Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

16 hours ago, maqroll said:

Anything longer than a month suspension will be pretty catastrophic with the Euros looming. Players will be keeling over and dying on the pitch from exhaustion this time next year.

No they won’t, as Smith said, there’s never been a football player stretchered off with exhaustion.

They may be more susceptible to picking up injuries and they may be fatigued but they will not be keeling over on the pitch, these are highly trained athletes, they can cope with running around every day.

• Like 1

Some pros and cons of pausing the season

The pros and cons of shutting football down again

Games are being called off. Fixtures are piling up. The virus is becoming ever more infectious, but no-one appears to have made a plan about what to do in this situation. Not UEFA. Not the FA. Not the EFL. Not the Premier League. There has been no thought as to how to operate in what was always going to be shifting and varied circumstances. No fall back position. Nothing. Football’s firm belief in its own exceptionalism meant it assumed it would just get through somehow. How else to explain this driving whilst blind policy?

And now the stupidity of this Mr. Magoo approach is being revealed as the idiocy it obviously was to anyone who had thought about it for even a moment before the season started. It was not hard to imagine a second wave of infections through the winter, so everyone should have worked out what to do if and when it happened, and made allowances in anticipation of the fact.

“The Premier League has not discussed pausing the season and has no plans to do so,” was the top-flight response after the Fulham v Spurs game was called off.

How have they possibly “not discussed” it? That’s downright irresponsible.

Clearly, they’re just hoping all the games can somehow be played, got out of the way and be voided from the football body like a painful kidney stone. It no longer seems to be anything to do with the validity or otherwise of the various competitions, but more to do with just completing the games to get TV money, whatever it takes, and sod the consequences.

https://www.football365.com/news/pros-cons-shut-premier-league-down-coronavirus

12 hours ago, a-k said:

Not sure I agree with this. It has no effect on those who are seriously concerned by the pandemic as they will just shake their head at these morons, but what about the rest? Imagine if all those players (the Spurs players, Mendy, Lanzini, etc.) had followed the rules and just posted a picture captioned "home with the household only this Xmas/New Year's...do you part to keep everyone safe!". Would everyone follow the rules just because of that? Of course not, but it definitely could make some feel better knowing that even their favourite athletes are stuck at home for the holidays. Now, imagine those who don't think the virus is a big deal...being told to stay home alone and then seeing footballers---who, like McGinn said, are already privileged by being able to keep their jobs---blatantly disobey the rules with the punishment basically being a slap on the wrist. Do you think these everyday people are just going to stay home then? Absolutely not.

Pep recently said he doesn't believe the actions of his players have any effect on society as a whole. Sorry, but when you are in the public eye and have over a million followers (e.g., Mendy), your actions do have significant influence, especially on those who are skeptical of the situation. Just because the player tested negative makes it OK?

And Trent, you yourself wrote elsewhere that football and Villa have been an important escape through these tough times. That has been the case for myself and I'm certain for many others. I'm sure it's also tough on footballers too, but when you (footballers) are being paid an exorbitant amount of money to entertain the fans, which has an added importance during these times, there is an extra aspect of responsibility and in fact a duty that comes with it, i.e., staying within your bubble and not breaking rules so that games are not cancelled/postponed and you can do what you are paid to do. I think that latter point is sometimes forgotten in modern day sports.

You are taking what I said out of context. My point was that the condemnation of footballers for their actions is largely hypocritical, as the general public like footballers have also broken COVID rules.

I wasn't saying that their actions have no impact on the actions of others.

You a disagreeing with a view I've not expressed.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, TrentVilla said:

You are taking what I said out of context. My point was that the condemnation of footballers for their actions is largely hypocritical, as the general public like footballers have also broken COVID rules.

I wasn't saying that their actions have no impact on the actions of others.

You a disagreeing with a view I've not expressed.

They’re humans, and humans are stupid, often.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Daniel said:

It’s a big jump but it’s tiny as a proportion of the numbers tested. There will be a lot of headlines but I don’t think it’s sufficient to see any change in stance at this stage.

6 hours ago, The_Steve said:

Quite the fixture pile-up for Spurs:

That’s shocking, the cups should have been cancelled for this season in favour of keeping the leagues going. But I understand why they w€r€n’t. 

The upside to this is that I’m happy to see Spurs fail again, they should be exhausted by the time we play them in May. 

22 minutes ago, It's Your Round said:

That’s shocking, the cups should have been cancelled for this season in favour of keeping the leagues going. But I understand why they w€r€n’t. 

The upside to this is that I’m happy to see Spurs fail again, they should be exhausted by the time we play them in May. 

Jose was boasting that they took the league cup seriously, I wonder if he will still be boasting a few months down the line.

Â