Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

1 minute ago, avfcDJ said:

I don’t think we should worry so much. We need players but we don’t need to rush them in like last season. We could quite easily add players up to the close of the window and still have enough for the season. Last year we needed recruits very quickly because we had nothing.

I agree. But the season start in two weeks, altough we're starting a week later than that. We might not need to have done all our business in three weeks time. But we need some new faces in before the season start.

1 hour ago, desensitized43 said:

You don't spend the kind of money we did on Hogan for good championship players. 

We paid top money in that division for a player we thought was good enough to score loads of goals to get us out of that division (someone like tammy)...he wasn't and he didn't. 

8 to 10 million ? Doesn't sound that much bearing in mind Brentfords striker with one season as a forward is being touted at 20 to 25 million ?

1 hour ago, John said:

We did 30 years ago (three of them):D:

1990-91 (16' And Coppa UEFA - 24-10-1990) Aston Villa-INTER 2-0  [Nielsen,Platt] [1°Tempo] - YouTube

in my short time on this board I have come to understand that you are one of only a a few who gets my Villa comments as clearly as I mean them and as clearly that you were seeing the same 

Edited by Follyfoot
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, est1874 said:

Agreed.

This is why we need sensible signings, not marquee signings.

Let Everton sign the likes of Rodriguez. They're a basket case club anyway.

Progress for me looks like this:

• Hold on to Grealish and Luiz, whatever it costs us. Both would be extremely difficult to replace.
  • Sign a goalscorer (Watkins or Edouard please).
  • Sign a winger (or two) who can provide for our striker.
  • Strengthen the back line if possible (a full-back who can cover both sides, a centre-half of equal or better quality to Mings and Konsa).

That would be a very tidy window for me.

I know we're in for Martinez or another goalkeeper to challenge Heaton but it seems a luxury. I honestly trust Steer until Heaton's back. Sell Kalinic or Nyland.

For sure.

Also, it's a pandemic and many clubs are struggling, and with the ownership we have, are very lucky. I would add that the transfer market is saturated due to Chelsea's giant spree, which we shouldn't forget, is a byproduct of the transfer ban ending. Chelsea are consolidating their squad now if and when a ban occurs again.

The signings will come. I just hope people just ignore the Twitter 'ITKs' and the attention, clout chasing podcasters and influecners too.

Edited by The_Steve

Benrahma✅ = Special Talent High Creativity (LW)

Origi✅ = High Intensity- Experience PL level (RW/ST)

Abraham✅ = Goals (ST)

Rico Henry✅ = Plays exquisite football going forward and reliable defensively (LB)

Cuisance✅ = Dynamic,Dominant & excellent in possession (CM)

Sort it AVFC 🦁

Edited by RicRic
  • Confused 1

I'm feeling a little under whelmed with who we are being rumoured to be linked with so far, if all we end up signing is a few players DS has worked with before I don't feel that is showing much vision and won't fit in with how the board see the club in the future.

We need a couple of established PL/Bundesliga /La Liga players to build on last years efforts. Plus Jack will be driving himself up the M6 if all we are signing are Championship players..

• Like 2

5 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

I'm feeling a little under whelmed with who we are being rumoured to be linked with so far, if all we end up signing is a few players DS has worked with before I don't feel that is showing much vision and won't fit in with how the board see the club in the future.

We need a couple of established PL/Bundesliga /La Liga players to build on last years efforts. Plus Jack will be driving himself up the M6 if all we are signing are Championship players..

Ill be surprised if he’s not on his way there now after seeing the players we are closing in for 🤦🏽‍♂️ DS needs to realise these are players hes chosen to play at championship level not the premier league.. but it seems they feel they are capable at this level also. 22 million for watkins wow .. we havent learnt anything from Ross Mccormack and Scott Hogan obviously 🙄. Maybe one and two can step up like Benrahma and Rico Henry but lets not go overboard. 

As an aside - has anybody ever known a club to promote their new kits as aggressively as we are on social media? 

I understand it from a marketing perspective, but f*ck me, you'd swear it didn't happen every single year.

2 minutes ago, est1874 said:

As an aside - has anybody ever known a club to promote their new kits as aggressively as we are on social media? 

I understand it from a marketing perspective, but f*ck me, you'd swear it didn't happen every single year.

You can say that again.

*Dammit, beat me to it 😂

Edited by 7392craig
  • Haha 1

4 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Ill be surprised if he’s not on his way there now after seeing the players we are closing in for 🤦🏽‍♂️ DS needs to realise these are players hes chosen to play at championship level not the premier league.. but it seems they feel they are capable at this level also. 22 million for watkins wow .. we havent learnt anything from Ross Mccormack and Scott Hogan obviously 🙄. Maybe one and two can step up like Benrahma and Rico Henry but lets not go overboard. 

Yeah I know people say market prices and all that but over 20 mil for Watkins? Not sure about that it's a gamble decent return this season i know but......

I do think Benrahma seems the better punt.

31 minutes ago, RicRic said:

Benrahma✅ = Special Talent High Creativity (LW)

Origi✅ = High Intensity- Experience PL level (RW/ST)

Abraham✅ = Goals (ST)

Rico Henry✅ = Plays exquisite football going forward and reliable defensively (LB)

Cuisance✅ = Dynamic,Dominant & excellent in possession (CM)

Sort it AVFC 🦁

I think Rico Henry is a bit overrated by some. Statistically, he is a poor man's Ryan Sessegnon. The latter wasn't good enough for the PL and I'm not convinced RH is either. He has good moments within a game which catch the eye and paper over the shortcomings over the entire 90 minutes. 

Tammy isn't coming to us this summer so you need to get over it. 

I'm not sure how many forwards we are going to buy, considering we only play 1 up front. Watkins is highly likely to arrive, Wesley is likely to stay and, as Samatta was only signed in January, it is less likely he will be moved on so quickly (although not impossible). 

Sorry to piss on your parade but that the reality. 

Edited by Made In Aston

17 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

That's interesting while confusing...

When we are linked to players in the Bundesliga you call for the threads to be closed and happy when they are, but yet underwhelmed with links to players like Ollie Watkins in the Championship...? 

• Like 2

Just now, AvfcRigo82 said:

That's interesting while confusing...

When we are linked to players in the Bundesliga you call for the threads to be closed and happy when they are, but yet underwhelmed with links to players like Ollie Watkins in the Championship...? 

😂 that thread should have never been allowed to get to 100 pages!

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

I'm intrigued by the lack of real interest in Benrahma. Obviously a good player, but I wonder if the general consensus among PL clubs is that he won't be as effective doing what he does in the PL. 

I doubt it. Last season Benrahma outperformed Grealish, Maddison and Bowen in their comparible best championship seasons(In fact Benrahma was the best performing player in the division). All of those have made the step up to the PL, so I would be highly surprised if Benrahma didn't make it.

Just because you aren't reading lots of speculation doesn't mean PL clubs are not interested. 

• Like 2

17 minutes ago, zab6359 said:

😂 that thread should have never been allowed to get to 100 pages!

I don't think it matters how many pages it gets to.

The fact is, there was a link to a Bundesliga player which you're now saying you want to see us linked to after asking for a thread linking us to a Bundesliga player to be closed two days ago.

I'm not looking to expose you or anything, I'm just confused by your post mate that's all.

3 minutes ago, Trickster said:

I know Nixon is hit or miss, he mostly gets lower league stuff spot on and a few bigger clubs stuff. Interesting I guess that he says 'a couple'

He knows sweet nothing. I haven't seen him being right about anything since the Blackburn era. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, brummybloke said:

8 to 10 million ? Doesn't sound that much bearing in mind Brentfords striker with one season as a forward is being touted at 20 to 25 million ?

Was reported at the time as 12m which is a lot for anyone in that division to pay. I'd argue that even if you're right 8-10 is a lot in that division as well... Especially with no real return.