Summer Transfers Window 2020

sne

On 12/04/2020 at 13:31, Vive_La_Villa said:

I’ll take that wager. Let’s call it a £500? 

We need to define what ‘doing the business’ it though? 

Excellent. Sorry for late answer, been busy with the corona world. 

Well I'd say going down with our money and our squad.. anything, but winning the title would be disappointing, but lets just assume direct promotion is enough to keep us content. So 1-2 place should be a reasonable target. 

Then our main striker would have to net the average of what the normal strikers in those teams net. Using the last 10 years - this years as it's not finished (which is a shame - cause they are on track for a lot of goals), you end up with an average league goal achievement of 24,55 goals. I'll let the decimals slide and take that risk, so say 24 league goals. Wesley has to score 24 league goals. 

Bit worried this will just fade out though as football seem a long way to be played, and if it's played we might not even see us in the championship. But maybe @limpid can just keep track on this, and if we start up in the championship, we can pre-pay £ 500 to the site and whoever is right can get £ 500 refunded. 

Edited by KenjiOgiwara

7 hours ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

Excellent. Sorry for late answer, been busy with the corona world. 

Well I'd say going down with our money and our squad.. anything, but winning the title would be disappointing, but lets just assume direct promotion is enough to keep us content. So 1-2 place should be a reasonable target. 

Then our main striker would have to net the average of what the normal strikers in those teams net. Using the last 10 years - this years as it's not finished (which is a shame - cause they are on track for a lot of goals), you end up with an average league goal achievement of 24,55 goals. I'll let the decimals slide and take that risk, so say 24 league goals. Wesley has to score 24 league goals. 

Bit worried this will just fade out though as football seem a long way to be played, and if it's played we might not even see us in the championship. But maybe @limpid can just keep track on this, and if we start up in the championship, we can pre-pay £ 500 to the site and whoever is right can get £ 500 refunded. 

Wow I must have been really drunk when I replied to your email. There’s a typo with an extra 0 on there ;)

Let’s call it £50 to VT. Teams that get relegated generally struggle the first season so I’d rather go with ‘doing the business’ as being Wesley contributing to at least 20 goals. So that’s goals and assists. I think that would be a decent return for a player in his first year in the championship. Plus he will have come back from a pretty horrific injury so may need time to get up to speed.

Also happy to pre-pay if limpid agrees.

On 14/04/2020 at 16:03, sir_gary_cahill said:

I would take either of them here if you ask me. They’d both be on big wages but they have a lot of talent I think 

Would you have taken Lennon or Huddlestone when we were linked with them a few years ago? One is a squad player at Burnley, the other at Derby.

Walcott to me is a nothing player nowadays, no one even mentions him with regards to England squad anymore even when he has a couple of good Everton games. He's in semi retirement mode now and we've signed too many of that type in last decade.

I know people dislike us loaning young players in but I much prefer us going for up and coming young players with plenty to prove like Tammy or Kyle Walker.

In an ideal world I'd be going after Mason Greenwood or Gabriell Martinelli who have been excellent for their debut seasons in premier league but doubt either will be loaned out anytime soon.

Edited by VillaChris

On 14/04/2020 at 16:38, sir_gary_cahill said:

Who would you buy to play next to Mings then?

We need to find a Laursen type, on the fringes of major european club with vast international experience.

Ironically there is a Danish defender who fits that....Simon Kjaer.

He's played for Palermo, Wolfsburg, Roma, Lille, Fenerbache and Sevilla in his career. 95 caps for Denmark. 31 years old. Sevilla loaned him out to Atalanta but he only played 5 times and so went to Milan in January on loan. Not sure what's going on there other than to suggest he's available and he might fancy finshing off his career in England.

I can't say I've been hugely impressed with him so wouldn't be my first choice but in our current circumstances he'd be a transfer coup.

If we are really ambitious as every claims we're on the verge of being just sign Fabian Schar from Newcastle. To use your vocab SGC I think "he's excellent."

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

Would you have taken Lennon or Huddlestone when we were linked with them a few years ago? One is a squad player at Burnley, the other at Derby.

Walcott to me is a nothing player nowadays, no one even mentions him with regards to England squad anymore even when he has a couple of good Everton games. He's in semi retirement mode now and we've signed too many of that type in last decade.

I know people dislike us loaning young players in but I much prefer us going for up and coming young players with plenty to prove like Tammy or Kyle Walker.

In an ideal world I'd be going after Mason Greenwood or Gabriell Martinelli who have been excellent for their debut seasons in premier league but doubt either will be loaned out anytime soon.

I would’ve taken either of Huddlestone or Lennon a few years ago, you? 

Sadly, I think you’re living in a dream world if you think we can get Martinelli or Greenwood

51 minutes ago, VillaChris said:

We need to find a Laursen type, on the fringes of major european club with vast international experience.

He's played for Palermo, Wolfsburg, Roma, Lille, Fenerbache and Sevilla in his career. 95 caps for Denmark. 31 years old. Sevilla loaned him out to Atalanta but he only played 5 times and so went to Milan in January on loan. Not sure what's going on there other than to suggest he's available and he might fancy finshing off his career in England.

I can't say I've been hugely impressed with him so wouldn't be my first choice but in our current circumstances he'd be a transfer coup.

If we are really ambitious as every claims we're on the verge of being just sign Fabian Schar from Newcastle. To use your vocab SGC I think "he's excellent."

I was thinking about Kjaer the other day, I was wondering what happened to him, thanks for clearing it up. He’s 31 now, so he’s probably on the decline, maybe Smith can get a few years out of him.

I think Schaar is excellent too, you beat me to it. I doubt he’d come here, I don’t know, do you think he’d come here?

23 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

I was thinking about Kjaer the other day, I was wondering what happened to him, thanks for clearing it up. He’s 31 now, so he’s probably on the decline, maybe Smith can get a few years out of him.

I think Schaar is excellent too, you beat me to it. I doubt he’d come here, I don’t know, do you think he’d come here?

It will likely change now Newcastle are actually getting taken over as he's one of their best players so no. I remember though around the time Man. City had their take over and started signing they let Corluka go to Spurs who did a good job for them for a few seasons.

I'd at least like to think if we stay up and begin to establish ourselves again in the league we'd at least show ambition to try to tempt the best players of mid table teams.

• Thanks 1

13 hours ago, Vive_La_Villa said:

Wow I must have been really drunk when I replied to your email. There’s a typo with an extra 0 on there ;)

Let’s call it £50 to VT. Teams that get relegated generally struggle the first season so I’d rather go with ‘doing the business’ as being Wesley contributing to at least 20 goals. So that’s goals and assists. I think that would be a decent return for a player in his first year in the championship. Plus he will have come back from a pretty horrific injury so may need time to get up to speed.

Also happy to pre-pay if limpid agrees.

£ 50 is fine, and easier to donate as well since Limpid has set up that spesific donatation amount already.

I wouldn't say 20 goals as our lead striker in the championship would be "doing the business". We are going down after spending  £ 127 million and even if we'd lose a few players and buy a few (lets be fair we'd still spend more than anyone in that division), we'd still have a very very good team for that division. 20 goals in all comps. as a lead striker wouldn't impress me. But I'd still take that bet, cause it means Wesley, most likely, would have to score more than 1 in 3, and I can't for my life see that happening. 

Lets just see when the season starts. Either way if Samatta stays, there's no chance Wesley starting infront of him as a leader striker. Nor do I think we'd start the championship with Wesley as our lead striker if Samatta is sold, so we'd probably bring someone in. So it's probably easier just to donate £ 50 to this site right away. 

7 hours ago, VillaChris said:

Kjaer is pretty shit I think we could do a lot better. Milan fans hate him already and they have some really poor defenders in more recent times. 

Schar I think is more impressive in attack than defence as well, always impressed by Lascelles but seems injury prone and not sure if Rafa system made him look better

• Like 1

52 minutes ago, KenjiOgiwara said:

£ 50 is fine, and easier to donate as well since Limpid has set up that spesific donatation amount already.

I wouldn't say 20 goals as our lead striker in the championship would be "doing the business". We are going down after spending  £ 127 million and even if we'd lose a few players and buy a few (lets be fair we'd still spend more than anyone in that division), we'd still have a very very good team for that division. 20 goals in all comps. as a lead striker wouldn't impress me. But I'd still take that bet, cause it means Wesley, most likely, would have to score more than 1 in 3, and I can't for my life see that happening. 

Lets just see when the season starts. Either way if Samatta stays, there's no chance Wesley starting infront of him as a leader striker. Nor do I think we'd start the championship with Wesley as our lead striker if Samatta is sold, so we'd probably bring someone in. So it's probably easier just to donate £ 50 to this site right away. 

Good point about Samatta. I hadn’t considered that. Let’s see how the season ends first. If it ever does. 

13 hours ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Would anyone take Adam Lallana?

I doubt he would take us. I think he will get plenty of clubs to choose from. I like him, or perhaps I like the player, he once was, but I thought the same about Danny Ings :rolleyes:. If we stay up, I think we'll have plenty of available quality players to choose from. 

• Like 1

On 05/04/2020 at 23:07, romavillan said:

Engels might turn into a decent defender for us. He has shown some talent and he has had soem bad moments. IF we get the chance to stay up he'll get the chance to impress again but maybe with less pressure on him, if we sign 4 very good prem level players he will be under less pressure too, there's probably a few of our players that could turn out to be good enough long term, maybe they need to start as squad players though first. Might help them. 

He doesn't attack the ball enough for me, with confidence.....he appears tentative at certain times.....like you say, he could come good, sometimes players around you can unnerve you.

With centre backs, i like to see aerial dominance....that physical dominance, usually finds its way to the deck.....opposition players get wary........if you stand off or show hesitancy, opposition forwards grow in confidence.... its largely about winning that mental battle of supremacy.

a good enforcer in the middle, might make a difference too.

Edited by TRO

24 minutes ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Where have you seen that?

Egyptian journalist on Twitter. No idea how legitimate he is, but he’s got 60k followers. You’ll need to translate it but it says Newcastle have submitted a bid for Trez.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, Enda said:

Egyptian journalist on Twitter. No idea how legitimate he is, but he’s got 60k followers. You’ll need to translate it but it says Newcastle have submitted a bid for Trez.

Players aren’t allowed to play for 3 clubs in 1 season, aren’t they? I might have imagined that rule

1 hour ago, sir_gary_cahill said:

Players aren’t allowed to play for 3 clubs in 1 season, aren’t they? I might have imagined that rule

3 clubs in a calendar year SGC is the rule I believe.

• Thanks 1