• El Ghazi
    • Trezeguet (for El Ghazi, 69)
    • Samatta (for Davis, 69)
    • Elmohamady (for Konsa, 76)
    • Nakamba (for McGinn, 76)
  2. 2. Manager's Performance

3. 3. Refereeing Performance

This poll is closed to new votes

• Please sign in or register to vote in this poll.
  • Poll closed on 20/06/20 at 22:59

And a word about the technology, that was shambles really although I'm of course glad we benefitted from it.

This is exactly why I have been critical of the excessive technology from the start, it reduces the officials to bystanders who now become passive and don't know what to do when the technology apparently is failing. If we now must have this technology, it should be an aid to the officials when making their own decisions, not reduce them to passive muppets who don't have the courage to take own decisions, decisions taken by humans, not computers.

Even more ironic that VAR couldn't overrule Hawk-Eye, is VAR not allowed to do that as Hawk-Eye was said to be 100% accurate? One technology can't overrule the other 😄 and the humans stand there passive accepting a reality they see is clearly wrong but can't do anything about.

1 hour ago, Davkaus said:

Different scenario, a ref calling a dive is nothing like the ref clearly making the wrong call when the technology failed. Our players knew we'd got an unfair advantage there.

Scenerios do not matter though they resulted in same income it effected both teams.

Im certainly not ashamed. Its not our fault the refs made a right cock up. The amount of terrible decisons that have gone against us this season and lityle sympathy towards us. About time we had a mistake in our favour.

In light of the goals against this season.....that result was an improvement.

A clean sheet was the most important feature of this game.

We was never going to sort our season out with this result, but its a move in the right direction...more clean sheets and it becomes a good habit to build on.

its clear we can defend or attack, but not good enough to do both....we need to do both moving forward.

I could write loads on our positives and negatives......but the nil is the most encouraging, for me.

if we keep drawing, we just need 2 wins, to have a real chance.

Nb we still have too many of the same players getting poor ratings.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, Demitri_C said:

Scenerios do not matter though they resulted in same income it effected both teams.

Im certainly not ashamed. Its not our fault the refs made a right cock up. The amount of terrible decisons that have gone against us this season and lityle sympathy towards us. About time we had a mistake in our favour.

The ref didn't male a cockup. The infallible, "objective" technology failed. 

1 hour ago, alreadyexists said:

I thought Davis had a chance and so did Hourihane which were close and could’ve gone in but for good saves. I think there’s a lot to be positive about, and like you say we were the better side. Happy with a point though against a top 6 (currently) side

Davis played well. Maybe lack of fitness showed second half when we could have kicked on and gone for victory. McGinn needs a couple of games 

• Like 1

I was really impressed with our performance today overall. I heard a program the other day talking about how the teams that looked the most cohesive beforehand had the upper hand as they knew each other’s play inside out. I think Sheffield have been one of the most cohesive set of players this season playing far above their players would suggest they could. We on the the hand have been the opposite and with the team changes I was very worried yet overall we looked  the far better unit. 
it was only a shame that our most important players (jack and John) struggled To get into it (although Jack got better in second half).

Toss up between Hourihane and Davis for Man of the match but gave to Hourihane for much improved (not to anonymous) performance.

Edited by stegzy
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, villalad21 said:

Massive improvement.

They only had 6 shots. 2 on target.

We got a real chance if we defend like that.

We wasn't great, but we stopped the cavalier approach and gained a valuable point, against a tough, durable opponent.

I have to give Dean credit for that.

• Like 1

I only started watching at around 25 minutes, but it looked to me like Villa were nearly back up to usual standard and United were not.   Of course, United had a lot further to go to get back to where they were before the break, so that gave us a fighting chance and we were clearly the better team despite being lucky not to lose.  They didn't create a single chance that I saw and we came very close a few times.

I thought Davis was great.   I didn't see the missed header, but everything he did on that second half shot was class:   Great, well-timed run, expertly brought down, fierce shot with a defender all over him.  Henderson was lucky the heel of his hand happened to be right where the ball went.   His fingers would not have kept that ball out.  If the ball goes in, everyone is saying it's a fantastic goal.   In fact, if any top PL striker scored on that play they'd be praised for their skill.   But Davis is denied by a great or lucky save and it's apparently evidence he's a sh*t finisher.

Perhaps it was because I wasn't able to focus completely on the game the whole time, but Luiz did seem anonymous to me for the most part.  Of course, compared to a lot of games of his that can be a good thing.

• Like 3

I thought we did reasonably well, we defended in a pretty organised way, only really allowed them one clear chance from a corner and looked more compact than before the break.

Overall I think a draw was fair, we created the majority of the chances and they scored a perfectly good goal which should have stood. 

Â