Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

2 minutes ago, avfcDJ said:

Jose was boasting that they took the league cup seriously, I wonder if he will still be boasting a few months down the line.

More likely he’ll be crying about the congestion, even if they win it, which I doubt they will. 

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

More likely he’ll be crying about the congestion, even if they win it, which I doubt they will. 

they will play either City or United in the final. beat one of them 2-0 and the other 6-1 so far this season

• Like 1

Just now, Zatman said:

they will play either City or United in the final. beat one of them 2-0 and the other 6-1 so far this season

Yeah they could win, I just don’t think they will. To be fair I don’t really care who wins that final. As long as we get a result against them I’m happy. 

Wonder how many are willing to gamble on their beloved dying for the opportunity to watch Archery and Synchronized Swimming at the Olympics?

Olympic athletes should get priority access to coronavirus vaccines, IOC's Dick Pound says

In order to safeguard the Tokyo Olympics, athletes must be given priority access to the coronavirus vaccine, says prominent International Olympic Committee member Dick Pound. 

The longtime IOC official, who is Canadian, expressed confidence in the ability of the Olympics to proceed in July — when the delayed Summer Games are scheduled to begin — so long as athletes can jump to the front of the COVID-19 vaccine line.

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/dick-pound-ioc-athltes-vaccine-tokyo-olympics-1.5863205

1 hour ago, sne said:

Wonder how many are willing to gamble on their beloved dying for the opportunity to watch Archery and Synchronized Swimming at the Olympics?

https://www.cbc.ca/sports/olympics/dick-pound-ioc-athltes-vaccine-tokyo-olympics-1.5863205

To be fair, within the next few months, anyone will be able to buy a private vaccine if they want to. I'm sure all professional sport bodies/clubs will get vaccines for their sports people as soon as the vaccine is available to buy. 

I'm considering it for myself (cost dependant), as i'll be near the bottom of the queue whilst most people around me have already had the vaccine (they work in medical fields). They are all planning summer holidays abroad, and so people who want to travel but arent yet on the list for a free vaccine will go private. 

Just now, ender4 said:

To be fair, within the next few months, anyone will be able to buy a private vaccine if they want to. I'm sure all professional sport bodies/clubs will get vaccines for their sports people as soon as the vaccine is available to buy. 

I'm considering it for myself (cost dependant), as i'll be near the bottom of the queue whilst most people around me have already had the vaccine (they work in medical fields). They are all planning summer holidays abroad, and so people who want to travel but arent yet on the list for a free vaccine will go private. 

Anyone who is rich or living in a wealthy country. Doubt the athletes from poorer countries will. But then again who cares about them.

The difficulty with the schedules for teams like Spurs and Citeh is that not only will it affect those teams directly, but it'll also affect teams like us too.

For example, if Citeh reach the later rounds of the FA Cup, we'll need to reschedule our second league game with them, and we'll need to fit that game into their schedule - it might mean we end up with a particularly hectic week full of games in order to accommodate other sides.

The big danger with the schedules of the sides in Europe is that the fixtures they've squeezed in at the moment leave them particularly vulnerable if they have any more games postponed - if Spurs were to lose a game through Covid or weather, fitting two more games in could be horrendously difficult, both for them and the teams they're playing against.

49 minutes ago, sne said:

Anyone who is rich or living in a wealthy country. Doubt the athletes from poorer countries will. But then again who cares about them.

It's being quoted that it will be around £300 privately through private clinics in the UK.   The govt are buying them for between £2.50 & £25 (depending which version).

The IOC could easily purchase a bulk for a few thousand atheletes for minimal cost to ensure the Olympics go ahead. Even the Japanese govt could buy them as the benefit to their country is massive.

same with football - the Premier League or the FA could easily and cheaply purchase some for all the professional leagues.

4 minutes ago, ender4 said:

It's being quoted that it will be around £300 privately through private clinics in the UK.   The govt are buying them for between £2.50 & £25 (depending which version).

The IOC could easily purchase a bulk for a few thousand atheletes for minimal cost to ensure the Olympics go ahead. Even the Japanese govt could buy them as the benefit to their country is massive.

same with football - the Premier League or the FA could easily and cheaply purchase some for all the professional leagues.

Yeah guess so. Would be a PR disaster thou.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, sne said:

Yeah guess so. Would be a PR disaster thou.

Yes, because the issue is not really the cost, it’s because if sports people are getting them then there’s elderly, vulnerable or NHS staff that aren’t. 

• Like 1

14 hours ago, Genie said:

Yes, because the issue is not really the cost, it’s because if sports people are getting them then there’s elderly, vulnerable or NHS staff that aren’t. 

I predict that in the near future vaccines will be widely available, just like testing is now.

Back in March it was all about testing the health workers. Now everyone is getting tested, and you can privately purchase relatively cheap rapid tests if you want to.

I can only assume the same will happen with vaccines; all elderly and priority will get vaccinated by the summer, new vaccines and drugs will come out, they will become more available. 

I think that elite sports athletes will get vaccinated by the summer, and it won't be a 'big deal'. 

• Like 1

Burnley boss Sean Dyche wants Covid-19 vaccinations in football and money saved on testing sent to NHS

Currently in football, Premier League clubs are subject to twice-weekly coronavirus testing, while the PFA will also begin funding that approach for all 72 EFL clubs from next week at a cost of around £5m. 

"The amount of money being spent on testing in the Premier League, if that was channelled back into the NHS and into the vaccination system, surely that's a better place to be than continually testing footballers.

"I appreciate some people will be surprised by that comment and people will say: 'Why should footballers get vaccinations?' But, if the testing diminishes, that money could be used for a much better cause.

"Football then also remains a competitive industry rather than what might end up as a skewed industry because of players missing from games. It's a common-sense view.

"Let me make it clear, there are people way in front of footballers [as a priority to be vaccinated]. I'm not remotely suggesting that should be put in front of the welfare of people who are very vulnerable.

"What I'm saying is: Is there a timeline where they can fast-track to that period? Logically, it would be better putting the funding that is put into testing into the system to encourage more vaccinations.

"That money could be used more wisely, I would suggest, to get it out there quicker to the vulnerable and beyond."

https://www.standard.co.uk/sport/football/burnley-sean-dyche-covid-vaccinations-football-b756837.html

The EFL reported 112 positive tests from its strategic league-wide testing programme this week.

The testing programme involved 3,507 players and staff from 66 EFL clubs who are involved in FA Cup or league action this weekend. The six clubs who did not feature will be tested ahead of their next league fixtures.

https://www.skysports.com/football/news/11095/12182401/coronavirus-112-positive-test-results-in-efl-testing

Edited by Daniel

Â