Carney Chukwuemeka

Villan4Life

At U23 level he and Aaron Ramsey played as No.8s with Raikhy as the No.6, both Chukwuemeka and Ramsey had a lot of license to get forward, but neither were out and out No.10s, but I think a lot of people when they say 'No.10' what they really mean is an attacking midfielder, people seem to have lost sight of the fact that you can be a No.8 and still be a very attack minded player, Gerrard himself was a No.8, as was Lampard, both were very attack minded midfielders, but neither were No.10s.

This season at U23 level we're setting up slightly different in midfield because of personnel, intead of two 8s in the midfield, with Lindley and Iroegbunam it's more like two 6s, and because of that Aaron Ramsey as the No.8 has even more freedom to get forward and so perhaps it could be said is playing more like a 'No.10' than last season.

Chukwuemeka could probably do a job as a sort of wide No.10, maybe similar role that you see Eze and Olise play, but I think we have to guard against unfairly building him to be something he's not, and then in turn unfairly criticizing him for not being what he never was in the first place.

12 hours ago, JAMAICAN-VILLAN said:

I still maintain. JJ still way ahead IMO.

I think bringing him on was partially " man management " from SG.

I think JJ is more of an 8 and Chuk is more of a 10 naturally, when Young went from one of the 10s in the 4-3-2-1 to left back Chuk was being asked to play as one of the 10s wasn't he?

Probably was more Sanson coming on instead of JJ, Chuk had some nervy moments and some really nice touches too. Too early to say but if SG is throwing him on when we're chasing a point against one of the best teams in the world in a role that we're relying on to score then that speaks volumes.

• Like 1

At least with Gerrard he has a good mentor for a midfielder.

If he can be half as good as Gerrard was, he’d still be a cracking player. 

I hope he commits his immediate future to us, knuckles down and makes himself a fixture within the team.

• Like 1

37 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

It was interesting to see last night that our width came from the full backs, but when the full backs came inside, it wasn't the 10's that went out wide to give us width, it was the 8's - it was Douglas Luiz drifting out to the left so that Bailey could stay narrow. 

Yes depending on where the ball was and if we were in possession, McGinn and Luiz we're right on the touchline quite often, sometimes the 10s were wide too and obvs the fullbacks. We tried to create overloads wide with a mix of a fullback, one of the 10s or the wide midfielder and sometimes all 3. 

Tactically it was really interesting last night, and I think we've got a load of players who can play in the two number 10 roles. Chuk is deffo one of them, if we were goin more defensive you could put Sanson and JJ in there, if you want to be a bit more attacking Buendia and Chuk maybe and balls out you could have Bailey and Traore there. Want to see Chuk in there against players that didn't cost the military budget of a small nation.

• Like 1

His off the ball closing down was excellent, as well as his movement. To walk on in a game full of intensity like that and hold his own......he's going to be a star and needs minutes. On the bench every week please and starts cup games.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

I can’t remember the last time an 18 year came on for us against one of the best teams in the world and didn’t look out of place. Bright future but as always still very young so we have to have patience. 

i do because sky told me it was jack grealish at least 7 times last night, even showed me a little clip when he came on as a reminder

as for chuk his closing down. movement and positioning is better than it looks, i think he's one of those players who has that natural lazy looking playing styles, he's not a watkins who looks like he's constantly doing doggies, at some point down the line someone on here is going to criticise him for it but its just his style

as for the loan, i would say tammy and mount are equally because of who else is in the 1st team blocking their progress, especially tammy, with samsons injury record there is every danger that chuk can play here this season, i hope he ends up with  around 15 appearances seeing as we've got at least 25 more games to go and he's already on 3, would 20 games in the championship be better? im not convinced, id rather he stayed with gerrard 

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, villa4europe said:

i do because sky told me it was jack grealish at least 7 times last night, even showed me a little clip when he came on as a reminder

as for chuk his closing down. movement and positioning is better than it looks, i think he's one of those players who has that natural lazy looking playing styles, he's not a watkins who looks like he's constantly doing doggies, at some point down the line someone on here is going to criticise him for it but its just his style

as for the loan, i would say tammy and mount are equally because of who else is in the 1st team blocking their progress, especially tammy, with samsons injury record there is every danger that chuk can play here this season, i hope he ends up with  around 15 appearances seeing as we've got at least 25 more games to go and he's already on 3, would 20 games in the championship be better? im not convinced, id rather he stayed with gerrard 

Fair point. Maybe they’ll judge by how Sanson and Ramsey get on from now until January in terms of fitness. Then you have to consider there maybe potential signings in January. 

Some of our fans already expect too much of Carney. Would love to see him got to a team where he is the main man and really show how good he can be.  After signing a new contract that is.

1 hour ago, OutByEaster? said:

I'd agree with a lot of that @Stevo985, but what I would say is that Gerrard is always going to play three midfielders with energy, it's a pressing midfield and there will never be space for a number ten like Carney in that - I think that's why people are making the point about Ramsey versus Chukwuemeka. Chukwuemeka will need to hugely develop and change his game in order to be considered to play there - in fact, as part of that midfield three I'd say he's currently behind five players in McGinn, Luiz, Ramsey, Sanson and Nakamba and he might well also be behind Iroegbunam for that role.

His immediate future isn't in the midfield three. I think last night we learned something - the way we now set up, with the removal of the traditional wingers and their replacement with narrower players - our 4-3-2-1 - gives us a position that Chukwuemeka can play and can play right now. I think that's where we'll see him for the next couple of seasons, It might be where he'll stay.

It was interesting to see last night that our width came from the full backs, but when the full backs came inside, it wasn't the 10's that went out wide to give us width, it was the 8's - it was Douglas Luiz drifting out to the left so that Bailey could stay narrow. 

It's very, very good news for Carney in terms of where his strengths lie, it's probably bad news for JPB who is more of a traditional winger, but it gives Carney a perfect opportunity to show what he can do.

I don't think a midfield 3 of any of McGinn/Ramsey/Nakamba/Luiz/Sanson is anywhere near attacking enough to work long term (although I admit I haven't seen enough of Sanson to be sure about that)

We need more penetration through the middle and I hope Carney can give us that because Ramsey (or McGinn or Nakamba or Luiz) does not (currently)

1 minute ago, Stevo985 said:

I don't think a midfield 3 of any of McGinn/Ramsey/Nakamba/Luiz/Sanson is anywhere near attacking enough to work long term (although I admit I haven't seen enough of Sanson to be sure about that)

We need more penetration through the middle and I hope Carney can give us that because Ramsey (or McGinn or Nakamba or Luiz) does not (currently)

I think that's the shape and the style though - we'll be looking for more offensive output from Cash and Targett and there will be opportunities for them each to get forward, but it's a formation that's about three players in the middle that are compact and difficult to play against with a front man, two deeper attacking players and support from the full backs.

I don't think it'll necessarily be the job of McGinn and Luiz (or Ramey or Nakamba or Sanson) to give us that bit of penetration through the middle, I think it'll be the job of Bailey, Buendia, Traore, El Ghazi and Chukwuemeka - I think last night we saw Chukwuemeka leave one group and join another in terms of where he's going to be playing for us in the immediate future.

The player that this formation absolutely suits down to the ground is Aaron Ramsey - if he continues to develop, I don't think there's a system he'll fit more perfectly into.

Absolutely love the idea of Carney getting a run in the team as one of two 10’s next to Buendia. With Traore and Bailey now out for a while it’s the perfect chance to stake a claim to the shirt. Hope Gerrard gives him that opportunity. 

9 minutes ago, OutByEaster? said:

I think that's the shape and the style though - we'll be looking for more offensive output from Cash and Targett and there will be opportunities for them each to get forward, but it's a formation that's about three players in the middle that are compact and difficult to play against with a front man, two deeper attacking players and support from the full backs.

I don't think it'll necessarily be the job of McGinn and Luiz (or Ramey or Nakamba or Sanson) to give us that bit of penetration through the middle, I think it'll be the job of Bailey, Buendia, Traore, El Ghazi and Chukwuemeka - I think last night we saw Chukwuemeka leave one group and join another in terms of where he's going to be playing for us in the immediate future.

The player that this formation absolutely suits down to the ground is Aaron Ramsey - if he continues to develop, I don't think there's a system he'll fit more perfectly into.

Not sure he'd leave Juve for us

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

25 minutes ago, Stevo985 said:

Have you seen Liverpools midfield three?

1 minute ago, gwi1890 said:

Have you seen Liverpools midfield three?

When we have the best attacking 3 in world football, containing the best player in the world, I'll be less concerned

Â