Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

Not sure I would call it a tough loan spell, it's his first experience of being part of a first team squad and he's been getting regular game time and at a pretty decent level relative to the level most players his age will be playing at, might not have looked like a world beater but doesn't really have to, that he keeps getting picked shows that he must have been doing something right. Of all our loans out, he's probably been one of the more succesful ones.

• Like 2

Great goal on saturday, I was right behind the goal and was willing him to slot it home.

I've been to most Cheltenham home games and have heard a few negative comments about Ramseys involvement but ultimately its his first proper loan spell, hes away from home and League One is very physical and very different from youth footie. He has been anonymous in a good percentage of the games and I feel like when hes been involved he's always trying to setup a one-two or give and go and the other players aren't quite on the same wavelength. Cheltenham tend to go long and direct to Alfie May most of the time and bypass everyone else.

I'd say its been a decent loan and hopefully he can progress further next season.

• Like 3

1 hour ago, Osirus said:

He’s definitely a lot more articulate than JJ, hopefully his playing ability is better as well 

Better than one of the top 5 under-21 midfield talents in the country?

You don't wish for much do you mate :D 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, Steero113 said:

Better than one of the top 5 under-21 midfield talents in the country?

You don't wish for much do you mate :D 

I’m hoping for 2 top quality Ramsey’s, I rate Jacob tbh

• Like 1

8 hours ago, grayslickuk said:

Great goal on saturday, I was right behind the goal and was willing him to slot it home.

I've been to most Cheltenham home games and have heard a few negative comments about Ramseys involvement but ultimately its his first proper loan spell, hes away from home and League One is very physical and very different from youth footie. He has been anonymous in a good percentage of the games and I feel like when hes been involved he's always trying to setup a one-two or give and go and the other players aren't quite on the same wavelength. Cheltenham tend to go long and direct to Alfie May most of the time and bypass everyone else.

I'd say its been a decent loan and hopefully he can progress further next season.

Are you sure you've been to most Cheltenham home games? They certainly don't "go long and direct" to 5ft nothing Alfie may, they try to pass out from the back.

Most Cheltenham fans I know have said a similar thing "are villa paying us to play this kid". I've found it frustrating watching him too to be honest with a lot of his decisions (seems to take ages to make them sometimes) but think if he did another loan spell, he'd improve a lot. Have seen maybe 7 or 8 of the games he's played... so maybe I've missed the good ones lol.

Callum Wright on the other hand is an absolute baller. Wee bit older than Aaron obviously but if Aaron can replicate what he's done at Cheltenham, then happy days.

Seems harsh but he's been hyped up massively so far! He does seem to be fairly down to earth in his interview though, so hopefully he can crack on and be the talent that's clearly in there somewhere.

32 minutes ago, Adam_ said:

Are you sure you've been to most Cheltenham home games? They certainly don't "go long and direct" to 5ft nothing Alfie may, they try to pass out from the back.

Most Cheltenham fans I know have said a similar thing "are villa paying us to play this kid". I've found it frustrating watching him too to be honest with a lot of his decisions (seems to take ages to make them sometimes) but think if he did another loan spell, he'd improve a lot. Have seen maybe 7 or 8 of the games he's played... so maybe I've missed the good ones lol.

Callum Wright on the other hand is an absolute baller. Wee bit older than Aaron obviously but if Aaron can replicate what he's done at Cheltenham, then happy days.

Seems harsh but he's been hyped up massively so far! He does seem to be fairly down to earth in his interview though, so hopefully he can crack on and be the talent that's clearly in there somewhere.

Aarons a strange one. He isnt box to box like his brother is . He is attacking midfield. But without real skill . He can finisb for sure but whenever i watched him last season he was good without being sensational but would always be a goal threat.  Not writing him off at all as he is 19 not 22 , but he will need to start developing pretty quickly again if he is going to have the same career as his older brother. 

36 minutes ago, MWARLEY2 said:

Aarons a strange one. He isnt box to box like his brother is . He is attacking midfield. But without real skill . He can finisb for sure but whenever i watched him last season he was good without being sensational but would always be a goal threat.  Not writing him off at all as he is 19 not 22 , but he will need to start developing pretty quickly again if he is going to have the same career as his older brother. 

Did all those murmurings that he was better than JJ just come from the goals he was scoring? I did think at the time, he must be bloody impressive if he's better than Jacob.

I strongly disagree with Ramsey having no skill, in fact he's possibly the most technically gifted of all our youngsters and probably more so than his older brother, some of the things he can do on the ball are genuinely unreal, and second half of last season I thought he was our standout U23 player alongside Chukwuemeka. I imagine the biggest issue with him is the physical side of the game at first team level, but once he adapts to that I'm sure he will be fine.

I don't know how well or not so well he's doing at Cheltenham, their manager has alluded to him struggling at times, but has also said he'd take him back next season in a hearbeat, so seems a mixed bag and them realising his potential, but might be a case of us needing to find a club better suited to his game.

When I hear talk of Chukwuemeka not signing a new deal and looking to leave, the one consolation I have is that I think Ramsey who plays a similar position is on a similar level, his goal scoring record is actually far superior to Chukwuemeka's, but I'm also talking about his all round game, obvisously Chukwuemeka has broken into the first team first, but again I think that's probably a size thing as much as anything.

• Like 4

28 minutes ago, useless said:

I strongly disagree with Ramsey having no skill, in fact he's possibly the most technically gifted of all our youngsters and probably more so than his older brother, some of the things he can do on the ball are genuinely unreal, and second half of last season I thought he was our standout U23 player alongside Chukwuemeka. I imagine the biggest issue with him is the physical side of the game at first team level, but once he adapts to that I'm sure he will be fine.

I don't know how well or not so well he's doing at Cheltenham, their manager has alluded to him struggling at times, but has also said he'd take him back next season in a hearbeat, so seems a mixed bag and them realising his potential, but might be a case of us needing to find a club better suited to his game.

When I hear talk of Chukwuemeka not signing a new deal and looking to leave, the one consolation I have is that I think Ramsey who plays a similar position is on a similar level, his goal scoring record is actually far superior to Chukwuemeka's, but I'm also talking about his all round game, obvisously Chukwuemeka has broken into the first team first, but again I think that's probably a size thing as much as anything.

Tbf Duff also said that his performances have generally been excellent, or words to that effect.

I don't think we need to worry too much about whether he's been a world beater or not, it's pretty much his first taste of first team football, and his first time away from Villa, as long as he's getting game time and not looking completely out of place which Duff has confirmed that he isn't, then that's the main thing.

• Like 1

53 minutes ago, useless said:

I don't think we need to worry too much about whether he's been a world beater or not, it's pretty much his first taste of first team football, and his first time away from Villa, as long as he's getting game time and not looking completely out of place which Duff has confirmed that he isn't, then that's the main thing.

I guess thats the magic of football. We all see different things in different players. I hope i am proved wrong . 

• Thanks 1

Whether or not he can translate it to first team football is a diferent matter, some players at youth level can look like world beaters, but don't make the step, wheras others that don't look so good at youth level go on to have good careers. We will see.

• Like 1

Was at Cambridge today, played OK when he came off the bench. Couple of nice through balls but didn't set world alight. That said, Cheltenham weren't the best in general today and if I'm being honest, robbed a draw at the end haha.

Wouldn't be surprised if he does a full season at chelt next season, duff has hinted that.

Â