Match Thread: LCF: Villa v Man City

limpid

I really don’t think we’ve played badly at all. City have just been unplayable at times. If we can figure out a way to nullify the switch in play (easier said than done), somehow find some space for Jack and keep our heads up then we’re still in this.

• Like 3
  • Thanks 1

We've been pretty decent with what ball we've had. Samatta, goal aside, has been excellent. His hold up, touch and sheer physical strength look night and day from Wesley. Guilbert has been terrible. Still plays with this nonchalant half arsed look on his face.

• Like 3

Just now, JB said:

I really don’t think we’ve played badly at all. City have just been unplayable at times. If we can figure out a way to nullify the switch in play (easier said than done), somehow find some space for Jack and keep our heads up then we’re still in this.

Targett needs to stop giving Foden space, too - he tucks inside rather than marking him and it's allowing him easy access to the ball. Constant threat. 

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, sne said:

Think it's nice that VAR can go back 3 minutes and check for a potential microscopic offside but it can't overrule a blatantly wrong corner call that leads to a goal.

The non defending led to the goal. A corner isn't a goal. 

• Confused 1

Just now, brummybloke said:

Target has either not been concentrating or getting no call, ripped every time.

Luiz ? Wtf ? Normal terrible performance with maybe one or two seconds of not being a waste of space, how many wasteful passes or stopping any forward play ?

Elmo drifting inside is also hanging fred.

At the moment, I would be looking at putting another player on and taking off luiz hes been that wasteful with the limited possession we've had.

Another forward on would be my option, but we are not good enough or have anyone commanding that could hold the midfield.

Just pray when we get the ball we try and attack as that's really our only chance.

Samatta ? The guy is a finisher!!!

Thank you! 

Our full backs are tucking in to tighten the spaces but El Ghazi and Elmohamady are just doing absolutely nothing defensively and hanging them out to dry. If we had more disciplined wide men we might still have a chance. 

Maybe swap Elmo for Trezeguet - he puts a shift in - and throw on Davis late to bully them. 

2 minutes ago, Genie said:

How?

Usually they go back over the build up to a goal and look for infringements.

They'd check for a handball, a foul, or an offside AFAIK. And as the ball had been dead between the error and the goal they wouldn't go back anyway, just like if there was a foul that wasn't given and the ball goes out for a throw in and then a goal is scored it wouldn't go back. 

• Like 1

Get the full backs to stop playing so tight almost as centre halves.... to stop the ball going wide with ease.

Start to press more and stop sitting back.....retreating all the time.

Stop giving them so much respect 

And.might just get something out of this.

I would try a Konsa at right back. Guilbert is just not good enough. I think Targett is doing ok considering.

The midfield is just not good enough. Bring Davis on and bypass the middle. Take Elmo off. He offers nothing at all.

5 minutes ago, Farlz said:

Well there's a glimmer of hope for the second half. Started brightly but then sat back and it become very easy for City, both Targett and Guilbert struggling with how to deal out wide. 

Sat back or pushed back end result the same cause very different.

3 minutes ago, Genie said:

How?

Usually they go back over the build up to a goal and look for infringements.

Yeah they do, but this mistake didn't lead to a goal - it lead to a corner.

I know it's stupid, but VAR does not check for that stuff. 

Just now, Skruff said:

4-4-2. Davis and Sama up top. Would cause them problems, and give us an out ball. 

I wanted Davis upfront before the game kicked off. Against city we never have a midfield, so we'd be better off pumping balls from the back to Sam AND Davis, who can hold it up and bring others into play.

What we winds me up is that corner decision is exactly the thing VAR could change without ruining the game. One man on a monitor sees the replay once and in the refs ear "wrong decision, goalkick" before the player walks up to take it. 5seconds. None of this 2 minuite shit working out if someone's dick was offside.

• Like 3

1 minute ago, lexicon said:

Targett needs to stop giving Foden space, too - he tucks inside rather than marking him and it's allowing him easy access to the ball. Constant threat. 

Easier said than done. They'll go narrow then if he goes tight on Foden.