Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

3 hours ago, Jimzk5 said:

And in the middle of next season you have the rescheduled world cup in Qatar

I don't see how leagues can reschedual a chunk of games into an already packed schedule.

IF there's a peak next month and then reductions happen then it's possible if you start leagues up again near end of May to wrap up everything by Mid July (so same rest period as if the euros were still going on as normal).

Would mean having to play every midweek aswell as weekends (add in european and FA cup games) but then that's pretty much the same in every month of a normal season.

Some journalist (Roman Murphy) has said this on twitter:

The DFL and DFB are considering ending the Bundesliga season after this weekend, according to the Express. No trophy would be awarded and no relegation would take place. Instead, the Bundesliga would be expanded to 22 teams for 2020-21 with the top four teams from the second tier

Something like that would work in England :lol:

Give Liverpool the title, because of their lead, let Leeds and Baggies get promoted, but no-one gets relegated and have 22 teams next season with 5 teams relegated. That would be exciting.

• Like 3

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

Maybe just round the season up so everybody has played the same amount of games. Then whatever position you are in stands if the season cannot be completed 

Can't as Arsenal can't play City due to their contact with it.

Also that would give us one last roll of the dice to beat Sheffield United to stay in the league. A Sheffield United who would (with Citys ban) be in next season's Champions League with a win.

No thanks, end it. 

It seems to me there’s no incentive to play now. Everything is in limbo. I don’t think it’s a good idea for football to continue the way things are. Over 1000 deaths in Italy. That could happen here and it’s too risky to continue to have 40/70k of people in grounds. 

37 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

The DFL and DFB are considering ending the Bundesliga season after this weekend, according to the Express. No trophy would be awarded and no relegation would take place. Instead, the Bundesliga would be expanded to 22 teams for 2020-21 with the top four teams from the second tier

Give Liverpool the title, because of their lead, let Leeds and Baggies get promoted, but no-one gets relegated and have 22 teams next season with 5 teams relegated. That would be exciting.

What a brilliant country Germany is. They just know how to get things done. I think that is the fairest, most logical and actually most exciting way to approach this. I'd love it if we do something like this.

• Like 1

55 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

This really is a fantastic idea

• Like 1

No way the other championshop teams below Leeds and Albion would stand for that, Fulham are only six points off top two with ten games still to play and as we've seen both Albion and Leeds are capable of going on bad runs, Fulham could actually be in the top two in little over a week and it wouldn't take the most amazing set of results for that to happen. And then think of all the players on promotion bonuses, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to lose out on those based on a incomplete season.

12 minutes ago, useless said:

No way the other championshop teams below Leeds and Albion would stand for that, Fulham are only six points off top two with ten games still to play and as we've seen both Albion and Leeds are capable of going on bad runs, Fulham could actually be in the top two in little over a week and it wouldn't take the most amazing set of results for that to happen. And then think of all the players on promotion bonuses, I'm sure they wouldn't be happy to lose out on those based on a incomplete season.

That’s probably why Bundesliga have gone for Top 4

Even then you'd get the teams just below the top four complaining about it, at the moment only seven points seperate Swansea in eleventh place with Brentford in fourth place. Forest are actually on the same points as Brentford at the moment.

2 minutes ago, HalfTimePost said:

That’s probably why Bundesliga have gone for Top 4

We could go for the whole of the Top 6 if it kept them happy, but then the teams in 7th, 8th and 9th would moan because they’re only 1-2 points off 6th.

Maybe change it to the Top 3 get promoted because, on the same amount of games played, Fulham are 4 points above the others and the top 2 are even further ahead.

• Like 1

7 minutes ago, useless said:

I'm starting to wonder if we're all going to get this dreaded thing.

Many of us will, most will go through it like a seasonal cold. In fact, that is the only way the society will be rid of it once a large chunk of people build immunity.

Most of us have nothing to fear, it's the weaker most volnourable that will be in trouble. 

7 minutes ago, useless said:

• Like 1

Â