Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

That's handy it's been suspended as I was planning to avoid football for the foreseeable future - problem solved!

It's likely they will have to cancel the season as people have mentioned because this virus is likely to get worse rather than better and will not be resolved in a couple of weeks. 

Good news for football fans as it means the Scousers won't win the league and the Boing Boing Baggies stay in the Chumpionship 😎👍

Oh, and good news for us seeing as this season has been utter bollox. People's lives are more important than football anyway. 

50 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

I definitely agree that people don't seem to realise how long this could go on for. We are about four weeks behind Italy in terms of their level of infection. Id be amazed if this season finishes. And if it does, then it's all about money.

This season can absolutely be written off. I think the focus needs to be on next season because I can see that not going ahead as it stands.

I know its all about money and sky making sure that Liverplop pick up the title.

But, if the season is cancelled then the only competition that has been completed is the League Cup. Write off the FA cup as well as any promotion/relegation, unless a version of crickets complicated Duckworth - Lewis method is bought in to determine the league positions.

Anyway a thought - would we all really be still pleased at the season potentially being written off if we just happened to be about to win the league (however unlikely that will ever be)?

Regards to all

Derek

In Sweden they have already started to hand out the titles to clubs in the smaller sports like basketball, handball and so on.

Only a matter of time til' they do it in ice hockey as well. And hockey is the second biggest sport in Sweden. They will try and postpone it since it's a massive sport for the fans and huge money involved but that's how it will end.

Our football season hasn't started yet so it's mainly the issue of clubs losing tons of money by having players on contract while not getting any gate money in from games.

15 minutes ago, sne said:

In Sweden they have already started to hand out the titles to clubs in the smaller sports like basketball, handball and so on.

Only a matter of time til' they do it in ice hockey as well. And hockey is the second biggest sport in Sweden. They will try and postpone it since it's a massive sport for the fans and huge money involved but that's how it will end.

Our football season hasn't started yet so it's mainly the issue of clubs losing tons of money by having players on contract while not getting any gate money in from games.

Out of interest, what are the top 5 sports covered in Sweden in the media? 

1 hour ago, Mic09 said:

Funny thing is since I graduated I spent 6/7 years on dodgy streams and going to pubs to watch football. I kept walking around pissed off I cant watch Champions League on a Tuesday without swearing at my laptop.

2 weeks ago I have sorted out TV, excited to watch all the football, and now it's all gonna be cancelled 😂

Cherish this weekend, full round of Bundesliga, Russia and Turkey. South American leagues still going on for the moment. Dust off that laptop.

• Like 1

23 minutes ago, Tayls said:

I was amazed to find out recently that basketball is the main sport in Lithuania. 

For once, and seeing rugby still playing games as normal, I think football is thinking about the welfare and safety of supporters and players for once. Fair play to the premier league and all involved for making the decision to postpone things. Something the government didn't want to do.

27 minutes ago, Tayls said:

Football by far the biggest, especially if you include other leagues.

Then it's ice hockey including the NHL as #2. After that it's a bit more evenly distributed but winter sports like cross county skiing and downhill skiing comes next then perhaps athletics followed by motorsports.

Sure I'm forgetting some but pretty much that, then there are some sports where the finals are big one time events like handball, floorball and bandy.

It also changes depending on what sports Sweden is successful in, tennis used to be huge, just as table tennis did. Now we've moved on to pole vaulting...

The validity of the league has been dubious enough with VAR and incompetence having too much effect.  This would be a convenient way of sweeping it under the carpet if they end up voiding the rest of the season due to the virus, whilst protecting the population at the same time.  

24 minutes ago, Mjvilla said:

For once, and seeing rugby still playing games as normal, I think football is thinking about the welfare and safety of supporters and players for once. Fair play to the premier league and all involved for making the decision to postpone things. Something the government didn't want to do.

Nah

They said yesterday that all games would happen with full crowds and it only took arteta being announced as positive for them to actually make a decision. 

No credit from me 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, sne said:

Football by far the biggest, especially if you include other leagues.

Then it's ice hockey including the NHL as #2. After that it's a bit more evenly distributed but winter sports like cross county skiing and downhill skiing comes next then perhaps athletics followed by motorsports.

Sure I'm forgetting some but pretty much that, then there are some sports where the finals are big one time events like handball, floorball and bandy.

It also changes depending on what sports Sweden is successful in, tennis used to be huge, just as table tennis did. Now we've moved on to pole vaulting...

Interesting indeed. 

Where does equestrian sports fall into it all? Was half expecting you to mention it... 

Edited by Tayls

Just now, Tayls said:

Interesting indeed. 

Where does equestrian sports come into it? 

Not sure, there is certainly a lot of people who are passionate about it, a bit like as with golf. Both those groups are good at effecting when people awards and stuff like that are being voted on.

Betting on horses is huge but I'm iffy about that being a sport :D 

• Like 1

35 minutes ago, sharkyvilla said:

The validity of the league has been dubious enough with VAR and incompetence having too much effect.  This would be a convenient way of sweeping it under the carpet if they end up voiding the rest of the season due to the virus, whilst protecting the population at the same time.  

I thought the same thing. VAR has totally voided this season anyway so this is a perfect excuse to bin it off and get VAR working for whenever next season starts.

• Like 1

Â