• El Ghazi
    • Trezeguet (for El Ghazi, 69)
    • Samatta (for Davis, 69)
    • Elmohamady (for Konsa, 76)
    • Nakamba (for McGinn, 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/06/20 at 22:59

6 hours ago, Hev said:

Talk Sport full of people calling in (mostly Sheff u or West Ham, Watford and other fans with a vested interest) ranting and saying the game should be replayed. Cant sleep and just heard a Presenter (Paul Ross i think) saying that it is a disgrace if Villa stay up by one point or Sheff U miss out on CL by one or two points. No mention of all the decisions that have gone against us. 

Be more than happy to replay that game. A point is not enough and we need fitness. Get it sorted.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, Ponky said:

United had a perfectly valid goal denied. There's no doubt about it. 

But last I checked a football match doesn't end in the 41st minute. Saying Sheffield United have been denied 3 points is having a laugh. The entire complexion of a game can change after a goal, especially with more than a half to play. 

It did they forget what happened the last time we played that lot and they were 3-0 up? 

We got cheated against Palace.

Mistakes happens. Get the f*** over it.

• Like 4

7 hours ago, Hev said:

Talk Sport full of people calling in (mostly Sheff u or West Ham, Watford and other fans with a vested interest) ranting and saying the game should be replayed. Cant sleep and just heard a Presenter (Paul Ross i think) saying that it is a disgrace if Villa stay up by one point or Sheff U miss out on CL by one or two points. No mention of all the decisions that have gone against us. 

even with VAR, there have been penalties that shouldn't have been. red cards that shouldn't have been. it was a refereeing error...the technology failed, so VAR should have stepped in, or the lino should have signaled to the ref to review on the monitors. if games were replayed every time there was a refereeing error a season would take years to complete

• Like 2

9 minutes ago, TRO said:

Danny mills claiming villa should give them a goal like leeds did to us......

2 different scenarios for me.

It was the ref's fault not ours. 

Would have been a nice gesture of us to give them the goal though, but glad we didn't do it.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, TRO said:

Exactly. Leeds blatantly cheated that day. We did nothing yesterday.

Leeds cheated. Nyland instinctively reacts to stop the ball crossing the line. They aren't the same. Maybe if Nyland caught it and then threw it against Davis and then tried to claim it didn't cross the line they'd have a case.

Tinpot club trying to take the moral high ground is hilarious.

Did they all forget how Bamford cheated to get El Ghazi sent off?

• Like 1

3 hours ago, TRO said:

indeed   , Leeds scored when all of our players had stopped as they gave every indication they were putting the ball out

Did any of our players  other than Nyland perhaps , even know it had gone in ? and even he was moving about so quickly in panic from his mistake he may have thought he just about kept it out  ...   Grealish is on record as telling Sharp , "no way it crossed the line "   .. Sky couldn't get any confirmation from hawk eye and I don't think it was really cleared up as a goal until after full time ?

it is what it is ... amusing if we relegate West Ham by 1 point of course  , but then we are owed that point for the Palace game so all is balanced in the universe

Edited by tonyh29
  • Like 2

We broke after that and El-Ghazi crossed and it came to nothing ( thanks to a defender  deflection /possible hand ball )

Had we scored though , how far back would VAR have gone  ? Would it have chalked our goal off and awarded them one even though it wasn't actually being reviewed ?

• Like 1

4 hours ago, TRO said:

I agree.

Goal line decisions are black and white. If it's over the line the watch bleeps and ref gives the goal as has been the case for pretty much last 10 years after that England non goal v Germany (don't recall people saying Germany should've just let England score back then).

Not sure how most of our team and coaching stuff would know at the time it was all over given they were on halfway line and in different areas of penalty area. If the ref watching didn't go off then I'd assume most on the pitch would assume it didn't fully go over.

That said saw a bit more of it this morning and it's incredible Nyland didn't quick throw the ball out, he's practically lying in the net with the ball still in his hands for 5 seconds! The ref should've quickly jogged over and given the goal or linesperson gets in position on goal line.

Don't really see how our players can be criticised when they'd have relied on the ref's watch in good faith.

I'm a little torn over the game.

Sheff Utd are 6th in the league and we are 19th.  We had 7 shots on target they had none.

Davis might have done better with the headed chance.

Mcginn might have done better with his headed chance.

Hourihane ought to have done better with his close range chance.

Mcginn might have done better with his shot from distance.

Davis ought to have done better with his close range chance.

El Ghazi should have had a penalty.

On another day, thats 7 goals.

Sheff Utd should have had a Nyland o.g.

And... Er... I don't recall another chance where i felt they would score.

But there were still so many individial errors: Nyland, Hause, Mings, Konsa, Nakamba, AEG, all had brain farts in dangerous areas, and all unforced.

I'd have taken a point beforehand, so, i am happy, but on balance i think we dropped 2 pts there

• Like 3

If they are gonna allow that goal then it's only fair to go back to all the wrongly disallowed goals this season.

Which means we would get a point against Palace and thereby have the same poin tally ;)

Edited by villalad21

Anyone else think that the 'goal' not standing had some impact in nothing from VAR for the Mings shirt pull?

I personally don't think he was anywhere near the ball BUT we have seen penalties given for less this season. 

Those two instances sort of equal themselves out

A win would have been a great result. A draw is a good result. A loss would have been a disaster.

Still lack a cutting edge which isnt really a surprise as they are rusty, and Grealish was a little innefective: we really need him to save us. Great to see McGinn back. Thought Trez was a waste of space though, wont be sad to see him go.

A game we didnt deserve to lose and happily we didnt because of that glaring error. I guess that evens out the Palace game howler but shows what a complete car-crash officiating has become nowadays. 

I feel as though we could still scrape the great escape, but we stand less of a chance today having not achieved a win at home to level everyone on 29 games played. I guess we wait to see how terrible any of the other bottom 5 are after the break, we don t seem capable of saving ourselves.

Edited by thunderball

1 hour ago, LancsVillan said:

Anyone else think that the 'goal' not standing had some impact in nothing from VAR for the Mings shirt pull?

I personally don't think he was anywhere near the ball BUT we have seen penalties given for less this season. 

Those two instances sort of equal themselves out

Nah, I doubt it tbh.

And as for those 2. One was a goal, the other perhaps a penalty but possibly not.

Edit: just seen replays and highlights, did no watch the game.

Edited by sne

This was always going to be a strange game but I thought we played pretty well and now have the advantage of already playing in these circumstances

It could prove to be advantageous against Chelsea on Sunday. A win is not out of the question if we can play like that again.

Â