Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

I think villa are a weird club to judge

When things are going well yes they help but there's also an incredible negative nervous energy at VP which doesn't help at all

Impossible to tell

I think being able to hear the players talking would be very interesting 

4 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon players perform better behind closed doors? Less pressure from the crowd so can play with more freedom? 

That's not an option that should even be considered as far as I'm concerned. Football is for the fans. The very image of players playing in an empty stadium kind of sums up what football has become in recent years.

Another post in the UEFA: Evil or just morons (with the correct answer being evil). Here is their plan for the Champions League apparently.

Can gather the world's best in the same city

Football's move to save the season

A straight cup game with Europe's eight best football teams in a neutral place.

How Uefa plans to try to save the Champions League season.

Istanbul possible place of play

One suggestion from Uefa President Aleksander Ceferin is that the tournaments are decided with the singles instead of the doubles and that the matches are thus played in a neutral place or that the playing place is decided by lottery.

Another scenario that is being discussed is to bring together the remaining teams, perhaps already at the quarterfinals game, in one and the same city to reduce the risk of contagion when traveling. There the European tournaments can then be decided in a classic cup game.

Possible venues are the final venues for the respective tournament, Istanbul for the Champions League and Gdansk for the Europa League.

https://www.aftonbladet.se/sportbladet/fotboll/a/wPQXBP/kan-samla-varldens-basta-i-samma-stad

4 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

That's not an option that should even be considered as far as I'm concerned. Football is for the fans. The very image of players playing in an empty stadium kind of sums up what football has become in recent years.

I agree to an extent. Football is not just for the 40,000 in the ground. It’s for the millions around the world.  I think for a few weeks playing behind closed doors wouldn’t be the end of the world.

8 minutes ago, Rob182 said:

I think Villa play better with a home crowd that's up for it. We've shown on many of our night games this season that the crowd has played a big part, and I think if you play behind closed doors, that would seal our relegation.

I agree to an extent.  Against Spurs you could feel the tension in the air all second half. Would Engles have made that last minute error?  Who knows.

Either way it looks like games are on tomorrow. I’ve had family members pleading with me not to go so will have to give it a miss.

17 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

You reckon players perform better behind closed doors? Less pressure from the crowd so can play with more freedom? 

Paris v Dortmund looked crap, it's as if game has slowed down 20%

• Like 1

The very fact that UEFA and the Premier League/FA are trying to save their competitions really does just show what absolute abhorrent scumbags they are. Only one thing matters to them. The sooner the entire football world goes bust and has to start again from scratch, the better.

• Like 4

the worst of it will, and once it reaches more manageable levels in the warmer weather it will improve. At a sufficient rate, I don't know. But aiming to finish in the summer whilst postponing Euro 2020 to 21 seems a reasonable goal at this stage

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

Expected to announce a month long break, euros pushed back until 2021 so PL fixtures played in the summer

Stupid, this won't be over in a month

Nope, not even close. The worst of the outbreak is expected over the summer. Absolutely no way that fixtures can continue. I honestly don't think this will be over in time for next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any more football until next January.

3 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

Nope, not even close. The worst of the outbreak is expected over the summer. Absolutely no way that fixtures can continue. I honestly don't think this will be over in time for next season. I wouldn't be surprised if we don't see any more football until next January.

Funny thing is since I graduated I spent 6/7 years on dodgy streams and going to pubs to watch football. I kept walking around pissed off I cant watch Champions League on a Tuesday without swearing at my laptop.

2 weeks ago I have sorted out TV, excited to watch all the football, and now it's all gonna be cancelled 😂

• Haha 3

5 minutes ago, Okonokos said:

I definitely agree that people don't seem to realise how long this could go on for. We are about four weeks behind Italy in terms of their level of infection. Id be amazed if this season finishes. And if it does, then it's all about money.

• Like 1

33 minutes ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I agree to an extent. Football is not just for the 40,000 in the ground. It’s for the millions around the world.  I think for a few weeks playing behind closed doors wouldn’t be the end of the world.

I agree to an extent.  Against Spurs you could feel the tension in the air all second half. Would Engles have made that last minute error?  Who knows.

Either way it looks like games are on tomorrow. I’ve had family members pleading with me not to go so will have to give it a miss.

I agree to an extent

Even if the fixtures are delayed for a month, how are the players meant to train with each other, or even train at all, if many of them end up having to self-isloate. If managers and coaches happen to catch the virus that would make training even more complicated.

Â