Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

And Guardiola lost his mum to Covid. Can you imagine having to look him in the eye after breaching the rules with another party? Transfer fee be damned, I'd want to sack the word removed.

Edited by Davkaus
  • Like 2

1 minute ago, Davkaus said:

And Guardiola lost his mum to Covid. Can you imagine having to look him in the eye after breaching the rules with another party? Transfer fee be damned, I'd want to sack the word removed.

Pretty sure Guardiola isnt a big fan of Mendy as it is

9 minutes ago, maqroll said:

I think it's possible, in two weeks time, that the UK is under total lockdown again and the football season is suspended. 

I wouldn't be surprised at all.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, turvontour said:

What's the situation with the premier league if the footbalk was stopped in the next few weeks due to Covid. Are they still intending to finish the season whatever?

The Premier League insists it will carry on with the protocols in place. I will be very surprised if it does. 

2 hours ago, Genie said:

All these footballers are sorry about is getting caught. They know what they are doing, and the risks but still do it. 

I’m not sure they are arsed about it in the slightest or they wouldn’t be in public/posing for pictures etc. I don’t think they really care in the slightest.

The reality though is they are no different to the majority of the nation who have if they are honest also broken the rules at one point or another.

10 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

I’m not sure they are arsed about it in the slightest or they wouldn’t be in public/posing for pictures etc. I don’t think they really care in the slightest.

The reality though is they are no different to the majority of the nation who have if they are honest also broken the rules at one point or another.

Grealish pretty horrific with his whole “stay at home” plea before what he did, though. I doubt the general public are quite such hypocrites. 

10 minutes ago, bobzy said:

Grealish pretty horrific with his whole “stay at home” plea before what he did, though. I doubt the general public are quite such hypocrites. 

That’s kind of the point, a lot are exactly that. Many of those having a go at various footballers for their breaches will themselves have done the same over Christmas or at some point. As for Jack, he is no Bono, if someone puts a microphone in front him as club captain wanting a soundbite he has to give one.

I’m not defending Jack or any of the player breaking the rules, I just think there is a lot of double standards with this sort of thing. 

• Like 2

1 hour ago, TrentVilla said:

Players do this shit because they know if they get caught not much will happen. A fine? No problem. Put a post on Twitter about how sorry they are, done.

Anything longer than a month suspension will be pretty catastrophic with the Euros looming. Players will be keeling over and dying on the pitch from exhaustion this time next year.

Edited by maqroll

1 hour ago, Genie said:

Players do this shit because they know if they get caught not much will happen. A fine? No problem. Put a post on Twitter about how sorry they are, done.

I agree and fines these days are of no concern to them. If the FA/PL wanted to do something about this they would have to introduce a fitting punishment like an automatic 3 match ban for breaching COVID rules with the support of clubs rather than them fighting it.

• Like 1

17 hours ago, TrentVilla said:

Not sure I agree with this. It has no effect on those who are seriously concerned by the pandemic as they will just shake their head at these morons, but what about the rest? Imagine if all those players (the Spurs players, Mendy, Lanzini, etc.) had followed the rules and just posted a picture captioned "home with the household only this Xmas/New Year's...do you part to keep everyone safe!". Would everyone follow the rules just because of that? Of course not, but it definitely could make some feel better knowing that even their favourite athletes are stuck at home for the holidays. Now, imagine those who don't think the virus is a big deal...being told to stay home alone and then seeing footballers---who, like McGinn said, are already privileged by being able to keep their jobs---blatantly disobey the rules with the punishment basically being a slap on the wrist. Do you think these everyday people are just going to stay home then? Absolutely not.

Pep recently said he doesn't believe the actions of his players have any effect on society as a whole. Sorry, but when you are in the public eye and have over a million followers (e.g., Mendy), your actions do have significant influence, especially on those who are skeptical of the situation. Just because the player tested negative makes it OK?

And Trent, you yourself wrote elsewhere that football and Villa have been an important escape through these tough times. That has been the case for myself and I'm certain for many others. I'm sure it's also tough on footballers too, but when you (footballers) are being paid an exorbitant amount of money to entertain the fans, which has an added importance during these times, there is an extra aspect of responsibility and in fact a duty that comes with it, i.e., staying within your bubble and not breaking rules so that games are not cancelled/postponed and you can do what you are paid to do. I think that latter point is sometimes forgotten in modern day sports.

Edited by a-k

Â