Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

21 minutes ago, a-k said:

Surely there has to be a better option or contingency plan than to be postponing matches mere hours before kick-off?

I mean, think of us fantasy players...😁

Agreed! Lost Calvert-Lewin when the Everton game got yanked but thankfully I had Chilwell and Struijk on the bench.

This won't be an easy game to reschedule - there's a good chance that with their involvement in the league cup, FA Cup and Europa league, Spurs will already have 16 games in January/February and there's an international break in March, so we're probably looking at some point in April. 

I really don't see how a two week break will be feasible - a two week break for me is tantamount to accepting that the season won't be completed.

• Like 3

No fans, games being called off and now calls for a break in games (although how they would fit them all in, would be a big question). Are we be at risk of deciding the top 4 and bottom 3, on predicted results?  

It was ridiculous having fans back at all whilst the country is still getting ravaged, not too mention it's completely unfair some clubs get the advantage and others don't due to factors completely outside their control.

Wouldn't be surprised to see a full pause in action for a while. Random games being postponed is going to get very messy very quickly.

• Like 3

It was naive to think fans would be back in any meaningful capacity. The shifting tiers will likely lead to some lockdown soon. The levels are simply too high. If more games get called off, I am curious how they intend to deal with the backlog.

I don't think it's good to postpone games with 3 hour notice. Fulham put the request in, I hope there's some transparancy in the matter.

The FA backed themselves into a corner though by allowing Newcastle to postpone. They've given little care to lower leagues or the women's leagues.

The standard of football in this summers Euro's (if there even is a tournament) will be dreadful. Tons of players will be injured and all of them will be exhausted. Would not blame any of them if they declined and took a month or two off from playing.

I can't understand why they just don't give the players, coaching staff and a pool of officials the vaccine?

I know that they are not front line workers/vulnerable BUT they do provide an invaluable service - having PL football to watch during these lockdowns, particularly during the winter month, will, I would think, be very important for a significant proportion of the population's mental health and will save a number of wives/partners from getting abuse.

Edited by barry'sboots

14 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I can't understand why they just don't give the players, coaching staff and a pool of officials the vaccine?

Disagree entirely. Even the 2 tests a week footballers pisses my off. My partner works in the health industry and can't get one yet without showing symptoms and these lot can get 3 a week. Far more people deserve the vaccination before footballers imo. If it's not safe to play then cancel the league until it is. 

17 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I would think, be very important for a significant proportion of the population's mental health and will save a number of wives/partners from getting abuse.

How? 

49 minutes ago, av1 said:

Disagree entirely. Even the 2 tests a week footballers pisses my off. My partner works in the health industry and can't get one yet without showing symptoms and these lot can get 3 a week. Far more people deserve the vaccination before footballers imo. If it's not safe to play then cancel the league until it is. 

How? 

I have complete sympathy for your partner and so much respect for the job that everybody in the NHS is performing at the minute and my comments were not intended to diminish this BUT I do think that the PL is a special case - they can certainly afford to pay for their vaccines/resources and would, in the scheme of things, utilise very little.

I think, for a significant proportion of the population - certainly the male half - having the football/PL on at the weekends and most mid weeks provides some kind of normality and a break from the tedium of lockdown.  I think most people are finding the continued lockdowns hard mentally and the next three months are potentially going to be even harder - on top of almost a year of restrictions and with the winter weather making it harder to get outside/exercise and more dreary.  Abuse levels were up significantly in the first lockdown, even with the incredibly kind weather, and I think anything that brings normality/entertains will only help minimise this through the winter months. 

• Like 2

So if they do this circuit breaker I fail to see how they then can finish the season  in time for the Euros. This will leave probably to  a squabble between the big leagues in Europe versus UEFA. The format is mad anyway with multiple cities across the continent which will just spread Covid unless we are all vaccinated by the summer. The only other alternative I could see if move the Euros to summer 2022 and have the world cup in Qatar run at the same time as the leagues in the winter but  I cannot see FIFA allowing that.

If none of that happens then perhaps the FA cup will get suspended for this season and just play the league right up to early June but it will be chaos.

37 minutes ago, barry'sboots said:

I have complete sympathy for your partner and so much respect for the job that everybody in the NHS is performing at the minute and my comments were not intended to diminish this BUT I do think that the PL is a special case - they can certainly afford to pay for their vaccines/resources and would, in the scheme of things, utilise very little.

I think, for a significant proportion of the population - certainly the male half - having the football/PL on at the weekends and most mid weeks provides some kind of normality and a break from the tedium of lockdown.  I think most people are finding the continued lockdowns hard mentally and the next three months are potentially going to be even harder - on top of almost a year of restrictions and with the winter weather making it harder to get outside/exercise and more dreary.  Abuse levels were up significantly in the first lockdown, even with the incredibly kind weather, and I think anything that brings normality/entertains will only help minimise this through the winter months. 

I agree that if I hadn't had Villa to watch my life would have been very glum in recent months.  If the Premier League can be shown to make a considerable effort to help through money, resources and an awareness programme over the importance and safety of the vaccine then it might be worth it, once the NHS staff and most vulnerable are vaccinated.

3 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

This won't be an easy game to reschedule - there's a good chance that with their involvement in the league cup, FA Cup and Europa league, Spurs will already have 16 games in January/February and there's an international break in March, so we're probably looking at some point in April. 

I really don't see how a two week break will be feasible - a two week break for me is tantamount to accepting that the season won't be completed.

Do we think that the FA / Premier League wrote down a variety of contingency plans that the clubs have agreed/voted on? 
I don’t. 

This two week break idea is nonsense. In two weeks time what is going to happen to reduce covid cases amongst premier league players? If anything the more time off they have the more whoring they'll be doing. Also the calendar is jam packed so somthing would have to be cancelled which isn't going to happen. 

2 minutes ago, villa89 said:

This two week break idea is nonsense. In two weeks time what is going to happen to reduce covid cases amongst premier league players? If anything the more time off they have the more whoring they'll be doing. Also the calendar is jam packed so somthing would have to be cancelled which isn't going to happen. 

The only thing in football that was cancelled this past year was the ballon d’or... probably the one thing that could have gone ahead remotely.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, villa89 said:

Agree massively. We’ve all seen the players out not adhering to the guidelines. It’s not going to be better for suspending the season. They need to continue with what they’re doing with testing and break the squads into smaller bubbles for training to prevent these mass shutdowns. Agree to reschedule the current postponed games and any further incidences teams should play whatever professional players are available (u21 u18 etc) or forfeit.

something has to give somewhere. If the Man Utd game is postponed we’ll be 3 games in hand on some. It’s absurd.

The other thing with a two week break is that a two week break in games would mean about four days away from the training ground for players - it's not a long enough break to make a difference and at the same time, even two weeks makes completing the rest of the season almost impossible.

The question isn't really do we have a two week break, it's whether we carry on or not. 

They might consider reducing the Premier League to a single round of games so that everyone has played nineteen - but the loss of the TV income would be a blow and we've already seen just how keen clubs are to avoid losing those TV revenues.

7 hours ago, John said:

No fans, games being called off and now calls for a break in games (although how they would fit them all in, would be a big question). Are we be at risk of deciding the top 4 and bottom 3, on predicted results?  

Didnt they decide before this wont happen, I dont want it to happen but if it did I think we would probably end up 2nd or 3rd on average points

12 hours ago, OutByEaster? said:

The other thing with a two week break is that a two week break in games would mean about four days away from the training ground for players - it's not a long enough break to make a difference and at the same time, even two weeks makes completing the rest of the season almost impossible.

The question isn't really do we have a two week break, it's whether we carry on or not. 

They might consider reducing the Premier League to a single round of games so that everyone has played nineteen - but the loss of the TV income would be a blow and we've already seen just how keen clubs are to avoid losing those TV revenues.

The *other* thing about a two-week break is there's absolutely no reason to think that the situation with covid will be any better in just two weeks' time. We haven't seen the damage caused by Christmas in the figures yet.

Â