Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

Postponing also isn’t great as most football contracts, including loans, run out on May 31st, so you are likely to get many teams ripped apart after May (especially in Championship where loans are very prevalent). Do you allow another mid-season transfer window or make teams stick with their squad until the end?

I’d also be surprised if UEFA roll over and agree to delay the champions league, Euros or both to accommodate the late finish of domestic leagues. They will look out for No. 1. Whatever happens it’s going to be a mess and controversial.

• Like 1

In my view of the world, they either need to keep it going and play every game in empty stadiums, or just void the season.

I can't see them cancelling the season so fully expect it to continue in empty stadiums. 

2 hours ago, PaulC said:

There is no fair way but a decision has to be made which is the least unfair.  

Some sort of playoff system seems fairest to me.  Liverpool guaranteed a place in the final with the next 4 playing off to face them for example.  Maybe the current bottom 3 play the top 3 in the Championship, whoever wins is in the PL next season?

*UEFA, evil or just retarded?

UEFA asking governments to ensure Euro 2020 goes ahead

UEFA is asking governments across the continent to ensure the European Championship goes ahead in three months despite the coronavirus outbreak.

Based on advice received from the World Health Organization, UEFA believes a city can host Euro 2020 games if it has the medical infrastructure to treat COVID-19 patients while still providing the necessary facilities to cope with tens of thousands of fans, a person with knowledge of the planning told The Associated Press on Tuesday.

The person spoke on condition of anonymity to discuss private planning conversations.

UEFA is using 12 stadiums in 12 nations for this unique pan-European tournament, which provides flexibility to give a city additional games if another is prevented from doing so due to the coronavirus. UEFA would remove games from a city if necessary to ensure the 24-team tournament can go ahead, the person said.

Brussels was already stripped of hosting because its stadium wasn’t finished and additional games were placed at Wembley, which has the semifinals and final in north London.

UEFA said reports that European football federations had requested that the 24-team tournament is moved to next year were “completely untrue.”

“UEFA has had no requests to move or cancel the tournament,” the governing body told the AP.

Officials from European football’s governing body have been working with the WHO to form a plan to mitigate the risks from the COVID-19 disease across the 12 countries due to stage games.

UEFA has been told by the WHO that it does not expect the virus to have been contained by the time Euro 2020 opens on June 12 in Rome, the persons with with knowledge of the planning said. No sports events are currently taking place in Italy after the country was put in effective lockdown by the government this week.

“UEFA takes the situation linked to the coronavirus very seriously,” the Nyon, Switzerland-based organization said in a statement. “We are closely monitoring the situation and are in contact with the World Health Organisation and national authorities regarding COVID-19 and its development.”

UEFA wants Euro 2020 to take place with fans. But some European club competition games are taking place this week in empty stadiums, including Paris Saint-Germain’s last-16 meeting in the Champions League with Borussia Dortmund on the orders of French authorities.

Decisions have already been made for later this month. Ireland’s Euro 2020 playoff match against Slovakia on March 26 will be played without fans on the instruction of the Slovakian government. Supporters will be barred from the stadium in Nuremberg for Germany’s friendly against Italy on March 31.

Like the IOC with the Tokyo Olympics, UEFA is trying to ensure its flagship event is not derailed by the virus. Cities in Azerbaijan, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Ireland, the Netherlands, Romania, Russia, Scotland and Spain will also stage games.

https://apnews.com/2f63cba991d1e899cfbb63e9f5588cd6

*The correct answer is evil.

Edited by sne

1 hour ago, sharkyvilla said:

Some sort of playoff system seems fairest to me.  Liverpool guaranteed a place in the final with the next 4 playing off to face them for example.  Maybe the current bottom 3 play the top 3 in the Championship, whoever wins is in the PL next season?

That’s not really fair is it 

Absolutely zero chance of Juventus facing Lyon next week in the CL. Their whole squad has been quarantined.

Wonder how UEFA will handle it, push it forward and hope for the best? The Italian football season will be cancelled before long.

11 minutes ago, sne said:

Absolutely zero chance of Juventus facing Lyon next week in the CL. Their whole squad has been quarantined.

Wonder how UEFA will handle it, push it forward and hope for the best? The Italian football season will be cancelled before long.

Basically also means all internationals will be cancelled, I believe the South American world cup qualifiers have been called off now.

Get this weekend's games out of the way and I doubt we'll see any football match until middle of April and even then that would be if cases are slowly decreasing which is uncertain.

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Mantis said:

I know it isn't going to happen, but the leagues getting cancelled and Leeds having to do this season all over again would be hilarious.

This is what I'm hoping for.

I wonder, would we be allowed to make signings like it was a new season? Could be the best thing that ever happened to Villa.

• Like 2

This is going to get all of football suspended now. Almost no choice I think after some of the things that just transpired here stateside (NBA suspending, European travel ban etc)

I think pretty much every league (football & other sport) is going to have to cancel now. 

Edited by Villaphan04
added new tweet.

Football games aren't shown anyway at 3pm?

They saying Sky won't show Super Sunday? The ramifications of that are monstrous. Sky/BT have paid billions for these games. People will all be cancelling if they can't watch football.

Edited by Tomaszk

Think they are just saying that they aren’t going to relax the 3pm law. 

clubs that have a system similar to avtv will be allowed to let Season ticket holders stream the other games. Not sure if manny will be able to get that set up by the weekend mind.

Â