detail, about their relative youth performances, and their path to where they are, then of course that would provide more info and give a clearer picture of what is more likely. But without looking at any of that,  I just stated what was more likely to be the case.

• Like 1

I thought what he did different from JJ was he did a lot of good work with his back to goal, he had a while to go yet but I liked how he tried to turn the ball round the corner, play a good forward pass to his feet and he can take that touch and then turn it, that's not an easy skill*, at the same time he has a bit of JJ about him but 20 yards further up the pitch, combine the two... Oooof

*did say I thought he did try a bit too much 1 touch, when it works it looks great but its such a wavelength thing that when it doesn't it can look sloppy no matter how clever it is, he had a couple that did and a couple that didn't 

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, MrBlack said:

It is more likely that he'll be better than Jacob, than it is that he'll be worse. If you find a study that contradicts this let me know.

I guess it depends if we think Aaron has already made it as a professional/elite athlete. As you say there are studies suggesting the younger sibling will be better but the % chance that TWO siblings make it as top-level athletes is still lower than the % chance only ONE of them makes it. But then yes if they both make it then your point here is accurate.

Regardless of all this I had never seen these studies until you mentioned them so thanks for teaching me something new! Who knew that could happen on the internet?!

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, Adam2003 said:

I guess it depends if we think Aaron has already made it as a professional/elite athlete. As you say there are studies suggesting the younger sibling will be better but the % chance that TWO siblings make it as top-level athletes is still lower than the % chance only ONE of them makes it. But then yes if they both make it then your point here is accurate.

Regardless of all this I had never seen these studies until you mentioned them so thanks for teaching me something new! Who knew that could happen on the internet?!

Good point. And then throw in the younger brother and all 3 of them making it looks pretty much 1 of a kind. 

Future looking bright for all of them, and Villa which is the main thing!

I like the look of Both Aaron and JJ.....but both have work to do, at different stages of development.

Cole, I know nothing about, but hope he does well too.

JJ developed hugely in the last year, particularly his physicality. Having watched Aaron a number of times, I'd suggest he will need to do similar and then we will know whether he has a chance. By all accounts his attitude and mentality are good, he's also got a great role model in his brother. 

My one worry for Aaron is that as the club's progresses (hopefully) he will need to make his breakthrough into a much stronger team. He typically plays further forwards as well which is where clubs tend to spend their money. 

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

JJ developed hugely in the last year, particularly his physicality. Having watched Aaron a number of times, I'd suggest he will need to do similar and then we will know whether he has a chance. By all accounts his attitude and mentality are good, he's also got a great role model in his brother. 

My one worry for Aaron is that as the club's progresses (hopefully) he will need to make his breakthrough into a much stronger team. He typically plays further forwards as well which is where clubs tend to spend their money. 

We could potentially see a midfield diamond in the future of academy products

-----------------Tim---------------
J.Ramsey------------Carney
------------A.Ramsey----------

16 minutes ago, duke313 said:

We could potentially see a midfield diamond in the future of academy products

-----------------Tim---------------
J.Ramsey------------Carney
------------A.Ramsey----------

Where does Cole play??

27 minutes ago, cheltenham_villa said:

My limited knowledge aside......from bits that I glean, I think the Ramsey family are good stock......These boys have a wonderful chance of doing really well.

3 minutes ago, TRO said:

My limited knowledge aside......from bits that I glean, I think the Ramsey family are good stock......These boys have a wonderful chance of doing really well.

🤞

Wouldn't it be great to see three local brothers playing together for Villa and England and smashing it.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, cheltenham_villa said:

The good news is......playing with a better class of player, rubs off, its kinda contagious.......better players, make better players.

Your surroundings as a player development is crucial and bars get set, and the competition with each other, becomes intense......its a great breeding ground for betterment.

We as fans have every reason to be hugely encouraged.....No one can predict guarantee's....but from my experience, (as a discerning fan)I would say, we have a great chance of a few gems making it.

Edited by TRO

Cole wears the No.10 for the U14s, so presumably he's an attacker of some sort similar to his brothers, I've no idea how highly rated he is, but he was part of a team that went thirty plus games unbeaten last season and won the Albert Phelan Cup South, basically one the best teams in their age group in the country, so probably a good sign that he's a regular in that group.

Turns fifteen towards the end of the year, so will probably be playing for the U15s and possibly U16s next season.

• Like 1

For someone like Aaron seeing Jacob and chuk and timmy must be brilliant 

I think he gets another loan next season and then hopefully the year after he's got the same role as chuk on the bench most weeks 10 appearances in the PL

We go from Coutinho to this kid... The ages might work if the talent does 

I'd look to Loan Aaron to League 1 again, then up to Championship in January if he is doing well. Same way Conor Gallagher was moved to Swansea from Charlton mid way through his first loan

Â