Aaron Ramsey

sir_gary_cahill

2 hours ago, turvontour said:

Hes starting games in league one which is good, it's a decent level.

I agree, I think that's his level currently. The experience he will get from doing that every week, building his physicality and dealing with the real pressure of trying to deliver results is a really good one.

I think we all hoped he would be smashing in goals and assists. That's not happening but it also doesn't mean he's failing.

• 4 weeks later...
27 minutes ago, turvontour said:

How does it work for the championship or league 1 teams these lads are at when they're on international duty. Are they just a player down for league games or do they have their fixture postponed?

If FM taught me anything... There's a set number of players that has to be missing by the two teams and then they can mutually agree to postpone the game 

If he's the only player missing then it won't happen but if its something like 6 players missing then there is an option 

• Like 1

10 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

Must be doing something right, called up to England U19s

Villa with half 3/8 midfielders. 

The futures bright, the futures claret…

and blue 

Anybody who watches youth football know how Chukie (obviously we have seen glimpses of him for the first team and he seems to be the most advanced but didn't know if that was just a size/physicality thing?), Aaron Ramsey, Tommy O'Reilly and Fin Azaz compare.  And are they all 10's or are they capable of playing at "8" as well?  Which ones do you think will find there way at Villa and which ones will eventually move on?

• 3 weeks later...

Anyone know how he's getting on in Cheltenhams eyes?

They lost 3-0 today, all the goals coming in the first half, AJ was booked too and then hooked at half time. Was he merely a casualty of needing a change? Sky had their system down as 442 Diamond, him at the head, so might just be a casualty of a new system proven to be a disaster..but could also be a genuinely bad performance from him

5 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

They lost 3-0 today, all the goals coming in the first half, AJ was booked too and then hooked at half time. Was he merely a casualty of needing a change? Sky had their system down as 442 Diamond, him at the head, so might just be a casualty of a new system proven to be a disaster..but could also be a genuinely bad performance from him

I can only speak in terms of stats for him, but the stats look terrible both for this game and across the season so far. Has only started 2 of the last 4 games for Cheltenham and both times got hooked off at half time.

Might need to drop down a level and do something similar to Barry.

Edited by Laughable Chimp

Just the last 10 mentions of his name that pertains to his quality and performances on the robins nest forum.

Yes, I wasn’t wanting to criticise Ramsey and your point about Wright’s age is a good one.

Ramsey has shown some very good desire, skill and movement in some games and made an impact off the bench with positive forward play.

Most notably against Wimbledon where he came on and looked to get forward, with his run and shot rebounding for Wright to score. He was also part of the move for the second goal.

Duff has given him a decent amount of time and there must be a reason why.
  •  

I'm not saying we are a kick and lump it team by any means, I'm just saying that he is probably used to a different style of play coming from an Academy and is struggling to adapt to the extra hustle and bustle of League 1. Some adjust quickly and some like Ramsey don't.

I'm personally not a fan and wouldn't be playing him as he hasnt done enough to warrant a place in my view, but as i said earlier its the gamble you make taking these Prem youngsters on loan and if we dont play them then the reputation for developing players goes and teams would be less likely to loan us the likes of Greaves, Wright, Etete etc.

Totally agree but Callum has got nearly 3 years more experience than Ramsey who only turned 19 in January. As i said previously just dont think Ramsey is ready for League 1 at the moment.

Funny I find myself defending him here as I have the same frustration as everyone else but just trying to put a case for him!

Wright manages to get the ball in space and play balls to others who get in to dangerous spaces.

Ramsey should have at least made the keeper work on Friday to finish that good team move but took too many touches and let a defender block.

How is Ramsey a Villa prospect. It's been said before bit he offers nothing (cue a goal from him)

Ramsey is genuinely rubbish. May as well play with 10

And that Ramsey took an extra touch for his chance. And that Sercombe didn't just put the free kick into the box in the last minute. We were poor today but still got a draw against a team fighting for survival. A c!#p team fighting for survival, but we have lost games against scrappers at home this season.
Starters:
Evans; Long, Pollock, Boyle; Blair, Bonds, Wright, Sercombe, Hutchinson; Etete, May

Subs:
Flinders, Raglan, Freestone, Chapman, Lloyd, Brown, Ramsey

That must be close to our best bench of the season.

I agree with the last paragraph 100% RCS and I dont know if Horlick has a grudge or not but either way it should not stop legitimate questions being asked when things dont go as hoped. Thats one of the things a fans forum is for after all!

And I think a couple of points made are good questions i.e. the not playing of Matty Pollock who has been one of our best performers this season and the playing of the Bonds, Wright and Ramsey midfield again which performed so dismally against Crewe.

Of course we only make our judgements on matchday performances and dont get to see training or know who is carrying niggles but those two decisions do seem strange to me.

Notwithstanding this has been a fantastic season and lets hope we can finish in style and set those records, it is what they deserve for the hard work.

No idea what Ramsey offers, there must be something there but he's been so so poor for us.

Are we ever going to stop the trend of conceding goals in quick succession? Seems to happen every week.

Some of these posts are from the same set of posters mind you.

41 minutes ago, Laughable Chimp said:

Some of these posts are from the same set of posters mind you.

The positives I take from reading those, are that ALL football fans and forums seem to be the same.

We always know better than the Managers, and the whole midfield is shite. 

• Haha 1

Most of those comments if not all of them came during the game at the weekend when they were 3-0 down at half-time and Ramsey was brought off at half-time, sounds like it might have been a difficult game for him, so of course there are going to be negative comments in that scenario.

Not saying it's all down to him, but their form improved when he came into the team, previous to that they'd only won two of their last nine and were being talked about as possible relegation candidates, and then their form dipped again recently when they dropped him back to the bench, of their four defeats since he joined, he didn't play in two of them, and another he only played 28 minutes, basically they seem to do better when he's in the team.

I think we can call it a succesful loan just going by the fact that he's getting regular game time, must be doing something right to be getting picked as often as he is, also have to remember that he's a nineteen year old having his first run of games at first team level, and playing for a side with nothing to play for so they might not be at their best as a team, not the end of the world that he might not be looking like a world beater, first loan is more about getting used to first team football.

He's on a good trajectory, been a standout for our academy teams, has been a regular for England youth teams, sometimes captaining them, has been involved a couple of age groups up with the U21s, now getting regular game time in his first loan. I think next season we will look to get him a loan to the championship, or if not a loan to one of the better League One clubs with potential to then review the situation and look to move him up a level in January.

28 minutes ago, useless said:

Most of those comments if not all of them came during the game at the weekend when they were 3-0 down at half-time and Ramsey was brought off at half-time, sounds like it might have been a difficult game for him, so of course there are going to be negative comments in that scenario.

Not saying it's all down to him, but their form improved when he came into the team, previous to that they'd only won two of their last nine and were being talked about as possible relegation candidates, and then their form dipped again recently when they dropped him back to the bench, of their four defeats since he joined, he didn't play in two of them, and another he only played 28 minutes, basically they seem to do better when he's in the team.

I think we can call it a succesful loan just going by the fact that he's getting regular game time, must be doing something right to be getting picked as often as he is, also have to remember that he's a nineteen year old having his first run of games at first team level, and playing for a side with nothing to play for so they might not be at their best as a team, not the end of the world that he might not be looking like a world beater, first loan is more about getting used to first team football.

He's on a good trajectory, been a standout for our academy teams, has been a regular for England youth teams, sometimes captaining them, has been involved a couple of age groups up with the U21s, now getting regular game time in his first loan. I think next season we will look to get him a loan to the championship, or if not a loan to one of the better League One clubs with potential to then review the situation and look to move him up a level in January.

They were 14th prior to him joining. They are now 13th. 

Before he made his debut for them they hadn't won in seven games, were just seven points above the relegation places and there were worries that they were going to get dragged into the relegation battle. They're now sixteen points above the relegation zone.

From the Sunderland game onwards that they started starting him in games, they won three and drew two of seven games while that lasted, since they dropped him to the bench again, and their form has dipped.

5 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

The positives I take from reading those, are that ALL football fans and forums seem to be the same.

We always know better than the Managers, and the whole midfield is shite. 

I often read other forums and can confirm this to be 100% true. Common opinions regardless of club are that the goalkeeper shouldn't be blamed while the midfield is shite.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, VillaParkAvenue said:

I often read other forums and can confirm this to be 100% true. Common opinions regardless of club are that the goalkeeper shouldn't be blamed while the midfield is shite.

The lingo and all is  bizarrely similar 😂

On 18/03/2022 at 20:13, turvontour said:

How does it work for the championship or league 1 teams these lads are at when they're on international duty. Are they just a player down for league games or do they have their fixture postponed?

Cheltenham played their fixtures when Ramsey was involved with the England juniors. Not sure if it would be different if he was a senior player.

13 hours ago, HalfTimePost said:

In the games I've watched, hes struggled to make an impact. They tend to be a hard working midfield so Ramsey is competing for one of the flair slots with Calum Wright who is probably up for player of the year. He's probably learnt the need to take his chances, he's had them and has struggled to make them count. I think it's been a good loan, he's had a lot of minutes and will have learnt how much harder league 1 is over the under 23s.

Â