Covid-19 and Football

Zatman

10 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

My guess would be most leagues will be suspended, then the Euros will be cancelled and leagues will complete their seasons in the Summer when this has (hopefully) calmed down

It's a weird one though, players contracts will expire, loan deals will finish etc, it's going to be a big mess. If they go down the route of suspending, on the assumption it will be suspended for longer than a couple of months, I can't see anything other than voiding the season. Maybe that's wishful thinking though. 

Edited by PieFacE

15 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

How will the European championship work now? Championship in 12 nations 4 months from now? 

Next summer surely, simply don't see any other realistic proposal at this time unless Covid suddenly retreats in next few months which looks very remote.

Of course the increasing problem is they'll be a knock on to next season which won't start on time.

Can see the football calendar being changed, seasons running at different times of the year. South America and MLS have seasons going from March-November and well weve got a World cup in November coming up pretty soon now.

Interesting but very strange times ahead.

The only team that stands to lose from cancelling the season is Liverpool, and anyone else in the other leagues also in such a strong position. Ain't nobody yet to hit 40 points who will mind this.  It's possibly the least worst option when it comes to complaints. 

5 minutes ago, Jareth said:

The only team that stands to lose from cancelling the season is Liverpool, and anyone else in the other leagues also in such a strong position. Ain't nobody yet to hit 40 points who will mind this.  It's possibly the least worst option when it comes to complaints. 

Maybe the fairest thing to do would be to take money prizes for the season and distribute them equally between teams?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Mic09 said:

Liverpool not winning the league, Leeds not going up, Villa staying up... 

chuck the baggies in there too for good measure

as shit as all this obviously is the football being cancelled is fairly good for aston villa fans

1 minute ago, Mic09 said:

Maybe the fairest thing to do would be to take money prizes for the season and distribute them equally between teams?

prize money trickling down

3pm games being live streamed

again, as shit as all this obviously is...

I think the best option would be Liverpool winning the league this weekend before the league is suspended. They'll then have no reason to stand in the way of calling the rest of the season off. Crown them champions and start again next season as too tough to call who goes down.

That's our best chance😄

44 minutes ago, PieFacE said:

It's a weird one though, players contracts will expire, loan deals will finish etc, it's going to be a big mess. If they go down the route of suspending, on the assumption it will be suspended for longer than a couple of months, I can't see anything other than voiding the season. Maybe that's wishful thinking though. 

I just don't see how they can void a season. Everyone just starts again? Teams don't get promoted/relegated.

Loan deals and contracts expiring is a far worse complication if everything just starts again in August. How much money have Leeds or Forest pumped into their promotion push and it's effectively down the toilet.

1 minute ago, HalfTimePost said:

I think the best option would be Liverpool winning the league this weekend before the league is suspended. They'll then have no reason to stand in the way of calling the rest of the season off. Crown them champions and start again next season as too tough to call who goes down.

That's our best chance😄

I think the league title is the least of the worries in terms of how complicated it would be to void the season.

I'd have thought contracts etc would be unaffected - like loaning a player and them getting injured (football stops for them) the contract still stands. And FFP - well if the season is scrapped so too is the period for FFP - in fact, it could turn out to benefit those who spent big...

6 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

I think the league title is the least of the worries in terms of how complicated it would be to void the season.

Yet it's the only thing most football fans are waiting to hear about with their fingers crossed 😂

Â