Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

Dyche is actually correct (if the money does get redistributed rather than pocketed) 

But you can imagine how the headline reader generation have reacted to that 

If each of the clubs in the football league got enough of the vaccine to vaccinate 30 players/staff that’s 60 doses x92 clubs = 5,520 doses.

Cost is around £2.50 for the Oxford one, let’s say they buy 5,520 doses for £500,000 (just under £10 each) and then donated the other £4.5m that they are budgeting to spend on testing to the NHS.

NHS can then buy another 1.8m doses using that money and vaccinate nearly a million people funded by the professional football clubs/players.

Seems like a win/win to me.

Edited by Genie
  • Like 3

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

Covid expert Steve Bruce who said St James Park could host 30000 a few weeks ago now thinks its morally wrong to play football

Yes but when he said that he wouldn't have known just how bad it was going to become.  Only a few months ago people were saying the virus had lost its potency and we  should return to normal and these were on QT

Edited by PaulC

6 hours ago, Zatman said:

Covid expert Steve Bruce who said St James Park could host 30000 a few weeks ago now thinks its morally wrong to play football

I read that interview today and was baffled. WTF. I knew he was always a useless manager but it turns out he's also brain dead. 

15 hours ago, Genie said:

If each of the clubs in the football league got enough of the vaccine to vaccinate 30 players/staff that’s 60 doses x92 clubs = 5,520 doses.

Cost is around £2.50 for the Oxford one, let’s say they buy 5,520 doses for £500,000 (just under £10 each) and then donated the other £4.5m that they are budgeting to spend on testing to the NHS.

NHS can then buy another 1.8m doses using that money and vaccinate nearly a million people funded by the professional football clubs/players.

Seems like a win/win to me.

Money isn't the issue though at the moment, it's getting hold of vaccines. So another way of looking at it is those are 5,500 doses that we can't get into the over 80s until we get more deliveries, which is another 100 dead folk that could have been prevented. 

• Like 2

**** off Gollum

"We have to be careful that everybody isn't picking on football players," said Moyes.

"We will all know people who have broken the rules in their own way.

"The players have followed the protocols. Every day at the training ground they have to go through rituals just to get into the building. They know what their job is. Like most human beings at times, they can get things wrong."

Edited by The_Steve

On 05/01/2021 at 02:38, Zatman said:

Celtic have gone to the Middle East for a mid season camp 👌

Unsurprisingly some Celtic players picked up Covid. Should be given a points deduction the idiots

10 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Unsurprisingly some Celtic players picked up Covid. Should be given a points deduction the idiots

SFA and the government re writing the rules as I speak to allow them off..............afterall they are one of the only 2 clubs in Scotland. 🤨   Took a player on crutches to their "elite" training camp so I expect he had a big input. 🙂 From the posted pictures they seemed to be spending a lot of time sitting by the pool, drinking lager and walking around the hotel with no social distancing and no masks.........but they won't have broken any protocols.😉

Mind you, its the first positive thing that has happened to them in a while!

We are due to play them tonight and was hoping we would make some sort of statement if they are allowed to field their first team squad. 

Mind you, we could play their U18s and still lose.🤣

Edited by newhavenhibby

1 hour ago, Zatman said:

I was surprised they all didn't get the Chinese vaccine while they were out there. 

2 hours ago, Zatman said:

Forced to play today with 13 players in isolation. Deserved.

• Like 3

On 09/01/2021 at 06:24, blunther said:

Money isn't the issue though at the moment, it's getting hold of vaccines. So another way of looking at it is those are 5,500 doses that we can't get into the over 80s until we get more deliveries, which is another 100 dead folk that could have been prevented. 

The issue isn’t really vaccine availability more delivery by health officials, which obviously PL clubs have.

I’m not advocating PL clubs being treated as priority but the reality is that to give 2000 vaccines to PL clubs would make next to no difference at all to the roll out. So the decision not to do so is more political than anything.

I’d also add that given the PL is currently still on that those involved are likely to pass transmit the virus as we’ve seen in the last week. This transition will extend beyond the game.

So there is a valid public health reason to vaccinate as well as against.

Given footballs economic importance and its importance for many people’s well being there are other arguments for it being a valid suggestion. It would though be a very controversial decision.

• Like 2

I’ve just read that for January they introduced ‘stronger protocols’ like reminding players not to bump fists, and ensuring substitutes are wearing masks. I’m sure that’s going to make a huge difference.

I don’t know why they’re finding it hard to make smart decisions based on the science and the situation in-front of us, as usual everything is reactionary and it’s making the issue worse.

We all knew in summer that Internationals were a terrible idea, we all knew that a smart way to ease the fixture congestion was to sacrifice a cup competition.

Edited by a m ole
  • Like 1

The club doctors can administer the vaccines so it's just 5000 doses that need to be sent to clubs. I don't know why they haven't done it yet. I know it's not fair that footballers are jumping the queue but as Trent says, lots of money and livelihoods depend on football. Paint it that way along with overall saving money and I'm sure there would be very little resistance to it.

• Like 1

22 minutes ago, darrenm said:

The club doctors can administer the vaccines so it's just 5000 doses that need to be sent to clubs. I don't know why they haven't done it yet. I know it's not fair that footballers are jumping the queue but as Trent says, lots of money and livelihoods depend on football. Paint it that way along with overall saving money and I'm sure there would be very little resistance to it.

It’s not even close to 5000, it would be around 2000 for the initial injection.

Â