Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

• 1 month later...

In a footballing sense, he looked a lot like his older brother in the England game tonight.

Eye for goal, always looking to move the ball forward, and a real calm head.

Crazy to think how good he can be, given he should be better than Jacob when he is fully developed, according to accepted science.

Edited by MrBlack
  • Like 1

4 hours ago, KMitch said:

Unlucky to not get on the scoresheet.  Had an open goal shot saved off the line by a crazy last ditch effort by a defender stretched running at full speed.  

It was his good pressing that set that chance up too

10 hours ago, MrBlack said:

Crazy to think how good he can be, given he should be better than Jacob when he is fully developed, according to accepted science.

It often doesn't work out like that though. Just because the younger brother appears to have more talent doesn't mean he will make it. Plenty of examples of that being the case. 

3 minutes ago, a m ole said:

Love that we had so many players in the side - I was even confused because the short high shouldered right wing back with the braids and long name on his back wasn’t Philogene Bidace.

Ramsey, Carney, Tim. Any more?

5 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Ramsey, Carney, Tim. Any more?

No, but 3 is a lot considering the state of football these days, we have a number on the fringes and in the U21s, and younger lads who will be joining soon.

• Like 1

19 minutes ago, villa89 said:

It often doesn't work out like that though. Just because the younger brother appears to have more talent doesn't mean he will make it. Plenty of examples of that being the case. 

Often maybe it doesn't, but definitely more often it does.

A lot of cases you won't hear about are where the older sibling didn't even make it into to the world of professional football.  Guess you could argue the effect once you're at the top level becomes less relevant, but it's there.  Marginal gains,  etc, should give Aaron the benefit over his bro.  You are right that he may well not be better than Jacob, but statistically speaking he should be. 

6 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

Often maybe it doesn't, but definitely more often it does.

A lot of cases you won't hear about are where the older sibling didn't even make it into to the world of professional football.  Guess you could argue the effect once you're at the top level becomes less relevant, but it's there.  Marginal gains,  etc, should give Aaron the benefit over his bro.  You are right that he may well not be better than Jacob, but statistically speaking he should be. 

I'm sure there are just as many examples you don't hear of the younger brother not making it to professional football either?

10 minutes ago, duke313 said:

I'm sure there are just as many examples you don't hear of the younger brother not making it to professional football either?

Sure. But scientific studies have shown its more often than not the other way round.  Jeez, I'm not saying he will definitely be better. Just accept we have a fantastic talent in Jacob already, and chances are another one coming through that will likely be as good, and quite possibly better.

1 hour ago, MrBlack said:

Sure. But scientific studies have shown its more often than not the other way round.  Jeez, I'm not saying he will definitely be better. Just accept we have a fantastic talent in Jacob already, and chances are another one coming through that will likely be as good, and quite possibly better.

I'm curious of these scientific studies and what exactly are they saying because I'm a bit confused with the point you're making. 

• Like 1

Forget science  lets talk about how obvious it is. A younger brother will most likely  have to be more compeitive to play with an older brother. Which means he in many cases becomes better quicker. 

• Thanks 1

21 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Forget science  lets talk about how obvious it is. A younger brother will most likely  have to be more compeitive to play with an older brother. Which means he in many cases becomes better quicker. 

The studies offered that as one of the possible reasons why they were found to be better more often than not. 

There are many other factors as well, and nearly all point to a benefit that a younger sibling has. Obviously, the ratio of genes you get from your folks probably also has a significant say, so it isn't 100% consistent. 

Not sure why there is so much resistance to this point.  All a bit weird.

46 minutes ago, MrBlack said:

The studies offered that as one of the possible reasons why they were found to be better more often than not. 

There are many other factors as well, and nearly all point to a benefit that a younger sibling has. Obviously, the ratio of genes you get from your folks probably also has a significant say, so it isn't 100% consistent. 

Not sure why there is so much resistance to this point.  All a bit weird.

I’m just seeing this now so I’m not part of any ‘resistance’, I’ve just never heard of this science or these studies before. What’s the actual claim - that younger siblings will usually be better at sport than older siblings?

Edit - just researching it now after typing, seems to be from this book by Tim Wigmore. Will check it out.

Edited by Adam2003

29 minutes ago, Adam2003 said:

I’m just seeing this now so I’m not part of any ‘resistance’, I’ve just never heard of this science or these studies before. What’s the actual claim - that younger siblings will usually be better at sport than older siblings?

Edit - just researching it now after typing, seems to be from this book by Tim Wigmore. Will check it out.

From what I've read, it seems to just be that elite athletes are more likely to be younger siblings as opposed to older siblings. In which case, I don't think you can use that to claim that Aaron should be better than Jacob. 

Imagine if 2 people entered different lotteries. A has a 2 percent chance of winning 200 dollars and nothing else. J has a 1 percent chance of winning 100 dollars and nothing else. Person A has a higher likelihood of winning more money than person J. But given that person J won his lottery, it wouldn't be correct to say that Person A is expected to win more money than person J actually won in his. In fact, he still isn't expected to win any money at all. 

Of course unlike Person A and Person J, the fact that Jacob has succeeded to reach such a high level is going to make it more likely that Aaron will too. However, there's a difference between making it more likely and making it expected. Even if person A's probability of winning increased all the way up to 20 percent as a result of person J's success, its still not correct to say that he is expected to win more than Person J. This is my view of the situation.

Edited by Laughable Chimp
  • Like 1

Â