Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

if PL players catch it (which looks likely) surely that's grounds for cancelling the season? 

I really hope that the virus spreads no more and everyone infected gets better, but I am so excited about the possibility of Liverpool not winning the league. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

45 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

if PL players catch it (which looks likely) surely that's grounds for cancelling the season? 

I really hope that the virus spreads no more and everyone infected gets better, but I am so excited about the possibility of Liverpool not winning the league. 

They could win it this weekend 

4 minutes ago, PaulC said:

They can’t do that surely. Have the whole season made null and void. There would be a lot of High court cases if that was the case 

Exactly, it would be major.

But then again, let's say that Liverpool win next weekend and they somehow broke the rules a a week after - played with steroids, were involved in corruption, played ineligable players or something like that.

Surely that would have consequence on their league status, meaning they might not be actually considered champions.

Hence, the season can only be valid if played from start to finish. 

i think that’s different myself. I think what may happen is the football will be suspended for a month and will be played out may and June. Then the Euro’s would go ahead in July or August and the start of next season delayed until October. That’s what I believe will happen 

I dont see how you declare 1st but then don't declare 4th or 17th, or any position given the prize money per position

Postponing relies on the idea that by June / July everything will be sorted and OK again and games can be played and delays next season 

There's no answer to it and the bastion of fairness and justice Italy will no doubt end up setting a precedent 

You can't cancel or postpone games or even play behind closed doors and keep everyone happy

51 minutes ago, Zatman said:

Serie A is on the verge of cancelling what is a scorching title race. More important things than football 

Be interesting how they will allocate European spots

If the league is cancelled and the participating clubs don’t change (ie no relegation/promotion from/to the league) for Serie A next season then the European spots should remain the same as the cancelled season.

Edited by theboyangel

3 hours ago, villa4europe said:

I dont see how you declare 1st but then don't declare 4th or 17th, or any position given the prize money per position

Postponing relies on the idea that by June / July everything will be sorted and OK again and games can be played and delays next season 

There's no answer to it and the bastion of fairness and justice Italy will no doubt end up setting a precedent 

You can't cancel or postpone games or even play behind closed doors and keep everyone happy

It's pretty straight forward in our league. Liverpool should be champions. Liverpool just need 5 points to be mathematically declared champions, and they still have to play us. This is also assuming City win every single one of their last 10 matches. 

4 minutes ago, Czechlad said:

It's pretty straight forward in our league. Liverpool should be champions. Liverpool just need 5 points to be mathematically declared champions, and they still have to play us. This is also assuming City win every single one of their last 10 matches. 

Its not straight forward though

You can't say Liverpool are champions but it's null and void for everyone else

You either finish the entire season or you wipe the entire season out

• Like 2

Pretty confident they're going to biff the Euros to next year and try and mop everything up from this season before starting again in September or maybe late August.

There's too many moving part to abandon an entire season. Leeds and West Brom just miss out on £140m? We get another pile of cash? Won't happen.

Football would have peaked if we can have Liverpool not win the league. They absolutely wouldn't have it, you know what they're like. They'd probably refuse to start the next season.

• Like 1

4 hours ago, Zatman said:

Serie A is on the verge of cancelling what is a scorching title race. More important things than football 

Be interesting how they will allocate European spots

Could be a playoff system to determine places or let current positions stand. if the latter happens in England then Villa will be doomed. 

Play-off system wouldn't be fair as there'd be no way of determining who does and doesn't deserve to be in those play-offs, same with the idea of cancelling relegation but promoting three teams from the championship and having a twenty-three team premier league next season with five relegation places, there's no fair way of deciding which three teams from the championship should be promoted as they've all played different teams and how the table looks now can look completely different to how it looks after 46 games when everyone has played all the same teams, this time last season after 37 games in the championship we were in eighth place for example.

29 minutes ago, useless said:

Play-off system wouldn't be fair as there'd be no way of determining who does and doesn't deserve to be in those play-offs, same with the idea of cancelling relegation but promoting three teams from the championship and having a twenty-three team premier league next season with five relegation places, there's no fair way of deciding which three teams from the championship should be promoted as they've all played different teams and how the table looks now can look completely different to how it looks after 46 games when everyone has played all the same teams, this time last season after 37 games in the championship we were in eighth place for example.

There is no fair way but a decision has to be made which is the least unfair.  

Â